Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Are Hyundai's new ads aiming a little too high?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 02:58 PM

Are Hyundai's new ads aiming a little too high?

I've seen three Hyundai commercials, all comparing three of their models against a BMW 760i, a Lexus LS460L, and a Land Rover Range Rover. The Hyundai cars all have similar features to these luxury cars, and in some cases may outperform them. The message is that Hyundai's cars have great features but are cheaper than you'd expect. However, I think Hyundai may be aiming a little out of their reach with these ads. I don't think anyone who buys those luxury vehicles are cross-shopping with Hyundai. It seems to me like Hyundai is trying to forcibly insert themselves into that class of vehicles. The person buying the Hyundai is not going to show off their vehicle as if it were in the same class as a BMW or a Lexus (and if they did, they'd probably be shot down pretty quickly). Is Hyundai out of their league here, or are they doing the right thing?
Old 05-01-2007, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by skorpion317
I've seen three Hyundai commercials, all comparing three of their models against a BMW 760i, a Lexus LS460L, and a Land Rover Range Rover. The Hyundai cars all have similar features to these luxury cars, and in some cases may outperform them. The message is that Hyundai's cars have great features but are cheaper than you'd expect. However, I think Hyundai may be aiming a little out of their reach with these ads. I don't think anyone who buys those luxury vehicles are cross-shopping with Hyundai. It seems to me like Hyundai is trying to forcibly insert themselves into that class of vehicles. The person buying the Hyundai is not going to show off their vehicle as if it were in the same class as a BMW or a Lexus (and if they did, they'd probably be shot down pretty quickly). Is Hyundai out of their league here, or are they doing the right thing?
Of course nobody cross shops a Range Rover and a Hyundai. But by comparing a main line volume model to a high end presetiege model they may get some people who would have considered the Hyundai 'below them' to consider the brand. Chevrolet did the same thing w/ the Equinox when it came out, comparing it to the Lexus RX. I really doubt anyone was cross shopping the two but if it makes the volume/value car seem higher on the scale then why not?
Old 05-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Banned

I agree. If you make it seem as though your product actually is viable competition for something else that may seemingly be out of your league, you might just get people to think twice before they discount it altogether. I think if they've got a legitimate reason to compare their vehicles to the likes of Lexus and BMW, then by all means go for it.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:51 PM

My dad damn near flipped when he saw that they were comparing the Sonata to the 525i. But hell, the Malibu 3.5 matches that discription as well.
Pontiac is saying that the Torrent GXP will outperform an X5. I thought that was crazy.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:31 AM
Koz

Ford is comparing the Edge with BMWs and Lexuses (Lexii?) in their commercials too.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:08 AM

I remember when Lee Iaccoca used compare the K-Car to BMWs and Mercedes.