Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

New Gearbox Shifts In Zero Milliseconds!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by 1fastdog
If CVT were "all that" they would run them in F-1 instead of sequential manuals. That, or they would be "outlawed" as an unfair advantage. I don't recall of any CVT being legislated in any sanctioned series. ABS? Yes. Traction control? Yes. Launch control? Yes. Etc. ... Etc.
CVT still have torque limitations last I heard well under that of what formula 1 cars are pushing out.

Not to mention due to parasitic loss greater than that of manual type gearboxes they're still often times slower. Fuel economy and smooth driving experience is where they benefit the most at the moment. Well that and they're also cheaper to produce/replace than autos.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:43 PM

From the animation they have on their website, it looks like power is being transmitted through those tabs in the "synco". Those rings would have to be made out of something quite strong and expensive to hold power, even in low torque applications. I would think it could run into the same torque limitations that are see in CVTs.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:54 PM

what a bunch of marketing BS. also, they incorrectly describe the shift time of the DSG when they say it's no faster than a human can shift with a traditional manual gearbox. the DSG can change gears in .08 seconds
Old 03-15-2009, 12:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by stangitr
what a bunch of marketing BS.
Totally. Nothing happens in "zero" seconds.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by blackflag
Totally. Nothing happens in "zero" seconds.
I think they mean that there are zero milliseconds in which the engine is totally disengaged from the wheels; a continuous flow of power (and without the losses incurred by a torque converter).
Old 03-14-2010, 10:03 AM

6 years. My how time flies.

http://www.zeroshift.com

Developments in the last year include the worlds first 8 speed fwd transmission. It doesn't look like they have an actual prototype though.
pdf: http://www.zeroshift.com/press/World...el%20drive.pdf

Here's something interesting I misinterpreted from before.

They put up a graph of different engine and shaft speeds. At first I thought the engine was somehow taking the brunt of the shift when dropping the rpm's so quickly. Looking at the graph, I'm assuming the input shaft is what comes from the engine and there seems to be something unusual going on there. The input shaft rpm doesn't match the engine rpm. After the shift the input shaft takes the hit while the engine is slowly tapering down like some sort of CVT. Hmmmm.

http://www.zeroshift.com/graphs.html
Old 03-14-2010, 01:01 PM

Vaporware... from what I can see.

There is no shortage of Beta testers for anything that offers an advantage, particularly in racing.

I have pals that run the Hollinger and Xtrac trannies. Actual pieces.

Hollingers don't hold a candle to Xtrac's stuff. The price of admission reflects that.

All due respect to anyone talking up a better mousetrap. Thing is, you have to catch some mice as opposed to talking about catching mice in the abstract.

Last edited by 1fastdog; 03-14-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:21 PM

I get a kick out of reading these old threads. This quote about the Segway made me

Originally Posted by hp_nut
Perfectly serious. It's an amazing machine created by a true genius and it is in the process of revolutionizing human transportation.

This tranny development is along similar lines if true.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by ImportedRoomate
6 years. My how time flies.

http://www.zeroshift.com

Developments in the last year include the worlds first 8 speed fwd transmission. It doesn't look like they have an actual prototype though.
pdf: http://www.zeroshift.com/press/World...el%20drive.pdf

Here's something interesting I misinterpreted from before.

They put up a graph of different engine and shaft speeds. At first I thought the engine was somehow taking the brunt of the shift when dropping the rpm's so quickly. Looking at the graph, I'm assuming the input shaft is what comes from the engine and there seems to be something unusual going on there. The input shaft rpm doesn't match the engine rpm. After the shift the input shaft takes the hit while the engine is slowly tapering down like some sort of CVT. Hmmmm.

http://www.zeroshift.com/graphs.html
I'm curious about what the torque damper is. To me it would seem to indicate there is some sort of device or system in place that is additional to the Zeroshift gearset. While I'm guessing that it smooths out the instant torque change, what does it do to the instant changes that we were supposed to see? It also appears to introduce slippage into the system somewhere, (crank speed and input shaft speed should be the same otherwise) leading to inefficiency and heat. That would seem to defeat their stated benefits.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:58 PM

Re: New Gearbox Shifts In Zero Milliseconds!

Old 03-14-2011, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Old 03-14-2011, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Threxx
Their website states (and has stated since February 2004)
"It is reasonable to expect that in 10 years time every car will be built with a gearbox operating in the ZeroShift principle"
2 years 11 months until every car is built on the ZeroShift principle!

Weird, though... I kind of figured that like with most technologies, it would slowly ramp up into production with more and more cars. The way things are going this may be one of those overnight things where in 2 years 10 months and 27 days we all wake up and the car industry says "SURPRISE!!! Every new car we build from this day forward will have zeroshift!"
Old 03-14-2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Threxx
2 years 11 months until every car is built on the ZeroShift principle!

Weird, though... I kind of figured that like with most technologies, it would slowly ramp up into production with more and more cars. The way things are going this may be one of those overnight things where in 2 years 10 months and 27 days we all wake up and the car industry says "SURPRISE!!! Every new car we build from this day forward will have zeroshift!"
If their website is still stating that it's reasonable to expect Zeroshift in every car within 10 years, they will never be wrong. 10 years from today is 3/14/2021.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:57 PM
Koz

Just seeing this thread on the first page made me laugh.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:00 PM

Ah.....memories!!!

Quick Reply: New Gearbox Shifts In Zero Milliseconds!