CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/)
-   -   Introducing, your 6th gen Camaro lineup* (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/introducing-your-6th-gen-camaro-lineup%2A-753640/)

zq8colorado04 05-20-2010 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me (Post 6367932)
That were the 305 TPI auto 3rd gen cars embarrassing?

Back then probably not, now-a-days you betcha'.

My dad had a 305 in his 84 el Camino (I don't know if it was the same or not considering the el Camino was built before I was born) but that thing was not anywhere near what I would consider even "quick"...

91_z28_4me 05-20-2010 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by zq8colorado04 (Post 6367960)
Back then probably not, now-a-days you betcha'.

My dad had a 305 in his 84 el Camino (I don't know if it was the same or not considering the el Camino was built before I was born) but that thing was not anywhere near what I would consider even "quick"...

84 would have been a TBI 305, the TPI cars were much different animals.

Z284ever 05-20-2010 11:57 AM

Just some random thoughts....

1) You guys had better get used to the idea of a 4 cylinder Camaro. It's coming. Now, whether that's a normally aspirated I4 or a turbo I4, I have no idea. That decision is way down the road.

2) Why does every Camaro need to meet some arbitrary 0-60 target to satisfy people who wouldn't be buying that version anyway? Some people like a sporty, good looking, economical car to drive. This has literally been Camaro and Mustang's bread and butter forever.

3) Let's look at how GM will be marketing the Regal. Three 4 cylinders, no V6. I think that's a trend you'll see more of.

zq8colorado04 05-20-2010 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever (Post 6367994)
Just some random thoughts....

2) Why does every Camaro need to meet some arbitrary 0-60 target to satisfy people who wouldn't be buying that version anyway? Some people like a sporty, good looking, economical car to drive. This has literally been Camaro and Mustang's bread and butter forever.

Because every car magazine in the world is going to harp on how it's so slow it can't get out of it's own way...and when people read reviews (even people who really don't care less about 0-60 times) they form opinions and those opinions influence their purchasing decisions.

A 4-cylinder with ~270hp fine, I can live with that I don't necessarilly like the idea of a 4-cylinder Camaro but as long as it has the power/mpg then great.

A 4-cylinder with ~200hp...not so much...

Z284ever 05-20-2010 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by zq8colorado04 (Post 6368006)
Because every car magazine in the world is going to harp on how it's so slow it can't get out of it's own way...and when people read reviews (even people who really don't care less about 0-60 times) they form opinions and those opinions influence their purchasing decisions.

A 4-cylinder with ~270hp fine, I can live with that I don't necessarilly like the idea of a 4-cylinder Camaro but as long as it has the power/mpg then great.

A 4-cylinder with ~200hp...not so much...

I don't think it would be an issue.

There will be other Camaros to test for great performance numbers and to plaster on magazine covers. The number a mag would be looking for on a 210 hp 4 banger is it's MPG. They'd also probably notice that it's fun to drive, spirited, very tossable and a good value. The press didn't crucify the Solstice for having a base 4 cylinder, they won't for the Camaro either. Nor the Mustang.

If you want cars like the Camaro and Mustang to retain optional V8's in the future, this is how you'll have to do it.

zq8colorado04 05-20-2010 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever (Post 6368017)

I don't think it would be an issue.

There will be other Camaro's to test for great performance numbers and to plaster on magazine covers. The number a mag would be looking for on a 210 hp 4 banger is it's MPG. They'd also probably notice that it's fun to drive, spirited, very tossable and a good value. The press didn't crucify the Solstice for having a base 4 cylinder, they won't for the Camaro either. Nor the Mustang.

If you want cars like the Camaro and Mustang to retain optional V8's in the future, this is how you'll have to do it.

That's like saying "they won't test the V6, just the V8 because if they wanted performance they'd buy the V8"

Given a quick google search I'm sure you'd see plenty of V6 Camaro vs. V6 Mustang vs V6 Challengers V6 Genesis Coupes...etc

They didn't tear up the Solstice (well not completely at least) b/c of the 4-cylinder because it's a completely different type of car.

