Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

a little legal 'strong-arming' from GM???

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 01:53 PM

Re: a little legal 'strong-arming' from GM???

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
If GM isn't mad at us per se I don't think they'd be telling people like Red Planet that he can't visit/post on these sites anymore. Seems like all RP has been doing lately is keeping the fire lit and hope alive anyway....that's a really good thing for GM.
Who said GM asked Scott to leave this site or any other. I'd be inclined to believe it's his choice for reasons he would share if he felt like it.

I think I know the man from Mars pretty well, particularly when it comes to integrity, ethics, as well as enthusiasm... and maybe other folks don't.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by uluz28
Z06 pics leaked...posted on many websites.

GM is upset and is now apparently going after site owners--owners crying foul.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:00 PM

This sucks. Red is gone and GM will probably have even tighter doors than before.

Now I really don’t mean this as a low blow but as my true opinion.
I am a huge Camaro fan, I love 4th gens and will own another one in the near future, but the more I frequent this forum the more I feel like the wind is taken out of my sails about getting excited for the future of GM products. It's a roller coaster here. We get great news one day only to have things totally blown apart the next. I really don’t know what to believe here anymore. I assume there are some cool things coming down the pipeline but I just have a bad taste in my mouth now when I think of GM. I really just don’t like how I see they treat their own enthusiast. If I could get into Ford products the grass looks a lot greener over there with the relationship they have with their enthusiast.

Please don’t look at this post as a post to try and change anything or just a rant. It’s my honest opinion right now. I guess I’m a bit exhaust from waiting if ya know what I mean.

I'm ganna miss Red, he is one of the reasons I’m the huge Camaro fan I am today.

This Corvette picture scandal is not going to be good for the enthusiast relationship with GM. What actually happened and how everyone perceives it may be very different. This will not help GM.

Last edited by stars1010; 11-15-2004 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:03 PM

wait, red said that its very competitive. but i thought the whole point of the z06 was to make very little profit to give true enthusiast a really good bang for the buck car?
Old 11-15-2004, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by stars1010
This sucks. Red is gone and GM will probably have even tighter doors than before.

Now I really don’t mean this as a low blow but as my true opinion.
I am a huge Camaro fan, I love 4th gens and will own another one in the near future, but the more I frequent this forum the more I feel like the wind is taken out of my sails about getting excited for the future of GM products. It's a roller coaster here. We get great news one day only to have things totally blown apart the next. I really don’t know what to believe here anymore. I assume there are some cool thinks coming down the pipeline but I just have a bad taste in my mouth now when I think of GM. I really just don’t like how I see they treat their own enthusiast. If I could get into Ford products the grass looks a lot greener over there with the relationship they have with their enthusiast.

Please don’t look at this post as a post to try and change anything or just a rant. It’s my honest opinion right now. I guess I’m a bit exhaust from waiting if ya know what I mean.

I'm ganna miss Red, he is one of the reasons I’m the huge Camaro fan I am today.

This Corvette picture scandal is not going to be good for the enthusiast relationship with GM. What actually happened and how everyone perceives it may be very different. This will not help GM.

It's very hard to argue with anything you are saying here.

I have to admit, there are times when I feel the same way.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JasonD
Let's not jump to conclusions.

No one said that Red couldn't post here any more. He made that choice himself. If I worked my entire life to be where he is, I wouldn't either.
Red Planet's given us a fair amount of candor, some of which isn't exactly the "party line." Personally, I think that Red Planet is the farthest thing from a propagandist or a pusher. Unlike some posters, Scott Settlemire is not making a sales pitch for "all thing GM."

Red Planet isn't a corporate puppet or a mouthpiece, and I'm sure that we'll hear from him again.

It looks like GM is going more after those who are willfully and intentionally allowing the spread of information that was not intended to be released. Just because it fell into the wrong hands does not mean that it is okay to be exploited. There are some very serious reasons why GM didn't want it released before a certain date. If you know anything at all about marketing and advertising, I shouldn't have to explain.
1. I don't see how any pictures of the upcoming Z06 could be damaging to prospects of the car? There are no surprises here.

2. As long as the pictures are put to non-commercial use, where the financial loss? It's not as if some unscrupulous vendors are going to put these images on T-shirts and sell them a hip-hop concerts.

