Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Hummer in trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 10:44 AM

Hummer in trouble?

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosins...c01-253341.htm
Old 08-25-2004, 10:57 AM

Re: Hummer in trouble?

I guess peolpe are starting to learn that it isnt a real hummer. Saw a few shows stating how NOT rugged it was...how it would break easilly and couldnt really go anywhere offroad.

Thats what you get from taking a suburban frame and just changing the appearance (exageration).
Old 08-25-2004, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by AAAAAAA
I guess peolpe are starting to learn that it isnt a real hummer. Saw a few shows stating how NOT rugged it was...how it would break easilly and couldnt really go anywhere offroad.

Thats what you get from taking a suburban frame and just changing the appearance (exageration).

More likely is the whole "it's been out a while" factor, and the fact that they are not so "exclusive" anymore, as you see a few each day... so those people looking for something different to stick out in the crowd are looking for other new vehicles that noone has yet.

I doubt more than 1% of Hummer buyers EVER use them for their offroad capabilities, which are still very high for a stock vehicle, and probably only second to an H1.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by AAAAAAA

You can still take them offroad, you just can't take them to places that you could take a Hummer or Wrangler. (also Darth, I think the H2 would place behind the Wrangler in that category as well )
Old 08-25-2004, 11:04 AM

Finally! This Suv is useless. Its to big to go offroading and the interior is tiny compared to even the Ford Expedition and Tahoe! They made the cargo area useless by protruding the wheel wells halfway into the bed!
Old 08-25-2004, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
offroad capabilities, which are still very high for a stock vehicle, and probably only second to an H1.
Dont think I agree with this, but I have never driven one offroad myself so I cant know for sure.

what I can say is that in one of the shows I watched, they had it offroad to see what it could do. It was always stuck and they broke quite a few things along the way... they also mentioned that other owners had had the same issue. Cant remember what broke...someone else on here must have seen the same show as I did.

I think you nailed it when you said it was baught for looks and uniquness...wich is probably what it was also built for...and not for offroading.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:08 AM

The H2 used to be the only SUV I liked..... until I sat in one.

Visibility is horrendous, the interior plastic feels cheap & brittle, the one I sat in had loose & broken fasteners, and the feel was of a customized vehicle not a tough, go anywhere borderline tank.

Maybe the H3 will be better, but I don't see a purpose to the H2 anymore. Seems others are starting to agree.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:17 AM

The H2 has one of the worst interiors I've ever seen in a modern vehicle. It doesn't have very much utility either.

I guess a $50,000, 10 MPG, 5 passenger vehicle, with a bad interior, poor visibilty, and disappointing utility.....has limited market appeal.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by falchulk
Finally! This Suv is useless. Its to big to go offroading and the interior is tiny compared to even the Ford Expedition and Tahoe! They made the cargo area useless by protruding the wheel wells halfway into the bed!
That was a completely moronic statement. The H2 is by no means "useless". It is very capable for what it is, its just not a great offroader. I've test drove H2's many times, and never did I feel "cramped." In fact, even the front seats were big enough to have a comfortable "rendevous" in with my g/f at the time. Can you say Hummer in a Hummer?

I'm very glad nobody is losing jobs. Hummer is a very big part of our economy where I live, if they started cutting jobs, things would get ugly around here real quick. (and its always fun to be around that place for the shift changes, see all kinds of cool sh*t happen, H2's playing stoplight warriors, occasional H1's popping up)

Where the fawk are you guys getting this cheap interior from?! I realize I have a little bit of bias but holy crap. I thought the interior was pretty damn nice! Definately better than 95% of domestic vehicles.

Last edited by Meccadeth; 08-25-2004 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Meccadeth
That was a completely moronic statement. The H2 is by no means "useless". It is very capable for what it is, its just not a great offroader. I've test drove H2's many times, and never did I feel "cramped." In fact, even the front seats were big enough to have a comfortable "rendevous" in with my g/f at the time. Can you say Hummer in a Hummer?

I'm very glad nobody is losing jobs. Hummer is a very big part of our economy where I live, if they started cutting jobs, things would get ugly around here real quick. (and its always fun to be around that place for the shift changes, see all kinds of cool sh*t happen, H2's playing stoplight warriors, occasional H1's popping up)

Where the fawk are you guys getting this cheap interior from?! I realize I have a little bit of bias but holy crap. I thought the interior was pretty damn nice! Definately better than 95% of domestic vehicles.
I currently own an Expedition , it's way more functional then the hummer I drove for 2 days last winter. Have you ever opened the rear hatch??? For something so big it has no interior room. Even the seats were cramped. i am 6'4'" and 240 lbs. I am a bigger guy but not huge. I just found it lacking all around. The Tahoe I owned before the Expy also was a lot more functional and seemed much larger on the inside. I have a friend with an Avalanche that absolutely blow's the hummer away in look/feel, quality and function. My statement did not come out of my a$$. It's the opinion of somone that has driven it and did not like it at all.

By the way, the hummer is actually a GREAT truck off road. Its just to big to be useful. I drove it up the side of a mountain on normal size service roads that it was too big for. I would never have taken it on a typical trail. The paint would have been destroyed and I likely would have gotten it stuck.

Last edited by falchulk; 08-25-2004 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:40 PM

Actually Hummer H2 sales were higher than expected at first, now sale are just back down to normal levels. Diesel HUMMER H2 is comming in 2006