Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Finally!!! A Chevy ad campaign that's NOT stupid!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 06:13 PM

Finally!!! A Chevy ad campaign that's NOT stupid!

Chevrolet Launches 'An American Revolution' Campaign, Previews Aggressive New Product Rollout

Chevy reaffirms goal of industry leadership
Company to launch 10 new products in the next 20 months
Launch spot by film director Michael Bay to debut on New Year's Eve
DETROIT -- Chevrolet will use "An American Revolution" as the theme for a comprehensive new advertising campaign to support its launch of 10 new Chevy cars and trucks during the next 20 months, Gary Cowger, president, GM North America, announced today.

The new product barrage, which includes a completely updated passenger car lineup, a new midsize pickup, three innovative utility and crossover vehicles and two new halo vehicles, is part of Chevrolet's strategy to increase sales to 3 million cars and trucks per year and reclaim industry leadership in the U.S. market.

Cowger announced "An American Revolution" by unveiling a full-size Chevrolet billboard featuring a yellow Chevy SSR. Chevrolet also previewed television and print advertising with the theme, including a 60-second launch spot by film director Michael Bay that will debut New Year's Eve.

Malibu Maxx begins Chevy's new product blitz

The all-new Malibu Maxx, which began production in December, begins a Chevrolet product blitz that will include the launch of 10 all-new products in just 20 months. Market launches for the new Colorado, Aveo and SSR begin in January 2004, followed later in the year by the Equinox compact utility vehicle, Uplander crossover sport van and the sixth-generation Corvette. A new premium small car, called Cobalt, will debut in the fourth quarter of 2004, followed in 2005 by a new Impala and the HHR, a crossover vehicle with a unique blend of Chevrolet style and versatility. These introductions will help ensure that Chevy continues to have the most complete lineup of cars and trucks in the industry.

"All of these Chevy vehicles provide game-changing design, innovative features and tremendous commitment to quality and technology," said Brent Dewar, Chevrolet general manager. "An American Revolution is about our confidence to produce imaginative, dependable products and compete with the best in the world."

New ad campaign celebrates "An American Revolution"

Chevrolet will support its new product blitz with a new advertising and marketing campaign with the theme, "An American Revolution."

"We wanted to capture the sense that something big is happening at Chevrolet," said Kim Kosak, general director for advertising and sales promotion.

Chevy car and truck advertising will come together under the new "An American Revolution" theme, with the Chevy Truck "Like a Rock" theme continuing as an important element in Silverado advertising. Chevrolet chose a single theme so that the multiple vehicle launches would converge into a single, powerful campaign.

"'An American Revolution' brings our product lineup together and clearly communicates a bold new attitude at Chevrolet," said Kosak.

Chevrolet will preview the campaign starting on Dec. 19 with outdoor advertising in key markets. Television advertising will begin Dec. 31 when the anthem spot, called "Car Carrier," debuts on New Year's Eve programming. Chevrolet will be the title sponsor for Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve and a major sponsor on The Late Show with David Letterman and The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. Chevrolet will also be at the epicenter of New Year's Eve with colorful electronic billboards in the heart of Times Square, on both the Reuters Building and the ABC Supersign.

"Car Carrier" was directed by renowned director Michael Bay, whose feature film credits include the "Bad Boys" films, "The Rock" and "Pearl Harbor." Consumers recently got a sneak peek at the spot when a sharp-eyed fan nabbed several spy photos of the new Corvette while it was being filmed in San Francisco.

The tone of the campaign will be optimistic, with striking colors, uplifting music and a strong focus on both the features of each vehicle and its connection to peoples' lives. Said Kosak, "It's a clean approach that lets the vehicle dominate the message while also communicating the overall personality of Chevrolet."

A passion for innovation

From its earliest days America has attracted people who have brought with them the best ideas from around the globe and a passion for combining these ideas in exciting and innovative ways. "From this nation, built by immigrants, came clever ideas and sweeping change, in everything from music to technology to literature to the arts and beyond," said Cowger

Examples of Chevrolet ingenuity include highly visible vehicles like the SSR with its unique convertible top and Corvette, America's performance icon for more than 50 years. But Chevy ingenuity also includes cars like the Malibu Maxx, with its flexible, innovative interior and confident driving dynamics, and the new Equinox compact utility vehicle, which will be a "game-changer" in the segment with its striking design, versatile interior and standard V-6 power.

