Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles
View Poll Results: For the money, which would you buy?
32K for GTO
53.08%
25K for Mustang GT
46.92%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

For the money, which would you buy? GT for 25K or GTO for 34K?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 09:46 AM

For the money, which would you buy? GT for 25K or GTO for 34K?

Someone asked me this the other day, and I didn't quite have an answer.

Would you rather have a GTO for 32K or a Mustang GT for 25K?

As many of you know, I have certain issues with the Mustang. Namely.....I think it grew alittle too big and has excessive rear overhangs.

I've seen a whole bunch on the street. But last night as I was driving home from the office, I had a black V6 right next to me, in the next lane. I had a good 4 or 5 minutes to check it out - in motion- close-up and from different angles. I admit, it was hard not to like what I saw.

So honestly, which would everyone buy? GT for 25K or GTO for 7 grand more?
Old 03-06-2005, 09:49 AM

Re: For the money, which would you buy? GT for 25K or GTO for 34K?

GTO. The more I see the 05 in person on the road, the worse it looks. Of course this is my opinion.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:53 AM

Honestly, I would make every effort to scrape up the cash for the GTO. But Im a diehard, and I want an gen III/IV instead of a mod-motor under the hood. I too, have been converted by the new Mustang, and its parent company that actually seems to give a rats *** about their customers in this market....

I still say Pontiac could sell more of them if they werent all loaded with options. Make leather, automatic, the colored seats, and maybe some other googaws optional, and give it a more realistic BASE price. Hell, you could probably even go ahead and add some other options, like a nav system. But selling a car only one way is bound to hurt sales.

Its become obvious to me that GM thought they could sell these things to the older people who bought the origionals when they were new. But the styling and lack of a carburetorr nixes that.

Mustang on the other hand, has simply done everything right. Bring a body style that has some flash to it, whether or not everyone likes it, add a little bit of power, use RWD, and base it under $20k. Sure, there will eventually be a $40k Cobra sitting alongside the $19.5k V6s, but thats the point. OPTIONS. Why is this so hard for GM to understand?
Old 03-06-2005, 09:54 AM

Considering what I was willing to pay for my '02 Firehawk, a GTO in the low 30's is a good deal. Obviously, I was convinced that my '04 GTO was a STEAL at just under 26k. I'm not easily satisfied by "good enough" so the Mustang stands no chance with me. Don't get me wrong, I actually like the Mustang-Ford did a nice job. But, with the GTO out there,I have no reason to look at Mustang in a serious way.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:01 AM

With all due respect to the original poster, and even though the comments are (and likely will continue to be) quite interesting, isn't the results of this poll a foregone conclusion on this site?
Old 03-06-2005, 10:02 AM

GT.. The GTO is too overpriced
Old 03-06-2005, 10:03 AM

If I had the cash, I'd go with the Goat. I dont like the Mustang at all. Just my opinion but I think it looks so disproportioned. (Rounded greenhouse, squared off nose, flat slabs for it sides and another sqaure for the rear) Just my opinion however.

The GTO is my type car. Big power, excellent interior, subtle exterior that looks good that doesnt attract unwanted attention from ricers and the police.

Love to have a black one with red interior
Old 03-06-2005, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Brandon_Lutz
If I had the cash, I'd go with the Goat.
See, that's the whole point. It's not if you had the cash......it's if you had to cough up the cash.

If I had the cash...I'd own a Ferrari.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:30 AM

Despite the fact that I thinkt he mustang is the most ugly vehicle in many years to grace our roads, i voted for it anyways. And not necessarily beucause I would buy it - but the car represents the better deal in my opinion. I like hte GTO better and would prefer to buy it - but when you forget about styling the mustang is a far better bargain than the GTO in my opinion.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:48 AM

After spending some time behind the wheel of the GTO , I just fell in love with it . I love the new back bumper with the black valance , HATE the ram air hood , the interior is perfect . I couldnt look at 05 Cyclone gray GTO and posssibly choose a GT .

GTO hands down for daily driving duties for my situation right now , imo , the PERFECT daily driver . Maybe it would be different if I didnt have my Trans Am and only had one car . Then maybe it would be the GT . Primairly because it would be an easier and cheaper car to make faster and use as a dualing street car/race car . In that scenario stanger would get the edge .

2 completely different cars , I dont know why they keep getting compared from a cost and performance standpoint .
Old 03-06-2005, 10:56 AM

I agree with the previous poster. How about "For the money, which would you buy? GTO for $34,000 or Mercedes SL500 for $90,000?"
Point is, 05 Mustang GT will run with SL500; does that make the Mustang equal to the SL?
Old 03-06-2005, 11:03 AM

I hate to say it, but I'd rather have the Mustang GT with its drop dead goregeous looks. To me it looks like what a ponycar should.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:10 AM

i would save and get the gto
it would need to be an 05 though- good styling changes imo
the mustang wouldn't be so bad if the rear end wasn't fugly and it wasn't as big as it is now
Old 03-06-2005, 11:48 AM

The question is ... Is the GTO worth the extra 8k-10k over the Mustang ?
Old 03-06-2005, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by 90 Z28SS

2 completely different cars , I dont know why they keep getting compared from a cost and performance standpoint .

Because they are both 2+2, v8, rwd coupes...with similar performance.

Quick Reply: For the money, which would you buy? GT for 25K or GTO for 34K?