3. BMW leaked an entire 3-series brochure a year in advance - all the info on their most important upcoming model - and there was no attempt to put the Genie-back-in-the-bottle? What does GM have to be paranoid about? Where's the big deal?

It was mentioned somewhere that VWVortex.com and VW have teamed up to help each other. In this world, you really need to be able to work closely with a certain degree of trust in order to do that. After this debacle, do you think GM will be willing to work with ANY site? It is doubtful, IMO.
Is the point of a site like CamaroZ28.com just to trumpet manufacturer released information - on a timetable of the manufacturer's choosing? Are we all members of a "pep squad?" Is CamaroZ28.com just a marketing device of General Motors? I'd hope that the answer is no on all counts.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:55 PM

redzed. it actually works in GMs favor. when someone talks about future info on a car everyone gets riled up and feeds off of eachothers excitement. but if something like the aztek comes out it has the opposite effect.
my mom works for toyota and she told me about the scion brand before it came out and showed me the pics of the cars. (it was official, the same stuff that was given to customers at dealers is what she had). she said in california they did surveys to find out what people wanted in the scion brand. i said it wouldn't work. but it did. why? because they talked to their customers.
so i know toyota talks to the customers, VW does, but not GM? take a hint from the fastest growing company, listen to what people want.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Doug Harden
Jason,

I think you're missing the point...it's NOT the enthusiast that GM is after here...it's the "insider" who violated their rules and has compromised their ability to control product information.

GM has all the ability to let us know what they want to let us know when they want us to know it. But somene has stolen their (copy)right to do that.

GM ain't mad at us..it's the thief they're after....
As Z28Wilson posted, that's the problem here. A guy who posted "Is this real?" on the 'vette forum got a threatening visit from GM. This isn't GM finding whoever leaked the image and fixing the problem there, it's threatening the people who just so happened to find the image and asked their friends if it was legit.

Honestly, this is a huge overreaction on GM's part and is alienating me from the company a lot. Instead of Red, who usually acts as our friend in the company who would love to help but can't, reassuring us and explaining what's up, he's joining the attitude of being mad at the community for checking out the pictures, instead of being mad at whoever released them to us.

To use an analogy for the family folks here, say you go Christmas shopping for your kids, and you leave the presents lying in the middle of the living room floor. Your kids come home and are excited and happy about their presents.

Do you get mad at your kids for seeing it, or do you get mad at the person who left them out? If your dad was GM, you'd have gotten a whippin'.

Honestly, this is really hurting GM with the hardcore fanbase. Especially over on the 'vette forums, I bet they're even more upset than us. These are the people GM expects to buy this car, and they're threatening legal action for linking a picture to it? Sue your customers? Sounds like GM is learning marketing from the RIAA

Last edited by MunchE; 11-15-2004 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:02 PM

I get so sick and tired of the selfish people who use the internet to steal.....and then blame the victim.....

[/rant off]

Be careful what you ask for...you might just get it......
This might be of some interest as RC45 appears to be the fellow saying he had a visit form a security company from GM... is this his post that perhaps started this thing? I don't really know... You can read his comments through the thread..

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showt...8&page=1&pp=15

Depending on how you read it, one might read and come to an opinion he was not concerned with GM's position on the pic.

Last edited by 1fastdog; 11-15-2004 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:05 PM
2010 Camaro Moderator/Disciple

All good points, but someone has ruined it for us all.

GM trusted somone and got bitten because of it....I'd say the lid's going to be screwed down much further and we'll all be less informed because of it.

I know that some have already lost their jobs over things like this and anyone with more than two brain cells and like's their job at GM, will probably never involve themselves in these discussions again....sad really.
So true Doug. So true.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:11 PM

BS... Do you have to goose step to work at GM...

Its Public Domain the moment it was posted on the internet. The only person who commit a crime was the orignal theft of the pictue.... Is it Illegal to film a crime in progress.... thats what hosting a pic onlin e is.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:16 PM

Post Re: a little legal 'strong-arming' from GM???

Originally Posted by 1fastdog
This might be of some interest as RC45 appears to be the fellow saying he had a visit form a security company from GM... is this his post that perhaps started this thing? I don't really know... You can read his comments through the thread..

