Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

HOT POTATO THREAD! Open only if you're a grown up.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 10:44 AM

Yup, 1LE evolved out of the need for a competition package during a time the Z28 actually didn't even exist. We were in the IROC-Z era then. And when Z28 did come back as the top model, there was still a need for 1LE as a not-so-option packed racer.

If Z28 returns to what its roots are, then clearly the 1LE is obsolete and redundant and in the way of what we want to do with the Camaro.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:45 AM

I just want the fastest, best handling, no-nonsense Camaro without all the look-at-me-now crap.

I like sleepers. That's probably why I still have the stock salad-shooters on my Z-28. Sure a set of nice rims and stripes would make it look a little more agressive. But would they make it any faster?
Old 05-14-2004, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by jg95z28
I just want the fastest, best handling, no-nonsense Camaro without all the look-at-me-now crap.

I like sleepers. That's probably why I still have the stock salad-shooters on my Z-28. Sure a set of nice rims and stripes would make it look a little more agressive. But would they make it any faster?
Here's a quote from your own car website:

"My current daily ride, a sub 50K mile 1995 Z-28. Fully loaded with every option available in 1995 (pre-SS) and DEAD STOCK! (Except for tires.)"

Not trying to single you out as an 'example', but here, again, stripper don't sell.

You give the impression on being a 'no-nonsense' fan, yet your car has leather, and "every" option availble!
Old 05-14-2004, 11:17 AM

Would you all be willing to wait 4 weeks to order a Z28. I think it's common knowledge that the practice is to load the majority of cars up with options because that's where the profit is AND that's what most people want. How about waling into the dealer and saying, "I want a Z28, but add the monsoon system, delay wipers and cruise".

Or, the dealer installs it to a lot car and you wait a week for those specific options you want?

Just thinkin' of options.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:41 AM

Here it is in pictures....albiet using the 4th gen. My idea of the next Z28 package should look something like this...

http://www.gmmginc.net/html/zl1_camaro.html
Old 05-14-2004, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by Darth Xed
Here's a quote from your own car website:

"My current daily ride, a sub 50K mile 1995 Z-28. Fully loaded with every option available in 1995 (pre-SS) and DEAD STOCK! (Except for tires.)"

Not trying to single you out as an 'example', but here, again, stripper don't sell.

You give the impression on being a 'no-nonsense' fan, yet your car has leather, and "every" option availble!
I was 29 years old when I bought the car. THAT WAS ALMOST 9 YEARS AGO. Don't you think its possible that my tastes have changed and I've matured since then?
Old 05-14-2004, 12:12 PM

i want a z28 to have t-tops if (and only IF) the ss doesnt offer the same kind of performance options. for example if the ss comes with 30-40 less hp than the z28 then im not going to want the ss. yet i want t-tops, so my ONLY option is to buy a slower ss? if thats the case i will be taking my business elsewhere.

now if the ss can be had with the z28 brake setup, the z28 engine and tranny combo ect but without the "no frills" attitude of the z28 then i will be perfectly content. as will alot of other people im sure. most opting for the v8 will want it for performance because they damn sure wont be wanting the fuel mileage it gets. (in comparison to the v6) they will be wanting v8 performance.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by jg95z28
I was 29 years old when I bought the car. THAT WAS ALMOST 9 YEARS AGO. Don't you think its possible that my tastes have changed and I've matured since then?
You still have the car... you have several cars as shown on your website, so I'll assume you have the means to buy a new car if you wanted to.

You chose not to go out and buy a new stripper Z28... so your tastes must not have changed enough to back it up with the wallet...

I'm not bashing you at all... just pointing out that what people say they want and what they buy or own are not always the same thing.

Fact still remains... few people buy stripper cars. People want options. People want nice things... yes, these people even want power and handling too.

Also, what does "maturing since then" have to do at all with claiming to want a de-contented car?!

Last edited by Darth Xed; 05-14-2004 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:32 PM

The Z06 is not what I'd call a stripper. I think its "nicely equipped", LOL.

But it also has Exclusive Content.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:40 PM

Actually I did buy a new car... a bright red 2002 Tahoe... which went to my wife. But, you're right though, unless GM brings back vinyl, I probably will go with leather in my next purchase.

I actually can't afford to buy a new car now (I finally got around to paying off the Z-28 last July), and I probably won't be able to afford a new Camaro in 2007-8 because I'll have one kid in college and another in law school. Not to mention a house payment that eats up half my annual salary. However, I already told my wife I'm buying one and somehow I'll make it work out.

When did I ever say I wanted a stripper car anyway? I believe I said I didn't want stripes and a lot of look at me now add ons that do nothing for performance or comfort. A/C, power windows and locks, leather seats, t-tops... those are all comfort features that make my Z-28 more enjoyable. Stripes, scoops, fancy rims, etc... only add attention to the vehicle and don't really add anything performancewise.

I don't know about you, but I personally enjoy not sticking out in the crowd... especially for law enforcement. The '67s just plain stick out because of they're classics. Stripes or no-stripes, they always turn heads.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by Darth Xed

Fact still remains... few people buy stripper cars. People want options. People want nice things... yes, these people even want power and handling too.

Just to clarify.....

NO ONE IS ASKING FOR A STRIPPER!

Just because we want a coupe only (for rigidity, weight, specific suspension tuning, etc.) and a six speed only, doesn't mean a stripper. The Z06 has carpeting, radio, AC, PW , leather, etc,.......BUT IT IS A SPECIFIC package. And BTW, it sells pretty darned well.

What's wrong with ONE Camaro model having that sort of focus?
Old 05-14-2004, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by Z284ever
Just to clarify.....

NO ONE IS ASKING FOR A STRIPPER!

Just because we want a coupe only (for rigidity, weight, specific suspension tuning, etc.) and a six speed only, doesn't mean a stripper. The Z06 has carpeting, radio, AC, PW , leather, etc,.......BUT IT IS A SPECIFIC package. And BTW, it sells pretty darned well.

What's wrong with ONE Camaro model having that sort of focus?
THANK YOU!

That is exactly what I want. A Camaro done up in the style of the Z06.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:00 PM

OK, maybe I am going to far by saying a stripper, though I think some people have implied it. I'll take a step back on that.

Still, why keep someone from ordering the top powertrain without T-Tops (assuming they are offered in the Camaro line)?

If the car has the same roofline, which it most certainly will, and the T-Tops are sitting there on the factory shelves, why would GM not offer them, especially when they make a nice profit on them, and 85% or so of past Camaro buyers opted for them?

It doesn't make any sense. You are pushing away profit and customers.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:07 PM

That's my point with asking would you wait for ordering extra options.

I think most of us here want the Z28 (no slash) to be Z06 like. Not a stripper, but low(er) optioned for price, weight, simplicity.

If I were GM I'd have no problem giving that 1% or so the ability to get a Z28 with a special roof package or power seats. But seeing that's the minority, that might mean waiting a few weeks for your build order if the dealer can't install it.

Give 'em what they want and they will buy it.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:08 PM

a point i forgot to mention in my post was this. all 4 cars ive ever owned have been hardtops. im making it a point for my next car to have t-tops. i briefly looked at getting a used z06 and could even afford to do so, but the lack of open roof turned me away from performance i could get from other means. then i looked at a targa c5 and realised how expensive the aftermarket is. i could afford everything about the car except the mods.

thats one of the things i LOVE about the LS1 4th gens. it isnt like my 91 L98 car, where you couldnt get t-tops. you can have the fastest engine in the line up with whatever options you wanted. i want the same to hold true with the 5th gen.

Quick Reply: HOT POTATO THREAD! Open only if you're a grown up.