Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

HHR article from TCC more info

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 11:24 AM

HHR article from TCC more info

http://www.thecarconnection.com/inde...&sid=181&n=157

The production version of the 2006 HHR will be unveiled this week at the Los Angeles auto show, from which TCC will be reporting starting Wednesday, Jan. 5. The HHR had been shown in sketch form at previous auto shows. And from those shows, the HHR stood out - because in a parade of retro-flavored GM concept cars, the HHR is the only one to enter production thus far.

Chevrolet says the HHR gets its distinctive look from the '49 Chevy Suburban, which it calls the original utility vehicle (without the ****** folks around, who can argue?), and from the SSR hot-rod pickup, a semi-useful looker that's been a sales dud so far for the bowtie division. Sharing its mechanicals with the Cobalt reviewed here at TCC this week, the HHR is the crossover variant of the compact chassis that also underpins the Saturn Ion.

Chevy includes its crossover in its wide spectrum of compact offerings, as Ford does with the Escape. And like the Escape, only less SUV-centric, the HHR puts its emphasis on carrying people and things to places outside the usual compact-sedan mileu. The HRR, Chevy says, offers up enough space for five people and sports an interior that can be configured to suit the passengers, from surfboards of the watery kind to surfboards of the cable-modem kind.

Body by Boomers

While Ford seems to have run out of retro options - is there a Montclair in the offing? - Chevy hasn't yet offered a vehicle so squarely tied to its visual past as the HHR. Rest assured, what's underneath is modern enough: the HHR's Delta architecture, GM says, gives the wagon a splendidly strong structure that has the quietness and fortitude of a more expensive car.

Inside and out the HHR fuses the '49 Suburban's visage with the functionality that the Greatest Generation could only have dreamed of. The HHR's seating position is high and trendy, giving the commanding view of the road that SUVs have spoiled upon American drivers. Vaguely retro lines delineate the interior, with two-tone dash treatments and metallic-ringed instruments giving off a distinct whiff of PT Cruiser.

And like the PT Cruiser, the HHR's wagonback flexes and folds and generally makes itself available for most light duties-short of assembling a Craftsman house, it's hard to imagine a task the HHR's configurable cargo area couldn't tackle. Ransacking a Pier One after the holidays? The front passenger seat folds flat to swallow the whole wicker collection; the rear seats split 60/40 too, so a passenger or two still could ride in back. The load floor is flat, and it can be raised in part to create a two-tiered storage system. A pair of storage bins fits in the floor behind the rear seats, too.

Model upbringing

There will be two HHR wagons arriving for the 2006 model year. The LS and LT share the same body style and 174.5-inch wheelbase, as well as a cargo capacity of 63.1 cubic feet. What they don't share is powertrains. The LS spins out 140 horsepower through a 2.2-liter version of the GM corporate Ecotec four-cylinder, making 150 pound-feet of torque as well. The LT moves up to a 2.4-liter Ecotec four with 170 horsepower and 170 lb-ft of torque. The engines are both dual overhead-cammers with balance shafts and electronic throttle control for smoothness.

Five-speed manual sticks come with either model, and a four-speed automatic is optional. The manuals are Getrag units, with different final gearing for the two engine variants. The Hydra-Matic automatic is similarly tweaked for LS and LT models.

The suspension is pretty familiar to Cobalt readers and enthusers: the MacPherson strut front teams up with a semi-independent torsion-beam rear end, with a softer FE1 suspension setting outfitted with 16-inch wheels. The FE3 sport suspension gets the 17-inchers. Electric power steering is standard, but drum brakes are still shod on the rear wheels.

Chevrolet hasn't standardized much of the very latest safety gear. Dual front airbags are here, but anti-lock control and traction control are options, as are side-curtain airbags and OnStar telematics. No word yet on all-wheel drive.

Other equipment stocked on both models includes standard air conditioning, power locks and windows, an AM/FM/CD player, and remote keyless entry. XM Radio and upmarket audio systems are offered, as are a power sunroof, a larger gas tank, 16- and 17-inch wheels, and remote starting. The base LT model adds a power seat, while a jazzier 2LT package includes ABS, fog lamps, leather trim, 17-inch wheels, and a sport suspension.

Chevy clearly hopes that the gas hasn't run out of the retro-wagon market. And in case you didn't see the HHR as a tuner's playground, Chevy will show off a special version, commissioned by West Coast Customs, at the L.A. show alongside the production version (see the HHR scrapbook link above for all the HHR pictures).

Pricing hasn't been announced yet, but look for the HHR to hit the streets in the second half of 2005.

2006 Chevrolet HHR
Base price: $15,000 (est.)
Engine: 2.2-liter four-cylinder, 140 hp/150 lb-ft; 2.4-liter four-cylinder, 170 hp/170 lb-ft
Transmission: Five-speed manual or four-speed automatic, front-wheel drive
Length x width x height: 174.5 x 68.1 x 61.5 inches
Wheelbase: 103.1 inches
Curb weight: 2800 lb (est.)
Fuel economy (EPA city/hwy): N/A
Safety equipment: Dual front airbags
Major standard equipment: AM/FM/CD player; power door locks and windows; air conditioning; remote keyless entry
Warranty: Three years/36,000 miles
That price looks good. Remote start standard on automatics was a very smart move IMO. I bet the warranty gets bumped to 5yr/60,000 like the Cobalt and Aveo.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:35 AM

Re: HHR article from TCC more info

To be honest, this is the first MSRP from GM in a while that I said "Wow!" to , and it wasn't because I thought it was too high.

I think this is a great MSRP for this vehicle.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:43 AM

I can see why GM is holding back on OK'ing the Kappa-based Nomad since with the HHR looking as good as it does and being priced so low.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:47 AM

I don't understand why they would hold back the Supercharged engine.........
Old 01-03-2005, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Pandamonkey
I don't understand why they would hold back the Supercharged engine.........

Probably the same reason most manufacturers do similar things... to have something down the road to keep interest in the vehicle alive.

Not unlike Chrysler releasing the PT Turbo, the convertible, etc in the years following introduction...
Old 01-03-2005, 12:06 PM

The LS and LT share the same body style and 174.5-inch wheelbase,
Old 01-03-2005, 03:03 PM

Wow, they priced it right. I'm shocked, but this should sell like hotcakes at 15,000 MSRP. Places it right next to the Cobalt and very competitive to the PT.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
To be honest, this is the first MSRP from GM in a while that I said "Wow!" to , and it wasn't because I thought it was too high.

I think this is a great MSRP for this vehicle.
Yeah, but they may be a few years late... Hopefully I'm wrong, though...

TS
Old 01-03-2005, 03:58 PM

$15K? Holy crap. Maybe the Smart Pricing Fairy HAS visited GM this holiday season!

Good show!
Old 01-03-2005, 04:06 PM
Disciple

Price and weight are estimated.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:09 PM

west coast customs huh?
if my mind serves me correctly, that is the guys on pimp my ride right?
Old 01-03-2005, 05:41 PM

good price. if it wasnt so ugly I'd be encouraged that they will sell alot.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:44 PM

Exclamation Re: HHR article from TCC more info

$15,000!

Speaking of reverse sticker shock!