CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/)
-   -   a little legal 'strong-arming' from GM??? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/little-legal-strong-arming-gm-317747/)

Magnum Force 11-14-2004 09:16 PM

a little legal 'strong-arming' from GM???

This was posted by a CF member in Houston, and I thought it was interesting, even though I don't believe a SINGLE word of his story...Not that I think GM is above doing something like this, but if they really went through these lengths, they would at least probably nab the right person...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...1&page=1&pp=20

...GM had two goons - Mr Duran and Mr Chiros arrive on my doorstep this evening.

They carried with them a folder of evidence.

Seems they think I stole their property by posting the copy of a link on a forum with a question "Is this old C6 news".

The gentlemen were not satisfied with my answer that "I simply posted a link I found".

And left me with this comment".

General Motors will not let this lie - and we will spend millions of dollars to prove a point.

Nice guys we are dealing with hey...

So I guess I am off to secure a lawyer tomorrow.

(hey - If I need millions of dollors to defend myself - since I didn't steal any images - how about a $5 donation from everyone towards my lega fund.. )

Magnum Force 11-14-2004 09:26 PM

Re: a little legal 'strong-arming' from GM???

did a little bit of googling...didn't see anything for Duran, but Chiros at least seems to be real...Evidently he's on the board of the Swartz Creek Community
Schools Board of Education...small bio found here:

http://www.swartzcreek.org/Docs/scho..._august_04.pdf

Nick Chiros has been an investigator for General Motors since retiring from serving as a Sergeant with the Genesee County Sheriff Department.
Throughout his nineteen years as a Swartz Creek resident, Mr. Chiros has always been involved with the kids as a coach for basketball, soccer and
softball. After serving as president of the Athletic Boosters, Mr. Chiros thought it was time to involve himself with academics, the number one priority for kids. He has much admiration for Swartz Creek’s staff and desires to work together with them to give Swartz Creek kids the best possible
learning advantage, Mr. Chiros said that as a board member, he would
like to see the district’s strategic plan move forward as rapidly as possible. He would also like to see a plan in place for replacing the high school and
looking to our needs down the road as Swartz Creek grows.
Mr. Chiros is married and has two children. When time permits, he enjoys watching the Pistons, the Red Wings and the Lions. He also enjoys golf
and family camping trips.

number77 11-14-2004 10:01 PM

dude, i talked to taht guy that is crazy

Magnum Force 11-14-2004 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by number77
dude, i talked to taht guy that is crazy

so it really did happen? he's telling the truth?

krazzycowgirl 11-14-2004 10:47 PM

Thats why when some people are screaming they want information on the G5 Camaro, RP gets upset because he cant. Or he will lose his job.

you guys dont know the risks hes taking even being on line.

number77 11-14-2004 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Magnum Force
so it really did happen? he's telling the truth?

if he was fooling people, he did it very elobarely (sp?)
i have seen a video in the past of him and his car, and asked him about it. he definitely doesn't come off as the h4x0r type, just a common good guy. i really don't see what GM's point is in pursuing him. they obviously don't spend enough time watching our forums and underestimate their consumer base as a company (not the guys actually building the cars). seriously, if they really pushed this, the online automotive community is tight enough to just boycotte vettes/GM products. why they are after their enthusiasts, i have no idea. seriously, how does this pic hurt them. is someone gonna see a pic and be like, "i'm not buying that car." they would say the same thing at the dealers lot, or when the pic actually came out in a publication. :confused:

number77 11-14-2004 11:56 PM

also, if any of you guys can assist GM in their investigation here is the contact info of the guys that showed up at his door.
http://img104.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img1...=biz_cards.jpg

Fbodfather 11-14-2004 11:56 PM

this is a very competitive business. If GM wanted pictures out there, they would have put 'em out there. Quite frankly, it concerns me greatly as to how much information...and DIS-information is out there.....

I guess my advice to anyone posting links is this: How would you feel if someone posted your credit card number? Would you NOT be infuriated if someone else posted that link on their site? Look....don't use righteous indignation when you're caught. You KNOW the pics were not meant to be out in the public domain.....

