Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Next gen Saab 9-5 on Zeta?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 12:32 AM

Next gen Saab 9-5 on Zeta?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/?http:/...y.php?id=48453
Monday 19th July 2004

Call Of The Wild for 9-5

The Scandinavian revolution starts here. Saab's drive to be more modern and vibrant has begun, and we've got our hands on the official proof.

These exclusive top-secret sketches are from the firm's design team, and are part of the project to replace the ageing 9-5. According to sources, they are the last work of ex-styling chief Michael Mauer and were finished days before he defected to Porsche in April. The images reveal three versions of the new 9-5 - a saloon, estate and a four-door hatchback supercar.

Due on sale by 2007, the radical range should rid the brand of its executive rep image. The hatchback has a swept-up tail and wears spectacular 21-inch wheels. Insiders have told us the car will get a new grille design, with a prominent centre section that stands out from the rest of the nose.

The new estate is vastly different from today's model. Similar to the Honda Accord Tourer, the sketch shows a long, low car, with continuous side windows. It also features prominent wraparound headlamps, although designers have stuck with Saab's traditional clamshell bonnet. The sporting saloon is perhaps the most conventional of the three, revealing clear links with the current car.

Our sources tell us Saab has yet to rubber-stamp the plans to replace the 9-5, but it's possible that any new model will use GM's rear-wheel-drive chassis from the Insignia concept. That would be a radical move for the company, which has long been associated with front-wheel-drive models. The new 9-5 will still use turbocharged four-cylinder engines, as well as GM's 3.2-litre V6 in normally aspirated and turbo forms. Hilton Holloway

Last edited by Z284ever; 07-22-2004 at 12:46 AM.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:17 AM

Re: Next gen Saab 9-5 on Zeta?

i don't know, but i like the 93 and the styling of the saabs alot. i would say they are headed in the right direction, but i think they are already there. how well do they sell? are they expensive. if i was looking for a new car i would look into them, to me they are like a cross between audi and bmw.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:53 AM

I also like the 9-3's styling, very agressive. The wheel fenders flare out and give it a very muscular stance.
Zeta is going to bring a lot tot he table for GM.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:55 PM

I think the newer SAABs look very BMWish, not the current ones but like 2 years ago before they got Bangled.