Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

My impressions on the Rx-8

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by Chuck!
No, a rotary at 5k rpm sounds terrible, I cant imagine what it sounds like at 9k lol.
And with no muffler it is truly the most gawd-awful, painful noise I've ever heard.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:56 PM

That engine is awful, the auto and maual both have the same engine but the auto only revs up to 7,500 RPM+/- thus only puts out a peak HP of 207HP, this is due to the auto transmission not reving that high. This engine is so weak it only puts out like 159tq. you probably can't even spin the tires on this thing!!!

THey would have been better off using the Ford V6 that is in the Mazda 6

Plus the fuel economy sucks for a call that light, Camaro got better highway milage and put out about 100HP more and 200tq more. Plus those RX8 engine are dirter than most engine and they consume oil, I read it almost didn't meet US emissions requirements

Last edited by Z28x; 07-30-2003 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:09 PM

Sure ithe Rx-8 is down on torque, but from an engineering standpoint it is a step forward. The engine is smaller, lighter, more efficient and makes more horsepower than the turbo engine in the Rx-7. It may not be perfect, but I'm sure it satisfies rotary enthusiest.

The Rx-8 has a power output similar to a S2000 in both numbers and the power curve itself. It runs mid 14s and will appeal to the kind of customer would also consider the Porsche Boxter and S2000. All of those cars kind of have the same mission. Decent power, high revs and excellent handling. Each just has its own flair, whether it be a high revving 4, mid mounted flat 6 or in Mazdas case the rotary. These cars all focus more on the driving experience as a whole than quartermile times.

I think most of the people on this sight are going to be a bit biased seeing that we perfer power over most other performance attributes. I think when the Rx-7 comes, assuming it does we'll see more power due to larger displacement. Mazda knows Americans love torque, its just hard to get it out of a rotary motor.

I read that chances of us seeing a turbo version are slim due to the fact that this motor is a lot cleaner than the previous designs. The exhaust isnt quite as hot and putting a turbo in the exhaust stream woudl make it hard to spark the cats quickly. I'm sure engineers could work a way around this, but time will tell.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:59 PM

I wonder if this car wil have some of the same pitfalls as the RX7 did such as really expensive, specialized parts, shops that don't know how to work on the car and most likely have to be done by the dealer. There is still the reliability issue which is not proven yet.

I have to agree about a no-muffler rotary putting out thwe most awful sound ever..................it sounds like a tractor that is on its last leg.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by bigsteve7
Sure ithe Rx-8 is down on torque, but from an engineering standpoint it is a step forward. The engine is smaller, lighter, more efficient and makes more horsepower than the turbo engine in the Rx-7. It may not be perfect, but I'm sure it satisfies rotary enthusiest.

The Rx-8 has a power output similar to a S2000 in both numbers and the power curve itself. It runs mid 14s and will appeal to the kind of customer would also consider the Porsche Boxter and S2000. All of those cars kind of have the same mission. Decent power, high revs and excellent handling. Each just has its own flair, whether it be a high revving 4, mid mounted flat 6 or in Mazdas case the rotary. These cars all focus more on the driving experience as a whole than quartermile times.
I think you hit the nail on the head with your post, especially when you spoke of driving experience. And I agree with you that this Mazda delivers a unique driving experience that does not have to be dictated by torque. Overall it is a very appealing package.