Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Saw a Ridgeline pretending to be a truck...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 10:43 AM

Re: Saw a Ridgeline pretending to be a truck...

I test drove one for the hell of it one day. What a steaming pile of crap. It is like a **** version of a truck. The interior was horrible also. I have no idea what they were thinking when they designed the interior. The price was too high also.

Around here, homies like to put 22s on it and pimp out. Of course they will never use it as a real truck, so it works perfect for them
Old 10-30-2005, 05:01 PM

In response to "if you compare a ridgeline to a avalanche, you must be retarded"

Isn't the honda advertised as being a half ton? IF so, why is it being compared to a colorado?

I love the ridgeline commercial "it's a truck, and above all IT'S A HONDA"

Is an El Camino a truck? (it has a pretty big bed) I say if you really think a ridgeline is a truck, you're retarded.

TONY
Old 10-30-2005, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Threxx
Uhh.... guys?
Bed size on Colorado crew cab: 61.1x42.6x18.6 (width measured at wheel wells)
Bed on Ridgeline (which only comes in crewcab): 60.0x49.5x20.7
Ridgeline wins hands down.

And regardless of 'squat', it has a 5000 pound towing capacity and a 1500 pound bed capacity; that's higher than a lot of trucks its size.

What is it's size?
Curb weight: 4498 (for the loaded model, AWD)
Length: 206.8
Width: 77.8
Height: 70.3
Clearance: 8.2

So expecting it to compare to a 1500 Avalanche which is the following size:
Curb weight : 5654
Length: 221.60
Width: 79.8
Height: 73.6
Clearance: 8.6

Is positively retarded.

The Ridgeline is on the large side of a COMPACT truck, and its towing and bed weight specs are easily within normal specs for modern day compact trucks, in fact they exceed the Colorado/Canyon by quite a bit!

It's both body on frame and unibody
I'll agree that, on paper, the metrouck seems like the best buy in the market and im sure for a metro soccer dad desk jockey with nothing to do its the deal of a decade.

What these guys are talking about is the Reality of what theyre made of while under Light load.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:56 PM

Sounds like Honda tried to convert a few buyers by drawing them in on the strength of nameplate alone without going through rigourous development and cost to make a serious truck for its class.

It's like Honda tried to convince female buyers that it would be a good fashion statement to drive around in a Ridgeline in the city... Sorry for the stereotyping but I'm still trying to understand the logic behind the truck. Japanese tend to copy themselves in unison... that's why I'm puzzled why Honda didn't copy Toyota's Tundra.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:03 PM

Now if honda copied a tacoma/tundra. I would have no problem calling it a truck. I'm sure it would be pretty good too. I've had nothing but good luck with honda engines and trannies.

TONY
Old 10-30-2005, 06:12 PM

What I wanna know is how you guys are making fun of the bed, yet I showed the specs and it's only 1.1 inches shorter than the Colorado, plus significantly wider and a decent bit deeper, too.

Do you guys make fun of the Colorado bed? No... because it's not an import.

Beyond that I showed it tows more and holds more weight in the bed than the Colorado and quite a few other compact trucks.

The only decent response I've gotten is that for the price the Ridgeline costs you could get a 1500 series truck. True, the Ridgeline is expensive, but it also comes with a hell of a lot of creature comforts.

It's the 'luxury compact truck' of the market, but it can perform just as well if not better than those compact trucks while maintaining comfort as well.

Take a look at the Cadillac version of the avalanche. Would you make fun of it because for the same price you could buy an F250 diesel or a 2500 series Avalanche that would outclass it in every "manliman's way out there" despite those vehicles not being as posh and well equipped as the Caddy?

