Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Hummer H2 is best selling Luxury SUV!!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 04:33 PM

Re: Re: Hummer H2 is best selling Luxury SUV!!?

Originally posted by redzed
Considering that Hummer has a limited number of dealers, these sales results are amazing. I hope that the decent sales motivate GM to proceed with the H4 as a Jeep Wrangler competitor. I've had just about enough of "soft-roaders" as opposed to real off-roaders.
I hope that comment wasn't directed at the Wrangler (TJ). It's the best true 4x4 out there under $50k. (Have to add that qualifier, because the Mercedes G-Wagen and Unimogs are the absolute best)
Old 04-06-2003, 04:43 PM

To comment on what makes a good off-roader:

Depends on your terrain. Mud is a lot different than rocks, hills, etc. Mud requires a lot of HP, a longer wheelbase and a taller suspension than other setups.

I used to do rocks, hills etc. For that, the best vehicle would be one that had a low center of gravity, short wheelbase, wide track (but small enough that it can get through obstacles), good suspension articulation (the body staying level while a wheel drops down into a hole), good, sticky mud tires (the Goodyear MT/r is the best right now for on and off road, MTs/Swampers for straight offroad), and high ground clearance between the wheels.

If anyone wants to know more, feel free to email.
Old 04-06-2003, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by bulldoguav
To comment on what makes a good off-roader:

Depends on your terrain. Mud is a lot different than rocks, hills, etc. Mud requires a lot of HP, a longer wheelbase and a taller suspension than other setups.

I used to do rocks, hills etc. For that, the best vehicle would be one that had a low center of gravity, short wheelbase, wide track (but small enough that it can get through obstacles), good suspension articulation (the body staying level while a wheel drops down into a hole), good, sticky mud tires (the Goodyear MT/r is the best right now for on and off road, MTs/Swampers for straight offroad), and high ground clearance between the wheels.

If anyone wants to know more, feel free to email.
So being that the H2 is basically a Tahoe on steroids structurally, and that it has the same powertrain & (I'm just guessing here) suspension components that are at least simular, what if anything, would make a H2 a better offroader than a cheaper Tahoe, or vice versa?
Old 04-06-2003, 11:08 PM

Well, quickly:

2003 Hummer H2 2003 Tahoe Z71
Price $49, 270 $42,862
Wheelbase122.8 116.0
Length 189.8 196.9
Front overhang 32.6 37.0
Rear overhang 34.6 43.9
Diff height 10 8.4
Engine 6.0L/316hp/360lb 5.3L/285hp/325lb
Suspension Coil IRS

For $7000 more (but don't forget the possible tax write-off), you get much better angles of approach and departure (as indicated by the differences in wheelbase and length - closer together is better), nearly 9" less overhang in the rear, 35 more lb-ft of torque (which is essential offroad), and coil suspension, which allows for greater articulation (allowing one tire to stay on the ground while the other is higher/lower and to keep traction and the body level)

I'd buy an H2 over a Tahoe Z71 any day of the week since the price is so similar.