Building from a strong base

Chevrolet's current product renaissance began in 1999 with the introduction of the all-new Silverado, followed by new Tahoe and Suburban, Impala, TrailBlazer and other models. These strong new products helped Chevrolet sell more than 2.6 million vehicles per year in the face of relentless competition from domestic and foreign competitors, creating a strong base for Chevrolet's next 10 new product launches.

"Each of these new products brings the opportunity to further increase Chevy sales," said Dewar. "By strengthening our truck and halo vehicle lineups and aggressively growing our car and compact utility lineups, we believe that our goal of 3 million sales is well within our reach."
Old 12-18-2003, 06:26 PM

BTW ...that "Car Carrier" commercial is what was being filmed when those famous shots of the red C6 from San Francisco were taken....and yes that was "THE" car carrier. The commercial also includes some stunt driving from an Aveo......(I'm not kidding!)
Old 12-18-2003, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by Z284ever
The commercial also includes some stunt driving from an Aveo......(I'm not kidding!)

-Mike
Old 12-18-2003, 08:49 PM

this is a bad@$$ theme in my opinion
also, booking as title sponsor for new years eve is agreat way to get people to look at ya products

on a side note: stunt driving in an aveo?
Old 12-18-2003, 09:00 PM

Here's some Aveo stunt pics with some bonus SSR pics from the Car Carrier.

http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_062752

http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_062751

http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_062762

http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_062763

http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_062761

http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_062772
Old 12-18-2003, 09:11 PM

the aveo stunts remind me of crazy soccer moms trying to get somewhere in a hurry
atleast do some stunts in a worthwhile car, not your average family grocery getter
ssr don't look too shabby though
Old 12-18-2003, 09:14 PM

Just the thought of it gives me goosebumps An actual, DECENT, un-embarrassing Chevy ad. I thought Fuel for the Soul with Pontiac was great...this could be even better.

I have always wanted to kill the person that got rid of the "Heartbeat of America" campaign...Genuine Chevrolet? We'll be there? My ***
Old 12-18-2003, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by Z284ever

http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_062752

Hmmmm... well, well, what is that Magnetic Red familar looking car on the top of the car carrier?

Looks like the San Fran C6 to me!!
Old 12-18-2003, 11:39 PM

it is, they intentionally blurred it to. somebodies a smart cookie
http://x.wieck.com/pv/WKA/2003/12/18...1839657_pv.jpg
thats another

Last edited by number77; 12-18-2003 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:31 AM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

The campaign has been in the works since last summer and everyone involved was expected to sign a confidentiality agreement. Amazingly, it never leaked out.....

You WILL want to set up your VCRs on New Years Eve if you're going to be out and about....the "Car Carrier" Ad is incredible.....

It was shown the other day to the Chevy Organization and the crowd went nuts..........

Quite frankly, I was surprised that Legal approved it......something about Mr. Lutz really believeing in the ad....

The future looks bright indeed!
Old 12-19-2003, 01:57 AM

I just saw the mailbu ad tonight during the bowl game.
Old 12-19-2003, 05:08 AM

Unless I missed it skimming the article, what network and time (eastern) will the ad display? I'll set my DRV
Old 12-19-2003, 07:49 AM

Holy Moses!! Seems the emergency brake of GM has been pulled and they've done a 180...if nothing else than in advertising...

I can't believe I'm gonna set up my VCR to record a commercial?!? How ironic!

Old 12-19-2003, 10:23 AM

This looks great and everything....but do they really need to put a rebadged Daewoo in the American Revolution ads? Thats definately not going to be a selling point.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by Red Planet
..It was shown the other day to the Chevy Organization and the crowd went nuts..........

Quite frankly, I was surprised that Legal approved it......something about Mr. Lutz really believeing in the ad....
You gotta be less timid my friend!

I remember someone brought up the idea of a commercial just like this a couple of months ago, and you said it'd never be done because of legal issues.

If ya don't try, ya won't know.

BTW: It seems Aveo is a bit of a hit. I'm seeing alot of those things around. For what the car actually is (small, very cheap transportation appliance) it's actually a really good looking car.

Last edited by guionM; 12-19-2003 at 10:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Finally!!! A Chevy ad campaign that's NOT stupid!