Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Not your usual question about the new Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 12:11 AM

Post Not your usual question about the new Cobra

Ok I have been wondering for a while now why Ford does this. I mean has any one noticed how they are still using their gauges that say Low HIgh and Normal? I mean people are dishing out money for one of the fastest, most powerful, $35K mustang and they can't get gauges with numbers on it? Does Ford think their customers are dumb or something and don't know how to read a numbered gauge? I just can't believe that they are still using the Low Normal and High gauges even on the supercharged Cobra.
Old 07-21-2002, 10:38 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by super83Z:
Ok I have been wondering for a while now why Ford does this. I mean has any one noticed how they are still using their gauges that say Low HIgh and Normal? I mean people are dishing out money for one of the fastest, most powerful, $35K mustang and they can't get gauges with numbers on it? Does Ford think their customers are dumb or something and don't know how to read a numbered gauge? I just can't believe that they are still using the Low Normal and High gauges even on the supercharged Cobra.</font>
Ya know, its sad when GM loyalists have to dig this deep to get a reason to not buy a Ford.

Dreamaster

Old 07-21-2002, 12:52 PM

They don't put the numbers on the gauges because they are useless. What most automakers use now are what I call "idiot gauges". These gauges don't give output based on what the input says... it first goes through the computer. If everything is okay, it just pegs the needle in the middle of "normal" or only allows movement in a few invisible 'notches' across the dial. This is because most people are morons and are scared by fluctuating gauges. For example - on the 1994 camaro I used to own, you could see the temperature gauge fluctuate when the thermostat would open and close, or when the car would be stopped in traffic etc... as well as the oil pressure. After warm up, my Mustang is always right in the middle of normal for both. Most auto companies do this "idiot gauge' thing now. Some of them give you numbers, but they don't really mean anything.

It's completely worthless to have gauges like this IMHO.

But the worst thing Ford does like this, is NOT GIVING YOU A REDLINE ON THE TACH on the Focus, Cougar, Explorer Sport/Sport Trac...etc. I'm waiting for them to replace the tach numbers with another "NORMAL" band.

------------------
If it breaks, it wasn't high performance enough.

2001 Mustang Bullitt GT
2000 Jetta M5
Old 07-21-2002, 01:20 PM

While we're "digging deep", I had a similar thought when I looked at a new Cobra convertible in a Ford showroom. What bugged me most was when I opened the hood and had to use a prop rod! $39K and they still use a stick to hold up the hood!
Old 07-21-2002, 02:43 PM

Art Hyde was asked this very question a while back. His answer was that it wasn't worth the money needed to change the way the gauges work from the V6 to the GT to the Cobra. IE....it would just drive up the cost xxxx more (don't know exactly how much).

As for the prop rod....I'll keep it, thank you very much. It adhers to the KISS principle, and likely won't wear out too quickly.

------------------
Bob Cosby

99 SVT Cobra 'Black Cloud'

4.56 gears in an 8.8 live axle
JBA 1 5/8th shorty headers
Dr.Gas X-pipe w/Magnaflow catback
March Underdrive Pulleys
WMS Cold Air Induction
Autologic Chip
BFG 275/50/15 Drag Radials

Best ET: 11.85@112.9 w/1.679 60'
Englishtown NJ, 18 Oct 01