Depending on how you read it, one might read and come to an opinion he was not concerned with GM's position on the pic.
exactly...based on his posts in that thread, he didn't seem overly remorseful about posting propriatary info (i daresay he even seemed giddy and proud to do it)...
so **** on him...he knew what he was doing and got caught...I just hate it when people play the victim role after getting the hammer dropped on them.
GM investigators read that thread, and there's no wonder there's an angry knock at the door a couple days later

Last edited by Magnum Force; 11-15-2004 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by number77
redzed. it actually works in GMs favor. when someone talks about future info on a car everyone gets riled up and feeds off of eachothers excitement. but if something like the aztek comes out it has the opposite effect.
my mom works for toyota and she told me about the scion brand before it came out and showed me the pics of the cars. (it was official, the same stuff that was given to customers at dealers is what she had). she said in california they did surveys to find out what people wanted in the scion brand. i said it wouldn't work. but it did. why? because they talked to their customers.
so i know toyota talks to the customers, VW does, but not GM? take a hint from the fastest growing company, listen to what people want.
Considering that both Scion offering before the tC were just Japanese market 2-box "people carriers," Toyota didn't have to do much in response to all those surveys. The xB was little more that a Japanese homemarket bB (which stands for "Big Box" with upgraded bumpers for North America. I guess all those survey respondents had always wanted rebodied Echos that had previously been sold exclusively in Japan?

The VW reference is also "rich," considering that they currently are losing a grand or two on every unit sold in North America. Blame the strong Euro. Blame a product cycle that's just about to change over. Blame VW for overstocking Jettas and Passats - all in an attempt to force very European, slightly quirky products into the mainstream.

The issue here isn't GM's inability to "listen." The problem is that they don't want us to see what they've got in store. Perhaps they're gearing up to prevent the negative buzz from "something like the Aztek."
Old 11-15-2004, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by 1fastdog

that is the post that GM saw. but its not the whole story
Old 11-15-2004, 03:43 PM
Prominent Member

Exclamation Re: a little legal 'strong-arming' from GM???

A few quotes by the MORON, Paul aka RC45 who screwed it up for ALL of us..

It's a good thing then that I wouldn't treat GM data with any confidentiality at all..
GM.. Trust me.. hehehe
I have no idea if this is true or a bunch of crap... I am just posting something I read else where.

...but then again - it may be gospel..
Well - I may be incented to take my "old news" in Quick Silver - thank you very much..

per gm, deleted
I wonder.. Ask GM.. hehehe
It would seem that way... and remember - you read it here first..

A Z06Vette scoop.. (well - the collective undergound Z06Vette insiders knew all along - but they have reputations to protect and remained mum about it all - I just said -" Ah... f**kit".. )
Originally Posted by FRC Tom
That's not a photo chop.

Good score Paul.

Thank you sir... I am but a lowly Z06 fanatic that still loves this car with an irrational passion...
Originally Posted by JMarsa
I read a post on another board. The poster wrote:

"Got this from digitalcorvettes.com (and i borrowed it from GMI) "

I went over to digitalcorvette and there is this thread: (requires registration)

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/for...&threadid=25433

--JMarsa

Nah - that thread is one started from this one..

Which board did you see it on? I am guessing GM now wants to know who the upstream leak is..

...and I'm not telling...
Originally Posted by N4C5S
Pics removed, property of GM........

JC

There ya have it folks..

Thank me later...
You know, GM could have prevented all this - maybe next time they will take me seriously when I say "Please just fix my clutch - or else...."...
Why is it still up?

Because some folks believe in Freedom of Information...

I will say it again - The Corvette is NOT GM's car, it is OUR car - GM just has the priviledge of building it for us.
Originally Posted by FRC Tom
If it were not for Dave Hill there would be no Z06 Fest.
Dave didn't tell Zippy and me to stick it when we were lobbing for the Fest so when GM ask us to take down their property we are obliged to not tell them to stick it.

Still a good score Paul.

Tom - y'alls position and decision is 100% respected and supported...

But some of us are estranged fringe lunatics and not bound by such noble conventions...
I personally want GM to fry this @$$hole....selfish bastard.....

Last edited by Doug Harden; 11-15-2004 at 03:51 PM.

Quick Reply: a little legal 'strong-arming' from GM???