Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Camaro was fast, but the times still passed it by

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 07:34 AM

Post Camaro was fast, but the times still passed it by

This is the title of an article that appeared in todays Orlando Sentinel. This article was written by Warren Brown of The Washington Post. In this article Mr. (Uncle Ben) Brown states that the Camaro, Firebird is going out of production blaa, blaa, blaa. He also states that the 2002 Camaro SS writes it's own epitaph, "Here rests a car that couldn't face adulthood with anything approaching grace and class. Better go out in a flame of red, black and silver glory with big V8 engine snarling and tires burning rubber on the road to hell. Rock on!"
He also states the he's aware of it's limitations and missed opportunities the car was once the adored rebel without a cause roaring through urban streets, but has lost touch with friends who finished high school, college, married, kids, blaa, blaa, blaa where the cars are no longer welcome in more serene upscale suburbs. He then goes on about how the cars couldn't break out of their muscle-bound isolation, quick on straight roads, but loses its composure on tight curves, a torture chamber on poorly maintained roads, useless back seats, floor bump, blaa, blaa, blaa. Now here is where this guys real tastes begin to show. He states "it's done nothing to attract the generation X and Y types who are drawn to "pocket rockets" and "hot hatches" such as the Honda Civic Si, the Subaru Impreza WRX, the Dodge Neon ACR, the BMW designed Mini Cooper S, the Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V and the VW GTI 1.8t. He then writes about a episode where he's driving around in a red, black, silver-striped SS (on loan no doubt from the newspaper) and is pumping gas. At an adjacent pump some kid was filling a "very slick monochrome indigo-blue-metallic Honda Civic. Empirical observation says he put about $5000 extra into that little car to get it looking the way he wanted it to look. But even with all those added touches, the kid's Civic didn't seem the least bit ostentatious. (Now get this part) He looked at the Camaro SS convertible and dismissed the car with a shake of his head and a smirk". He then goes on about to talk about how he is, in an odd way, going to miss the cars, he states, "There was a time when I thought those cars were what I wanted to be - brash, rough, in-your-face. I loved the roar of their engines and the way their rear wheels squealed on takeoff, all of which I experienced in the 35th AE Camaro SS. But alas the thrill was gone, instead, I was overcome by the car's inadquacies," blaa, blaa, blaa. "I surely didn't like the Camaro's inability to take curves in the way they could be taken even in an economy pocket rocket, such as the Hyundai Tiburon V6 GT. I can't go back to Camaro-think again. Nor can I any longer fly with the Firebird. It's time to move on."

After I finished reading this article, I turn the page of the newspaper and what do I see a picture of, and an article titled "Pontiac GTO is back in the lineup after 30-year absence". The article talks about the Holden built, RWD, 5.7 liter V8, pumping out more than 325 hp. Transmission choices will be an A4 or an M6 with big 17" wheels. Price is expected to be around $30K.

I thought everyone should read what some people are currently thinking. On one hand you have some Uncle Ben lover trashing our beloved cars and on the other hand an anouncement about a new comer with the same, exact power train. WTF????????

------------------
-1998 Z28 M6, Onyx, Borla, FRA, direct flow lid, TBB, K&N
-1999 SS Build #2205, M6, Met Navy Blue, t-tops, TBB, CAGS, K&N
Old 06-27-2002, 11:13 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dmaastr:

I thought everyone should read what some people are currently thinking. On one hand you have some Uncle Ben lover trashing our beloved cars and on the other hand an anouncement about a new comer with the same, exact power train. WTF????????

</font>
Maybe the powertrain was all that was salvageable.

Old 06-27-2002, 01:02 PM

I agree with dmaastr. Warren Brown is definitely in an F-Body-bashing mode. I live in a Va. suburb of Wash., D.C. Mr. Brown's column of praise last Sunday for the Hyundai Tiburon also included a comment about all the not-so-nice letters he had received after his column bashing the anniv. SS. I just wonder how many of those "smirking" Honda-driving kids wouldn't love to have an F-Body if insurance were equal? The guy who drives the courtesy shuttle for my mechanic is all of about 20. He drives a Civic, complete with neon interior lighting. He says that all of his friends drive "family" cars that they mod because the insurance is much lower, and they can still have fun. I think the Holden GTO will do well, even with the same powertrain, because it is more "mainstream" in appearance. Hence, the popularity of the Mustang. But, I have a '94Z, polo green, and I get many compliments at gas stations, 7-elevens. Haven't had a smirk yet. Don't take the negative stuff to heart. Warren Brown is an older dude, and a lot of the younger generation has grown up on Japanese cars, and they don't want to/can't pay the insurance on an F-Body. Drive what makes you happy.
Old 06-27-2002, 02:28 PM

If this guy thinks a Camaro is a torture chamber on rough roads, wait until he gets into that lowered Civic with 18" rims.

If the F-body had a major redesign in the last 10 years, you wouldn't even be reading articles like this. Everyone knows about the backseat and hump (that HUGE of a deal??), but obviously there's still a market for these cars. Somebody and their friends are stil buying Mustangs (which aren't any better on those same twisty roads). Sales only started slipping more heavily after GM decided to be stagnant with the F-body. Everyone's heard this before and has their own opinion on their demise.

