Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

How is the sales of the PPV?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 09:35 AM

Re: How is the sales of the PPV?

thanks for brining that back up..

the Caprice looks odd as a cop car without lights. The Caprice is probably selling low one reason the CV's were bought up recently from the departments that wanted them before they were gone? Then the others just did like you said took out the Taurus ones as the replacements..or dont know there is a Chevy cop car..

Though I see a lot of Charger cop cars now..
Old 03-19-2012, 02:41 PM

I saw a new body style Charger police Car this week in Town & Country ($$$) markings. I saw one Caprice PPV this week. It was a Kirkwood Police K-9 unit.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:39 PM

I had to kick this back to the top.

About a week ago I saw a brand new Easley Police Challenger. They use a really cool deep metallic blue/white combo on their cars and it actually looked really bad ***.

Yesterday I saw my first PPV and I stand corrected on my initial assumption that it looked boring and dated (has a 90's look to it.) Yup, I was wrong. It looks MORE BORING in person than in the pics. I had to do a double take. I thought it was an impala at first glance but then realized what it was. I had a good minute to look it over, traffic was jammed up in both lanes and the cop was "side by side" with me going the opposite direction until traffic finally moved again. Again, to me, this looks like a car GM would have come out with TEN years ago.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:59 PM

I just saw about 8 of these with light bars in a NYS Trooper parking lot. That will be huge for Chevy if these replace the Crown Vic state wide.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:41 PM

I definitely want GM to get their numbers up. I know they're fleet sales but it's great our municipalites and government agencies still (for the most part) buy from the US manufacturers. I just hate the car is so gosh dang bland because it's guts have so much potential. A few have mentioned a sleeper car, but who cares? I want a car that looks cool too. I think I actually like the look of the current bland impala over the PPV. Actually, the new impala would make a pretty sweet looking cop car...
Old 04-08-2012, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Silverado C-10
I definitely want GM to get their numbers up. I know they're fleet sales but it's great our municipalites and government agencies still (for the most part) buy from the US manufacturers. I just hate the car is so gosh dang bland because it's guts have so much potential. A few have mentioned a sleeper car, but who cares? I want a car that looks cool too. I think I actually like the look of the current bland impala over the PPV. Actually, the new impala would make a pretty sweet looking cop car...
It's all in what's on a car that makes it boring or "bad a**".

The old Caprice was far from cool until Chevy dunked it in black paint and put on a set of rims. The current Dodge Charger has it's picture in the dictionary next to the word bad-a**, but when you see one in black and white police trim with black steel rims, it blends in.

The Caprice is the same way.

Here's an example:

Hard to believe that's the exact same car, right?

I most certainly can not agree with you in saying the Impala is better... even in civilian trim:

Also, most police and especially highway enforcement prefer the low profile, boring look.....

...... unless you live in the State of Victoria, in Australia for instance.

Last edited by guionM; 04-08-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
It's all in what's on a car that makes it boring or "bad a**".

The old Caprice was far from cool until Chevy dunked it in black paint and put on a set of rims. The current Dodge Charger has it's picture in the dictionary next to the word bad-a**, but when you see one in black and white police trim with black steel rims, it blends in.

The Caprice is the same way.

Here's an example:

Hard to believe that's the exact same car, right?

I can't say the Impala is better, even in civilian trim:

Also, most police and especially highway enforcement prefer the low profile, boring look.....

...... unless you live in the State of Victoria, in Australia for instance.

Only in Australia does it make sense for police cars to have checkered racing stripes.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:15 AM

I haven't seen a Caprice PPV on the street yet. I will say that the Charger looks freaking badass as a cop car, IMO. Both the old and the new body style. Somehow they manage to make the 18" covered steel wheels look sweet. It looks like the Charger is becoming the new norm around here as Crown Vics are phased out.

I haven't seen a new Taurus Interceptor yet, either. In pics it looks kinda dorky, or at least far less awesome than the Charger.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:44 AM

I just heard on the news this past week that the City of Omaha is in the process of leasing a bunch of Caprices for our cities fleet. The old Vics we have are really beat up and old... looks like a bunch of Demo Derby cars running around!

I'm looking forward to seeing the Caprice on the steets!
Old 04-09-2012, 01:03 PM

Upstate NY
Name:  hU8FZh.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  153.5 KB
Name:  3gA9dh.jpg
Size:  153.1 KB

Kind of odd that they are black and not navy blue. Although NYS troopers did use some black Camaro B4Cs in the late 2000's
Old 04-09-2012, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
Only in Australia does it make sense for police cars to have checkered racing stripes.
Seriously, there is something so simultaneously hilarious and kick *** about that I can't even express it. Full on SSV spoilers, too.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:14 PM

Name:  IMAG0673.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  131.0 KB

I think the Caprice PPV looks good in person. Pictures just don't do it justice.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

I saw a white one at a dealer's used car lot a few weeks ago. Kind of funny to see one there before they are on the streets in any significant numbers.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:57 AM

Name:  syMWW.jpg
Size:  752.1 KB

Name:  YL1NQ.jpg
Size:  607.0 KB
Old 07-31-2012, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by 30thZ286speed
I think the Caprice PPV looks good in person. Pictures just don't do it justice.
Having seen one in person (a black 9C3 "detective" version) I agree. I've even noticed a few dealers on ebay selling them in Texas and Ohio. Out of the three color options (white, silver, or black), I actually like the sinister look of all black.

I'm definitely going to be watching the police auctions in the next few years for a used one.

Quick Reply: How is the sales of the PPV?