Z284ever 05-20-2010 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by zq8colorado04 (Post 6368018)
That's like saying "they won't test the V6, just the V8 because if they wanted performance they'd buy the V8"

Given a quick google search I'm sure you'd see plenty of V6 Camaro vs. V6 Mustang vs V6 Challengers V6 Genesis Coupes...etc

They didn't tear up the Solstice (well not completely at least) b/c of the 4-cylinder because it's a completely different type of car.

I hear what you saying, but I don't think anyone is NOT going to buy a low 12 second Camaro, which also pulls 1g on the skidpad and carves up a road course, just because Chevy also offers a 36 mpg version of it.

It'll be the new reality in a 2015 world.

zq8colorado04 05-20-2010 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever (Post 6368044)
I hear what you saying, but I don't think anyone is NOT going to buy a low 12 second Camaro, which also pulls 1g on the skidpad and carves up a road course, just because Chevy also offers a 36 mpg version of it.

It'll be the new reality in a 2015 world.

I just wish there was a way to maintain the level of acceleration we have now....and get 36mpg.

Yeah, I know, I ask a lot...but I don't mind a little down-sizing :lol:

97QuasarBlue3.8 05-20-2010 12:57 PM

This is why a N/A 6 works so well in these pony cars. You absolutely cannot replace displacement. IMHO larger motors just feel better, even if they don't make a ton of power. There's nothing I hate more than the meek, buzzy feel of a 4-cylinder even if it has 260hp. Call me "old-school."

After driving a 415hp 6.2L V8 in a Corvette the other day, I feel that we're broaching the limit of how much power is usable and fun for everyday enthusiast car driving. I still think a 400hp+ option in the SS model is a good idea. The power-hungry will feel mildly sated and can still tune...

I'm in the middle somewhere and almost want for an esoteric option, say, in a Z28 model, for a supercharged 3.6. Somewhere in the 350hp range.

Leave the buzzy 4's, powerful as they are, for cars like the Cruze. Let the Camaro continue its tradition with a modern twist. Keep the NA 3.6 as the base, give us an option for a forced 3.6 in a mid-level Z28, and then let the rest of the people gorge in the top-dog SS model with a ground-pounding V8.

Z28x 05-20-2010 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by 97QuasarBlue3.8 (Post 6368056)
Leave the buzzy 4's, powerful as they are, for cars like the Cruze. Let the Camaro continue its tradition with a modern twist. Keep the NA 3.6 as the base, give us an option for a forced 3.6 in a mid-level Z28, and then let the rest of the people gorge in the top-dog SS model with a ground-pounding V8.

So when I need a daily driver that can get 35mpg+ do I go with the 2015 I4 Malibu/Cruze or the 2.5L 2015 Mustang. I'll take the Mustang.

I'd rather have a 4cyl. Camaro than any other 4cyl. for my daily commute. Why give up sporty looks and RWD just because you want over 30mpg?

mdenz3 05-20-2010 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by zq8colorado04 (Post 6368018)

The Solstice did get grief for being under powered until the GXP came out.

If you want an I4 Camaro it better be sub 3000lbs.

Personally for a 6th gen I'd say keep the same power levels (312 & 426) and just lose weight. Don't bother building it to hold a 550hp monster.

99SilverSS 05-20-2010 01:14 PM

Depending on the weight and dimentions of the 6th Gen I could see GM going 4 cyl and V8 only. If the 6th Gen can get back to the 4th Gens weight 3350 - 3650lbs then a 220-250 hp 4 cyl can work just like it did in the 4th Gens. They could offer up a turbo version in the 275 - 300hp range. That should satisfy what the V6 market is now. Why even take time and development money for a V6 variant if the 4 cyl's can offer better fuel economy and due to a lower curb weight similar performance to the 5th Gen V6. What Ford does with the Mustang will probably drive GM's thinking on having 3 engines. I'd vote V6 and V8 but I have a feeling things will be different in about 5 years.
Oddly enough the Gen V V8 is probably the most certain bet of all.