That's it...I'm done. It's been great.

krazzycowgirl 11-15-2004 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Red Planet

Yea better not be leaving me behind Scott, lol

stars1010 11-15-2004 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Red Planet

ummmmmmmm like your leaving this site for good?????? :eek: :shock: :confused: :( :no: :shame: :barf:

MunchE 11-15-2004 02:20 AM

GM fans are so desperate for info while GM starves them. Some info gets out, and now GM is "furious"?

God forbid a bunch of GM fans get excited about a GM car. Like having a couple of hundred guys on the internet see that there are hood scoops on the Z06 is going to take the steam out of the Detroit show.

Even more I see this as GM being hostile towards the community that wants to buy it's products. I remember there were all sorts of pre-release renders of the new 'stang posted at various Mustang sites a few months before the concept came out, but you didn't see Ford threatening innocent car fans for reposting them.

More and more I see GM ignoring and stepping on the enthusiasts that got them where they are, and here we have red, the "good guy" who's being held back by the company, saying people deserve legal threats for reposting pics of the Z06? Why did GM send the renders out at all? Who'd they send them to? Who leaked them out in the first place, who actually had an agreement with GM? That's the person who should be getting in trouble.

The sad thing is, most people were figuring this was just a photoshop job until GM went all lawsuit on everyone.

Big Als Z 11-15-2004 03:28 AM

How about instead of spending millions of dollars is law suits, invest that cash into putting a watermark on all GM pictures, or how about developing a more secure website to keep information away from other companies and prying eyes.
Dont take it out on enthusiasts who praise your work and would wait YEARS for just a single car that you have not spoken a word one on.
Fix the internal problem.

Z28Wilson 11-15-2004 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by MunchE
Why did GM send the renders out at all? Who'd they send them to? Who leaked them out in the first place, who actually had an agreement with GM? That's the person who should be getting in trouble.

Here here. Going after the excited shlub who just saw the pics somewhere else and inquired about them is NOT the way to get a handle on this problem. GM needs to find the source of their leaks and go after them. Shut down the original problem and no one else sees the things they aren't supposed to see. Isn't that common sense?

And you're right, the picture never intruiged me until GM went ape about it. I truly thought it was just a photoshop job. And I don't see how the public knowing the Z06 will have a hood scoop 2 months before it debuts puts GM at a competitive disadvantage but I guess that isn't the point.....

MasterEvilAce 11-15-2004 06:32 AM

Weren't these the pictures of the Z06 in the car cover type thing? Or were these other pictures?

Last but not least: Is anyone here man enough to post the pics?

Doug Harden 11-15-2004 07:34 AM

I side with GM on this one.....

[rant on] What we're talking about is similar to the fight over illegal downloading of songs and software.

First and foremost:...those pictures ARE GM's property.

Second: They were given to people with the implicit directive that they were under embargo until a certian date.

Third: Whomever broke that embargo broke the law.

Fourth: Just because you "found" something on the internet does not give you the right to distribute it at will. ESPECIALLY when GM themselves tells you to cease and disist.

Fifth: Arguing the minutia of "GM should have done this or that to protect the pictures better"....ignores the FACT the GM is the owner and has EXCLUSIVE rights as to how and where these pictures are distributed.

Sixth: It DOES cost GM a TON of money. Look at the problems GM is having moving the last of the C5's...and now the '04 GTO's. Millions in incentives and lost sales. Now, I'm not saying these two examples are a result of this kind of theft, but to say that something that would cause a loss of current model sales doesn't cost money is shortsighted at best. The new Z06 WILL affect sales of current models.

Seventh: Not only that, but it gives the competition time to offset any market or performance advantage GM was trying to build.

Eighth: This is industrial espionage pure and simple. Theft of insider secrets and information about future models is illegal.

Ninth: It is widely known that FORD themselves leaked the Mustang photos...that why they didn't "go after" anyone...

Finally: Why the HELL are people blaming the VICTIM here?!?! GM's trust and property were VIOLATED and all I hear are people blaming GM for their reaction and telling them that they were to blame. WTF?!? If you want to do business with GM...as a news reporting agency...then KEEP YOUR WORD and don't steal!

I get so sick and tired of the selfish people who use the internet to steal.....and then blame the victim.....

[/rant off]

Be careful what you ask for...you might just get it......