Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

How is the sales of the PPV?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 01:56 PM

Question How is the sales of the PPV?

Just wondering. Been seeing a lot of Chargers out there as the car of choice now. Since the CV is gone.

The Caprice? Is it selling how bout the PPV Taurus? Just curious to see what the info on these are. Looks like Dodge has the market on these cars now.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:04 PM

Re: How is the sales of the PPV?

Taurus police interceptor isn't out yet. I have not seen any Caprices or new 2012 Chargers yet. I know my town didn't buy any new cars this year (last year they got 2 Impalas and a Tahoe) and the New York State Police have a surplus of new Tahoes to put into service before they buy anything new. The city of Albany uses Chargers. I've been keeping my eyes open for 2012's but have not seen any yet.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:08 PM

FWIU, there were a limited number of 2011 MY Caprices made. I got to test drive one at work. The fleet mgr. will be ordering more soon.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:39 AM

CHP has gone to Chargers and so has Arizona.

There's not too many agencies buying new patrol cars now due to budget cuts.

Just my 2 cents: Police agencies look ay maintence as well as repair costs. There's also prefab accesories that only are available on vehicles and platforms that have been around awhile.

Caprices aren't going to have the network that the Charger has, and parts are likely to cost a little more as well. Even if it isn't much, cash strapped agencies are likely to consider this before buying the few patrol cars they're going to purchase.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:59 AM

I have a friend who is a used-car dealer. Used to be the go-to guy for LT1 Caprices, the market isn't nearly as hot for Crown Vics- I have a Z28 I bought from him that was owned by the IRS in NYS- a government-ordered Z28, has to be sort of rare. And my Tahoe was an MTA K-9 unit, came with the dog hair pre-installed. Perfect for me, I have a couple dogs, too.

Any way, he had a police spec Charger last summer. I drove it, pretty sweet. Impressive brakes and handling, I was thinking of trading the Z28 in, but the wife said no- I was thinking of it like a 4-door sports car, V-8, RWD, with posi, independent rear suspension- They definitely have my attention- haven't had the opportunity to drive a new Caprice yet, but they are on my radar also.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:53 AM

From the LEOs I talked to, they say the brakes on the Chargers are crap. But compared to the Crown Vic, almost anything is an upgrade.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:06 AM

Here in Nypd we basickly have 60% Impalas + some left over CV (20%) and recently we start getting ford fusions hybryd. Some precints and Traffic units got Volts. Charges are less than 5% of the fleet.
NO PPV or new Taurus cars as of right now.
S.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:02 AM

Here in Kentucky, KSP (Kentucky State Police) has ordered 100 Caprice PPVs. Other than a dozen or so 2002 Camaro B4Cs (which are still on the road) they have used Ford CV exclusively since 1992. The sheriff's office which I use to work at has gone to Chargers.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:14 PM

KSP has gotten some Caprice PPVs in.

Its such a waste for this car to be mandated only for fleet duties.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:31 PM

The PPV Caprice is selling terribly. About 50-100 units a month. Part of the problem is the delay from ordering to delivery. It can take 6 months or longer.

The Ford Interceptor just went into product. They have had some huge orders already. One advantage they have, is any accessories that go in a CV can go in the Interceptor. This saves the department alot of money.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by 94LightningGal
The PPV Caprice is selling terribly. About 50-100 units a month. Part of the problem is the delay from ordering to delivery. It can take 6 months or longer.

The Ford Interceptor just went into product. They have had some huge orders already. One advantage they have, is any accessories that go in a CV can go in the Interceptor. This saves the department alot of money.
Maybe this somehow ties into the whole new nameplate for Chevy in NASCAR thing. If they have more cars coming here..I would think it would make delivery faster.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by formula79
Maybe this somehow ties into the whole new nameplate for Chevy in NASCAR thing. If they have more cars coming here..I would think it would make delivery faster.
If they're going to do a civilian version of the Caprice, which they would have to do for NASCAR, then they'd move production to North America. If IRC, that's how Toyota eventually got the Camry in, they were being manufactured in the States.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:40 PM

Is the Caprice manufactured right along side the Camaro in Canada??? I only because the exchange rate right now favors production in the US. Same for Australia
Old 03-18-2012, 01:27 PM

It is imported from "Down Under."
Old 03-18-2012, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by 30thZ286speed
KSP has gotten some Caprice PPVs in.

Its such a waste for this car to be mandated only for fleet duties.
Thanks for posting, I now have something new to watch out for.

FWIW Louisville Metro PD has been running fully marked Tauruses for a year or so now so I thought the PI version was already out, had one shoot past me last year with a line of CVs doing 80+ on the Snyder that almost made me crap my pants (the Taurus passed me on the left shoulder before I could get out of the way and I couldn't hear their sirens either). Either they were doing a shakedown or were headed to something BIG and nothing made the news at that time so I figure they were just giving it a once over.

Quick Reply: How is the sales of the PPV?