Point being if all you want is a cheap utilitarian compact truck the Ridgeline is not the choice for you. If you want something more comfortable for daily driving and something with more luxury car like equipment, the Ridgeline is a great choice. If wanting a truck to be nice automatically makes you metro then I guess that's that. But I hope to god none of y'all have anything more than the absolute base model trucks and would never buy a Caddy truck or a loaded up chevy or anything like that, because it's really no different at all except possibly for the fact that the Ridgeline uses *gasp* IRS. Hmmm... Expedition uses IRS, but I guess that doesn't count since it doesn't have a truck bed? Regardless, the Ridgeline is rated at 1500 pounds... so squat or not, it'll still take 1500 pounds, which is more than a Colorado or Canyon driver can say.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:24 PM

Its still an underpowerd, FWD car-based impostermobile, regardless of how you try to sell it Threxx. And its either Unibody or its not. Honda's marketing language notwithstanding...its a unibody vehicle. THe bed doesn't bolt to the frame...and in fact the bed and body are 1 piece. Its unibody.

Its just not a TRUCK. At best its a crossover SUV with a bed.

I was pretty sure you were the Ridgeline apologist. Not suprised it didn't take you long to jump to its defense.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:30 PM

I'm anxiously waiting for the day when I see somebody put a lift kit on a ridgeline with some 36" Super Swamper Boggers.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Threxx
What I wanna know is how you guys are making fun of the bed, yet I showed the specs and it's only 1.1 inches shorter than the Colorado, plus significantly wider and a decent bit deeper, too.

Do you guys make fun of the Colorado bed? No... because it's not an import.

Beyond that I showed it tows more and holds more weight in the bed than the Colorado and quite a few other compact trucks.

The only decent response I've gotten is that for the price the Ridgeline costs you could get a 1500 series truck. True, the Ridgeline is expensive, but it also comes with a hell of a lot of creature comforts.

It's the 'luxury compact truck' of the market, but it can perform just as well if not better than those compact trucks while maintaining comfort as well.

Take a look at the Cadillac version of the avalanche. Would you make fun of it because for the same price you could buy an F250 diesel or a 2500 series Avalanche that would outclass it in every "manliman's way out there" despite those vehicles not being as posh and well equipped as the Caddy?

Point being if all you want is a cheap utilitarian compact truck the Ridgeline is not the choice for you. If you want something more comfortable for daily driving and something with more luxury car like equipment, the Ridgeline is a great choice. If wanting a truck to be nice automatically makes you metro then I guess that's that. But I hope to god none of y'all have anything more than the absolute base model trucks and would never buy a Caddy truck or a loaded up chevy or anything like that, because it's really no different at all except possibly for the fact that the Ridgeline uses *gasp* IRS. Hmmm... Expedition uses IRS, but I guess that doesn't count since it doesn't have a truck bed? Regardless, the Ridgeline is rated at 1500 pounds... so squat or not, it'll still take 1500 pounds, which is more than a Colorado or Canyon driver can say.
Am I missing something here? You keep bringing up the Colorado, but isn't the Ridgeline supposed to be a full size truck?
Old 10-30-2005, 06:40 PM

My biggest issue with the Ridgeline is that it is a huge, arrogant cheap out on Honda's part. Rather than spending the cash to develop a proper V-8, rear wheel drive, body on frame truck, they took the easy way out with a bastardized Pilot. Anyone who thinks that this is simply "Honda thinking outside the box" is wrong. If they had the resources and know how to engineer a proper truck they would have. Fact is, Honda does not make any vehicle that is RWD and heavy duty, and it would be a pretty intensive task for them to make one. That's why they spend so much marketing money trying to convince everyone it is a realy truck that can tow 5,000lbs. I would love to actually see a Ridgeline loaded with 5,000lb's trying to pull it.

If the Ridgeline was such a great idea, Toyota would not be spending billions on developing traditional trucks.

That's because it is a Pilot with a bed on the back....not a truck. It is kind of the El Camino of SUV's

Last edited by formula79; 10-30-2005 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:32 PM

Talking Re: Saw a Ridgeline pretending to be a truck...