It is correct that a large portion of the youth no longer wants a car like this. Blame it on perceptions, false or true. Right now, that age group accepts lowly, boring family cars and doesn't mind spending ridiculous amounts of money on stickers, wings, etc to "personalize" their car. That money could have been spent on the "outrageous" insurance on an F-body just the same. They don't want one. Again, back to whatever their perceptions are. A Honda Civic (which we see as a lame econobox) is a feature car in The Fast & The Furious and an exciting, affordable drive with a lot of aftermarket potential. A Camaro is out of style for them, too Dukes of Hazard and Smokey & The Bandit. It's too much like a car their dads would like to have. I guess it's more appealing to rig up mom's old car instead. Of course as they all strive to make their cars look different, the more they look the same. Just like any other teenage fad, like piercings and hair dying. Regardless, acutal performance is a sidenote.

Everyone's quick to write these stories about how times have changed and this style of car is no longer welcome. Sure, the '02 Camaro is out of date and in need of some freshening, but there are still people interested in performance cars. The problem is those people have moved to the Mustang which is "newer" and it has a perception as being more livable. I guess it makes for a good story to write, "glory days gone by." Maybe he should have paid more attention to the facts and actual market trends that show more rwd and v8-powered cars to be right around the corner.

Time to move on to a Hyundai Tiburon GT? A car with no backseat room and poor materials quality? Sounds like another car he was describing. Maybe the kid at the gas station won't give him a smirk, though.

[This message has been edited by jrp4uc (edited June 27, 2002).]
Old 06-27-2002, 08:07 PM

Angry

Ok, I've said it once and I'll say it again. I'm 18 and I can totally speak for the youth, maybe not for the nation, but at least in my area. The F-bod is must more highly praise than any civic. Everyone of my friends are into cars. They all understand them and know that these lil 4-bangers aren’t any good. The kids I meet that are into ricers are the uneducated folk that just got done watching "the fast and the gay". They have no real clue about cars. I'm just so sick of reading these post that say the ENTIRE youth of the nation would rather drive a 4 cylinder pocket rocket with stickers, neon lights and a huge nonfunctional wing then a RWD V8 modern day muscle car. Real car guys "enthusiasts" of the younger gen know that the Camaro and TA are respectable badass cars. We laugh at the civics. period, end of story, well at least in north Texas.

------------------
Stefan

1995 3.4L Camaro, Mystic Metallic Green, M5, 3.23’s, T-tops, every option except the V8

Ignore the future mods on my site, my plans have changed.
See my car here:
http://members.tripod.com/stars101010/

Best time: 10.7 @ 63mph in the 1/8 mile
Old 06-27-2002, 08:20 PM

Cool

same here, im 17... have a camaro... '98 LOVE! it...

best friend has a '98 eclipse GST (all-wheel drive, turbo)

yea its quik..but... from roll.. i stay with him...(i have 3.8L).. and its a dam ricer! he thinks he can take my friends mustang GT, well find out next weekend...( MAYBE from the start but.. ****, ive riden in both car... stang has MUCH more punch to it...

anyways
cory
Old 06-27-2002, 10:37 PM

Question

What do you mean by "Uncle Ben"?
Old 07-01-2002, 06:52 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by josephjrr:
What do you mean by "Uncle Ben"?</font>

Uncle Ben is associated with what? You guessed it, RICE. I think its rather obvious that Mr. Brown's tastes lie in this direction when he states that he would rather move on to a Hyundai or a Civic than a Camaro SS. Maybe he could spend 5 grand improving on a Civic, add a big fart can, a giant wing, some really neat ground effects, a fast and furious paint job, and especially some really cool oriental stickers (Type R, got to have this one) then he could really smirk at us f-body owners.

Get the picture?

------------------
-1998 Z28 M6, Onyx, Borla, FRA, direct flow lid, TBB, K&N
-1999 SS Build #2205, M6, Met Navy Blue, t-tops, TBB, CAGS, K&N
Old 07-01-2002, 02:08 PM

He's an older guy who probably never grew up with these cars. Journalists are people too and its impossible to separate opinions from their writing. Civic's and other ricer cars are catching on just as GM drops the Camaro/Firebird while the two are not connected in reality many magazines and journalists don't know the real reasons GM dropped the car. (neither do we) SO they say the ricers sport compacts forced them out.

I always get frustrated with the ricer Civic's and Integra's because when people rave about how fast they are or how cool they look. They only see the pimped out versions not the every day commuter cars that pass quietly back and forth with out ever being noticed. But a Camaro is an exciting car no matter what model or year. You don't have to do anything to it. Its a sporty car with nice aggressive looks and equally powerful motors available. The same kid who smirked at the 35th Camaro SS has no idea that the car will crush the Civic in any speed or handling contest!

------------------
2002 Z28 white/neutral A4 3.23
13.33 @ 104.7 - 650 miles
286rwhp/311rwtq - 1300 miles
STOCK for now!
Gone but not forgotten,
1999 Silver SS 6M #3956
1997 Black Z28 A4 3.23
------------------
Ryan S.
Old 07-01-2002, 02:22 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Klypto:
same here, im 17... have a camaro... '98 LOVE! it...

best friend has a '98 eclipse GST (all-wheel drive, turbo)

yea its quik..but... from roll.. i stay with him...(i have 3.8L).. and its a dam ricer! he thinks he can take my friends mustang GT, well find out next weekend...( MAYBE from the start but.. ****, ive riden in both car... stang has MUCH more punch to it...

anyways
cory
</font>
If you can stay with him in your 3.8 (which is about as fast as the 5.0 of the early 90's) then the faster post 98 4.6 Mustang should humble him completely.