Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

New ad campaign for GM Goodwrench

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 12:11 PM

New ad campaign for GM Goodwrench

The new slogan is "...because who knows what's down the road?"

New Ad Campaign

There's a more serious tone, and implications of neglecting maintenance and the potential problems it can lead to.
In short, GM is moving away from the humorous Goodwrench commercials of late, trying to bolster the service end of the business.

I think it's a good move overall, but I question the slogan.
It doesn't "jingle", or strike a chord that will have people talking about it at water coolers. It is also very close to Ford's current slogan "Built for the Road Ahead."
Both imply a visionary demeanor, but the companies are just not producing visionary cars IMO.

Oh well. Thoughts?
Old 10-25-2005, 12:14 PM

Re: New ad campaign for GM Goodwrench

IMO... seems way too negative for me. Like "Hey, our **** breaks." All cars break, but dont go out of the way to remind people of it.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:17 PM

i think it's a good idea to get away from the "funny" commercials and all, but i'm just not feeling the tag line. i like the idea of getting people more informed about their vehicles maintenence, but i would rather see them focus on how ignoring maintenence at any level can lead to big trouble. i always like the Castrol commercials that basically said your oil gets old and it can kill your car(viscosity and thermal breakdown and such). i'd like to see more manufacturers say "we make great cars, but if you don't take care of them, they will go bad"
Old 10-25-2005, 12:39 PM

I think it is a great idea, there are numerous people who buy brand new vehicles and neglect to do the simple stuff like 20.00 oil changes or a 10.00 air cleaner and they wonder why they experience major problems down the road. My g/fs mother never changed the oil in her Saturn and wondered why it was burning 3.5qts. of oil per month with only 80,000 miles on the odometer.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck!
IMO... seems way too negative for me. Like "Hey, our **** breaks." All cars break, but dont go out of the way to remind people of it.
That's just what I was thinking but you saved me from typing it.

It seems almost... like a threat or a warning.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:33 PM

think about this guys......about 2 years ago at my old shop, a lady was towed in with her 2001 Mazda 929 with approximatley 50K miles on it. her engine seized and did not want to take it to the dealer because they were a rip off according to her. our shop was reccomended by the tow truck driver. we pull the dipstick and there is oil on it, very dirty oil, strange thing was, it didn't want to go back in. engine did not turn what so ever. we dropped the oil pan and after the shock set in realized we were looking at about 5 1/2qts of SOLID OIL!!!!! when we asked her when the last time she had it serviced, she replied(and i'll never forget this) "They never told me i had to have it serviced when i bought it." people like this exist and they are the ones that need a more "shock and awe" approach to regular maintenence. i see things like this all the time at my job. we tow in people off the turnpike all the time that don't even know what the lights on the dash mean when they come on.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:44 PM

The company my mom works for is responsible for those ads.