Don't waste your time Threxx. Most people here are brain washed and only want to put down something that isn't either GM or made by an American owned company (exept for some reason Chrysler) anyway, there are all kinds of trucks for all kinds of needs. Mine is a daily driver that hauls my dirt bike on the weekends an occasional other stuff a homeowner might need, so my priority isn't a truck that outperforms a big rig. The Ridgline is a mid-size and compares well to it's competition. It's price is comperable to it's competition when you consider all that it's got. There is no (unfortunately) base two-wheel drive model. It doesn't sag with a load in the bed (any more than any other truck) I've seen one on the net with two street bikes in the bed and it looked fine, and I've been happily married to a beautiful woman for 21 years, so I'm sure i didn't buy it because I was gay.
Believe me, if this thing turns out to be a P.O.S., I'll be the first to chime in and let you know. I've been honest about my feelings concerning GM after being a loyal customer since the 70's. I don't tie my ego to my car (or truck). If a company earns my loyalty, they'll get it.
If you makes you all feel better.....bash on. I'm still incredibly happy that I bought one.

BTW; a dirt bike will only fit in a long bed truck with the tailgate closed, unless you turn it at an angle. I had a Silverado extended cab and that's what I had to do, so the fact that the back wheel of my dirt bike sits on the tailgate is of no inconvenience.

Last edited by 3SuperSports; 10-30-2005 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:34 PM

The only person comparing it to the Colorado here is you. Honda's prices put it firmly in the realm of the full-size pickups. It's advertising proclaims it a half-ton. That about does it for me; you mention half-ton, you get judged amoungst the half-tons. And in that category, in terms of capability, the Ridgeline is clearly lacking. It's bed is ridiculously small/borderline unusuable for a true half-ton truck. Perhaps we are supposed to open the "trunk" and stand a 4-wheeler (or dirt-bike) upright? Surely Honda cannot make a poor-first effort at a vehicle it's never built before (shudders; remembering tha first-generation Odyssey "minivan")!
Old 10-30-2005, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by cmutt
The only person comparing it to the Colorado here is you. Honda's prices put it firmly in the realm of the full-size pickups. It's advertising proclaims it a half-ton. That about does it for me; you mention half-ton, you get judged amoungst the half-tons. And in that category, in terms of capability, the Ridgeline is clearly lacking. It's bed is ridiculously small/borderline unusuable for a true half-ton truck. Perhaps we are supposed to open the "trunk" and stand a 4-wheeler (or dirt-bike) upright? Surely Honda cannot make a poor-first effort at a vehicle it's never built before (shudders; remembering tha first-generation Odyssey "minivan")!
My last S-10 was rated a half ton.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by formula79
My biggest issue with the Ridgeline is that it is a huge, arrogant cheap out on Honda's part. Rather than spending the cash to develop a proper V-8, rear wheel drive, body on frame truck, they took the easy way out with a bastardized Pilot. Anyone who thinks that this is simply "Honda thinking outside the box" is wrong. If they had the resources and know how to engineer a proper truck they would have. Fact is, Honda does not make any vehicle that is RWD and heavy duty, and it would be a pretty intensive task for them to make one. That's why they spend so much marketing money trying to convince everyone it is a realy truck that can tow 5,000lbs. I would love to actually see a Ridgeline loaded with 5,000lb's trying to pull it.

If the Ridgeline was such a great idea, Toyota would not be spending billions on developing traditional trucks.

That's because it is a Pilot with a bed on the back....not a truck. It is kind of the El Camino of SUV's
I really can't disagree with anything you just posted. That seems to be exactly why Honda built the Ridgeline the way they did. This is not coming from some import bias crap, before I am accused of it. I have no problem with the Tacoma or the Frontier. I just think Honda cheaped out on the truck, and under any kind of load for too long I think something is gonna give. There is a reason you don't see rear coil springs on any truck but the Ridgeline. It being primarily fwd (I know its "awd", at least until 18mph when it is full fwd), and having no low range, this thing has to be crap for offroading too. It really is the answer to the yuppie's desire for a truck.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:46 PM

On Honda's website, two of the vehicles you can compare it to are the Colorado and Avalance.

Quick Reply: Saw a Ridgeline pretending to be a truck...