Z28x 05-20-2010 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by mdenz3 (Post 6368069)
If you want an I4 Camaro it better be sub 3000lbs.

5th gen is the first Camaro in 43 years that doesn't have an engine option that is 200hp or lower and that has never stopped them from selling. I think if they can get 200hp and 34mpg out of the 4cyl and have it in a car weighing ~3300lbs. It should be just fine.

guionM 05-20-2010 01:34 PM

Just a few points to expand on what's been said since yesterday.

First, between the MPG and the performance positions, both are correct.

That said, 210 horsepower isn't going to sell very many Camaros. People actually do buy cars like Camaro and Mustang because they want a car that not only looks great, but feels quick. On the same note, many don't want a car that's "scary fast". The new V6 Mustang and Camaro reflect the fact that cars are even quicker today in 2010 than they were just 5 years ago, let alone 15 or 20. I don't think there's too many people out there who's buy something like a Mustang or Camaro, and and have it handed it's lunch by the neighbor's 4 cylinder Civic. In a 3400 pound car, you're going to need the turbo Ecotec.

Secondly. although we here are V8 enthuisasts, we're actually a very small club.

Number of reasons for that. Smaller cars don't need V8s. V6s today outpower V8s of less than a decade ago. Fuel economy. But also consider that today's youth aren't into V8s the way they were in the 70s, 80s, or even the 90s. Today they're turned on by quad cams, turbos, and high revving performance. Mustang GT gets a pass with some because it's a cammer. But even those behind the Mustang recognize that there's a disconnect between V8s and younger buyers (meaning those aged 20-something, not some mythical highschooler new car buyer).

Ford is going to start a program of education to get the word out that their V8 Mustangs are more fuel efficient than the competition's (ie: Imports) V6 engines, but the trend is still moving away from V8s in all but the top performance and luxury rides in the general public.

Finally, these cars are all about all round performance that matches their reputation.

People know what a Mustang is. They know what a Camaro is. They know what a Challenger is. Most are buying into those images. Some are curious as to what all the fuss is about, and wind up driving out with one if they like what they see, it's a great value, and it competes well with everything else they might have considered buying.

But image trumps reality.

Fact is, Camaro is barely any bigger than Mustang. The belt line throws it off (The Dodge Charger looks huge although the Impala is actually bigger due to the high beltline and small windows).

Also.... Camaro V6 has 304 horsepower it also gets very good fuel economy, despite it's size and weight 17/29 mpg (18/29 automatic). But good luck convincing anyone it's fuel economy is very good next to a Honda Accord coupe V6 (17/25, 19/28 automatic) or a Toyota Camry V6 (19/28).

You'll need even more luckselling the mileage of the 426 horse automatic Camaro SS's 16/24 mpg (16/25 automatic) against a V6 Acura RL (16/22), a 6 cylinder BMW 325i (17/26) let alone an M3 (14/20), the tiny and light RX8 (16/23) or Mitsubishi Eclipse V6 (16/25).

The Mitsu Evo? 16/22 mpg.

Z284ever 05-20-2010 03:00 PM

Okay, you guys like this line up better?

1) The Budget GT
Camaro Sport Coupe:
-Standard engine: turbo 2.0L Ecotec. 255 hp.
-Optional engine: none
-F41 performance package available.
Weight: 3350 -3400 pounds (coupe)

2) The Luxury GT
Camaro SS:
-Standard engine: turbo 2.0L Ecotec. 315 hp.
-Optional engine: Gen V 6.2L V8. 415 hp.
-Various high content options available.
Weight: 3450-3575 pounds. (coupe)

3) The Performance GT
Camaro Z/28
-Specific engine: Gen V 6.2L V8. 465 hp.
-Optional engine: None.
-Specific "Special Performance Package"
-Content and options limited.
Weight: 3395 pounds. (coupe only)