Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Hummer H2 is best selling Luxury SUV!!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by 99SilverSS
GM has got to be laughing all the way to the bank. The profit margins on those H2's is very high, and with the Escalade doing well they are worth the sale of 10 S10's or Cavaliers, for bottom line.
Yeah,They better be making alot of money on it.It is a rebodied Tahoe for cryin out loud.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:48 PM

I Wonder what it costs them to actually make each $52,000 Hummer. $20,000 or so???
Old 04-03-2003, 01:12 AM
Banned

Originally posted by guionM
I Wonder what it costs them to actually make each $52,000 Hummer. $20,000 or so???
I'd say that's a pretty low blow. A hopped up Tahoe like the Escalade might have an enormous profit margin, but the H2 is a different beast. Considering the relatively small (planned) production volumes, they didn't have a huge number of units to amortise the design and one-time production costs over.

Overall, I'd say that the H2 required a fairly substantial investment. On a visual level, I have a hard time spotting any shared components or structures. Even the interior design is fairly original, and more appealing, than a conventional GM offering. The wild styling draws your attention, but a look in the window doesn't disappoint.

Now I'm sure that GM is turning more than "one thin dime" on each H2 sold, but compared to a Navigator or Escalade, the profit can't be staggering. I like the H2, and I'm glad that its a success.

Sadly, I don't have any call to buy one. If I cared to work hard enough to afford one (yikes, too many ulcers!) I'd say that an H2 would be worth every penny of the MSRP.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by guess who
Yeah,They better be making alot of money on it.It is a rebodied Tahoe for cryin out loud.
It may share a some components, but the only more capable off-road vehicle if the H1.

Not that these things will probably get used for that... but still, it is quite capable.
Old 04-03-2003, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by Darth Xed
It may share a some components, but the only more capable off-road vehicle if the H1.

Not that these things will probably get used for that... but still, it is quite capable.
Im not knocking how capable it is,But Id like to see a On/Off road test of the thing with Tahoe wheels and tires on it.
Styling?Sure it looks different,Yeah it followed the H1 theme.But with more "sexy" looking vehicles on the market.Heck I find it odd to buy one of those things just because it "looks" different.
<insert Red-Neck voice> "Yeah,I just paid 53,000 for this here truck,So what if it looks like the box that Shaq's shoes comin"
Old 04-03-2003, 01:29 PM

Im not knocking how capable it is,But Id like to see a On/Off road test of the thing with Tahoe wheels and tires on it.
The "wheels and tires" aren't all the difference.
Old 04-03-2003, 02:16 PM

The "wheels and tires" aren't all the difference.

Im aware of that,BUT,I still wanna see that test with the Tahoe rubber.
Old 04-03-2003, 02:19 PM

Im aware of that,BUT,I still wanna see that test with the Tahoe rubber.

Well, to perform like that off road, you need the proper equipment...

You could put Tahoe-type wheels and tires on a military issue Hum-Vee (sp?) and it wouldn't perform to it's capabilities either...

I guess what I'm trying ot get at is that saying that is similar to saying "I'd like to see what that Top-Fuel dragster would run with a set of Cavalier tires... " but to a lesser extent.

Last edited by Darth Xed; 04-03-2003 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:25 PM

Well, to perform like that off road, you need the proper equipment...

You could put Tahoe-type wheels and tires on a military issue Hum-Vee (sp?) and it wouldn't perform to it's capabilities either...

I guess what I'm trying ot get at is that saying that is similar to saying "I'd like to see what that Top-Fuel dragster would run with a set of Cavalier tires... " but to a lesser extent.

I understand your point,But your just missing mine I think,They bring all this hype about this thing,Which like most already know 90% of the H2's wont see real offroading.But I would like to see how the H2 would do against a Tahoe with a equal tire set up.Now Im not talking a GM truck commercial where they put the smallest tire on a Ford truck and then run the GM with the biggest tire GM offers.Even steven "both" GM products.Same tires.
Now that would be some really good reading wouldnt you say?
Old 04-04-2003, 07:42 AM

I understand your point,But your just missing mine I think,They bring all this hype about this thing,Which like most already know 90% of the H2's wont see real offroading.But I would like to see how the H2 would do against a Tahoe with a equal tire set up.Now Im not talking a GM truck commercial where they put the smallest tire on a Ford truck and then run the GM with the biggest tire GM offers.Even steven "both" GM products.Same tires.
Now that would be some really good reading wouldnt you say?

Fair enough.

Not that I am an H2 expert or anything, but from the bit I've read, I was pretty sure that there was substantial suspension changes compared to Tahoe... the type that would provide better stability and traction and the ability to climb crazy grades and such...

Hey - shoot GM an email... maybe they'll let you gdo the comparo and loan you a Tahoe and an H2!
Old 04-04-2003, 11:11 AM

Fair enough.

Not that I am an H2 expert or anything, but from the bit I've read, I was pretty sure that there was substantial suspension changes compared to Tahoe... the type that would provide better stability and traction and the ability to climb crazy grades and such...

Hey - shoot GM an email... maybe they'll let you gdo the comparo and loan you a Tahoe and an H2!
If they did that,I would definately call you up!
Man I wish a mag would do a test like that.
Old 04-04-2003, 01:42 PM

Question

Been reading your conversation which left me wondering, what actually makes a good offroader?

It's not like a performance car where the quickest or fastest wins. I know ground clearence, short overhangs, steering and a resistence towards bending itself in half are all very important.

But on expanding on the Hummer vs Tahoe conversation, how would one determine the better 4x4 between say a Blazer and Dakota, or any other 2 vehicles with 4 wheel drive (including your H2 vs Tahoe conversation), a full frame, and a ability not to get stuck? Especially if both vehicles being compared did in fact have the same wheels & tires?

(See, I don't know everything. )

Last edited by guionM; 04-04-2003 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-04-2003, 01:43 PM

Been reading your conversation which left me wondering, what actually makes a good offroader?

It's not like a performance car where the quickest or fastest wins. I know ground clearence, short overhangs, steering and a resistence towards bending itself in half are all very important.

But on expanding on the Hummer vs Tahoe conversation, how would one determine the better 4x4 between say a Blazer and Dakota, or any other 2 vehicles with 4 wheel drive, a full frame, and a ability not to get stuck?

Ya, offroaders arent my area of knowledge either... but if I were to look for an offroader, my #1 priority would be not getting stuck somewhere!! :
Old 04-04-2003, 05:55 PM

When I got the email,I could of swore you would lay down the law here,But mainly what an offroad guy wants to know is "How big a lift kit can I get for it"
Old 04-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Banned

How is that car luxurious?? At night it looks like a frickin landing strip for an airport with all those crazy orange lights on the top of it..Sheesh!

Quick Reply: Hummer H2 is best selling Luxury SUV!!?