Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

I officially decided that I am against the Bailout...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
Is GM's plight any different to that of Harley Davidson's? I know the scale of the problem is different but how did HD survive and strengthen its ties to its core customer base?
Harley survived by telling all the rich lawyers and dentists that they could be anti-social badasses just so long as they plunked down a $25,000 wad of cash. The company cashed in on its "heritage", and we'll see if that's a sustainable strategy.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Eric Bryant
Harley survived by telling all the rich lawyers and dentists that they could be anti-social badasses just so long as they plunked down a $25,000 wad of cash. The company cashed in on its "heritage", and we'll see if that's a sustainable strategy.
When'd you meet my brother?
Old 12-12-2008, 05:23 AM

GM Hires Advisors to Weigh a Bankruptcy Filing

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1229...googlenews_wsj
Old 12-12-2008, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
GM Hires Advisors to Weigh a Bankruptcy Filing
That planning should have begun back in 2005, because it's been obvious for at least three years that things were not going to end well. If one wants to be slightly more generous, then we can look back towards July 2008 as GM's last effort at staring into the abyss without blinking.

It should be interesting to see if there's a run on GM next week, since my feeling is that a lot of suppliers will no longer consider GM to be creditworthy and will demand COD payment terms. That'll be the start of this final chapter.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by HuJass
I don't think how much the UAW was willing or not willing to give was included in any press release yet.

So to say "they won't give a little" is a bit premature.

I'll say this. Listening to the southern repubs talking, I'd wager that they wanted to give the UAW a HUGE haircut while the rest of the stakeholders got off virtually scott free.
That's all they talked about, cutting the UAW.
Yeah, I'm thinking that the UAW is playing the odds that GM/Chrysler can somehow "hang on by a thread" until the presidential/congress change. At that point, they (the democratically controlled White House/Congress) probably won't ask for those concessions. That's one hell of a gamble to take IMO.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:20 AM

UAW made a stupid bet if that was there thinking

Last edited by JakeRobb; 12-12-2008 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Removed political content
Old 12-12-2008, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by HuJass
I don't think how much the UAW was willing or not willing to give was included in any press release yet.

So to say "they won't give a little" is a bit premature.

I'll say this. Listening to the southern repubs talking, I'd wager that they wanted to give the UAW a HUGE haircut while the rest of the stakeholders got off virtually scott free.
That's all they talked about, cutting the UAW.
They want to permanently prevent the UAW from organizing the import auto plants in their state.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
They want to permanently prevent the UAW from organizing the import auto plants in their state.
I believe you are right.
That's a part of their motivation.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:12 PM

I think Bankruptcy may not be bad provided they can find a way out and some foreign company does not buy them. I mean the fact of the matter is..much like Social Security, GM needs to be right sized..and 30 billion will not do it.