Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

I keep hearing that American doesn't need 3 car companies, but...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
The results of that poll show that 40% of the public don't feel US automakers make what they want, which means that 60% DO!

If you had taken that poll back some years ago, no doubt those numbers would have been at the very least, reversed.

I have no problems with those numbers, and I can easily see them. US makers have come a long way in the past 4 years. Those numbers will improve within the next 2. Ford is going to be a much different company by then.... and GM is going to be better.
That poll shows that 40% of people don't believe US automakers are even capable of making a car they'd want. Which means 40% of the public won't even CONSIDER a car from the Big 3... while the other 60% think that they're able to do make something they'd want. It surely didn't suggest that 60% already know of a car US automakers make that they'd be interested in, just that they think the companies are capable of making one.

The poll very specifically asked if they were capable. It didn't say "do US automakers currently make a car you'd want".
Old 12-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SCNGENNFTHGEN
Americans have been convinced to hate this country, it's people, and it's products, pure and simple!
Pure, homogenized Bovine Scatology.

People that don’t go out and NOT buy something from GM or Ford or Chrysler because they hate America; they buy what’s best for them and their needs and wants.

The real danger for the U.S. and its future is if the measurement of “patriotism” is to be determined based on whether someone buys or not buys something offered by the Detroit Three - God help us us such a shallow, inconsequential measuring stick for patriotism is to be the norm.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:45 PM

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Robert_Nashville
Pure, homogenized Bovine Scatology.

People that don’t go out and NOT buy something from GM or Ford or Chrysler because they hate America; they buy what’s best for them and their needs and wants.

The real danger for the U.S. and its future is if the measurement of “patriotism” is to be determined based on whether someone buys or not buys something offered by the Detroit Three - God help us us such a shallow, inconsequential measuring stick for patriotism is to be the norm.
Yeah God help US!! IF we ever have to fight any kind of serious war without an American auto industry!! Which is exactly what our enemies want.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Banned

Yeah God help US!! IF we ever have to fight any kind of serious war without an American auto industry!! Which is exactly what our enemies want.
Not surprising; you miss the point entirely.

Moving on, we are in a serious war now and likely will be for some time.

In any case, we have a vibrant and, even in the current economy, a healthy American auto industry; it just doesn't happen to have GM, Ford, or Chrysler in the names.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:01 PM

What we have (other than the Big3) is a compromised, subsidized, low-level, assembly biased auto industry which yields far less benefit without a promise of long-term presence. This lesser industry itself is dependent on the continued existence of the Big3 to not only secure its supply chain, but to provide the business case for its continued production here. All of which supports a diminished standard of living and promotes a has been, failure mentality.

Anything else is just a lie told by the likes of the hypocrite Shelby.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:04 PM

In any case, we have a vibrant and, even in the current economy, a healthy American auto industry; it just doesn't happen to have GM, Ford, or Chrysler in the names.
Robert, with all due respect, what are these American car companies which are healthy? No Ford, GM, and Chrysler...

Who are vibrant all American winners that are moving steel?

All of the transplant, not actually American, car makers are down in numbers
too... Without regard, transplants are not local business.

My pal who is with Ferrari tells me that their business has, for all purposes, died with the death of leasing. The lease market rules the exotic market.

Nissan has backtracked on their pullout from shows... but they are crying poormouth, Toyoda's Toyota is down, Honda is making downturned cashflow reasons behind their retreat from F1...

I'll grant there is good product to be had. But..."Vibrant" business?

I'm all ears...

My read is that the whole industry is down in double digits..

I'm heading to P.R.I. this week and expect to see worried faces at every turn. I expect to see some clever folks out of business.

Last edited by 1fastdog; 12-08-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:06 PM

Wink

No you miss the point! Sorry but from what I've seen, many people in this country don't take this war seriously at all!! And BTW an American auto industry without GM, Ford, or Chrysler....ISN"T an AMERICAN auto industry at all....it's a foreign auto industry in America!!
Old 12-08-2008, 01:12 PM

Better for who...based on what criteria?

Do the domestics have some great cars to offer? Sure they do.

Are they, on the whole, "better" than their foreign competition? Probably not.
EPA, I was talking about MPG
Old 12-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1fastdog
Robert, with all due respect, what are these American car companies which are healthy? No Ford, GM, and Chrysler...

Who are vibrant all American winners that are moving steel?

All of the transplant, not actually American, car makers are down in numbers
too...

My pal who is with Ferrari tells me that their business has, for all purposes, died with the death of leasing.

Nissan has backtracked on their pullout from shows... but they are crying poormouth, Toyoda's Toyota is down, Honda is making down cashflow reasons behind their retreat from F1...

I'll grant there is good product to be had. But..."Vibrant"?

I'm all ears...
I wasn't trying to say that no one else in hurting; everybody is hurting; especially in terms of prior projections and desired sales levels.

The differentiation will be in who is strong enough financially to weather the recession and/or what companies are innovative enough to generate enough sales to at least tread water and stay afloat.

Perhaps "vibran" is too strong a word but there are/will be nameplates who still make a profit this year (albeit small than they would like) - recessions do take their toll and do, generally prey on the week (businesses) which is the way it's supposed to work.

Last edited by Robert_Nashville; 12-08-2008 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:14 PM
Banned

...And BTW an American auto industry without GM, Ford, or Chrysler....ISN"T an AMERICAN auto industry at all....it's a foreign auto industry in America!!
Only to those who refuse to see reality and have a "flat earth" view of the world.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Z28x
EPA, I was talking about MPG
I see.

Even so, I'm not sure that MPG/EPA estimates are quite as important to most buyers as you seem to be suggesting.

I do agree that it's desirable for a nameplate to have a "green" car it can hold out as an example (since being "green" is all the rage today) but in terms of overall car buying, I think MPG is but one of many factors people take into consideration why buying a car.

It is true, of course, that foreign nameplates, in general, have done a better job in fighting the "green vehicle" war!
Old 12-08-2008, 01:22 PM

Only to those who refuse to see reality and have a "flat earth" view of the world.
You're kidding,right?

All the transplants are amounts to a minor local expense for foreign corporations, one that benefits them in the current climate but perhaps not in a climate without the Big3. That's a far cry from being an American industry.

If the climate shifts to an unfavorable one, they will simply cease production here and all cars sold in the US will be imported.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CaminoLS6
You're kidding,right?

All the transplants are amounts to a minor local expense for foreign corporations, one that benefits them in the current climate but perhaps not in a climate without the Big3. That's a far cry from being an American industry.

If the climate shifts to an unfavorable one, they will simply cease production here and all cars sold in the US will be imported.
And you base that opinion on what facts?

And no, I"m not kidding.

Minor expense? The major foreign nameplates already build in the U.S. a majority of the vehicles it sells in the U.S.

Assuming the Detroit Three survive, a likely scenario is that they will continue to shift more and more production outside of CONUS to the point that "foreign" nameplates will likely be selling more cars actually built in the U.S. than the "domestic" nameplates.

Last edited by Robert_Nashville; 12-08-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
Then why is it ok that Germany has 3, Japan has 7, and little Korea has 2.

3 Brands at Ford and Chrysler is bad but 33 import brands is Okay?
I think it's safe to say that some of those other companies will be going bye-bye within the next decade as well. Just because reality has not yet hit home doesn't mean that it won't happen. Just how well are Opel and Mercedes doing right now? Honda does great here in the US, but probably wouldn't have survived if it had to live off its Japanese-market domestic sales. Companies like SEAT and Skoda exist (for the moment) because of VW's magical way to proliferate badges onto a handful of platforms. And so on...

The auto industry isn't so special as to afford itself the ability to create a couple dozen competitors that offer roughly the same product. The costs of proliferating so many different brands - the engineering, design, validation, tooling, capitalization, federalization, distribution, and marketing - just isn't supported by the profit margins of the industry.

I mean, come on - how many different DOHC inline-4s and V6s does the world really need? Yeah, sure, when the industry was flush with cash, we could all afford to get emotionally attached to the minor (in the grand scheme of things) differences in different engine architectures. Those days are largely past us, I suspect.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by CaminoLS6
I take it that you don't work in the auto industry.

Quick Reply: I keep hearing that American doesn't need 3 car companies, but...