Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GTO's nose to be toned down...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 02:31 AM

Using it in the movie can definetly be good.

"It's an aspirational vehicle... one that draws young buyers into a showroom"

Yeah it will bring them in, and the price will drive them right back out, just the opposite of how it should be.
Old 11-21-2002, 02:56 AM

IZ28 - apparently you did not take the time to read my whole post, maybe you should try that next.
Old 11-21-2002, 05:39 AM

Yeah, but I put it differently.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by IZ28
Using it in the movie can definetly be good.

"It's an aspirational vehicle... one that draws young buyers into a showroom"

Yeah it will bring them in, and the price will drive them right back out, just the opposite of how it should be.
Actually the intention is to drive them into a Sunfire or Grand Am. Pretty much everyone and his brother at GM & Pontiac call GTO a "halo car". Also in that catagory is Corvette, Viper, & Cobra.

I said this along time ago, youth DO NOT walk into a showroom & drive out with a new performance car. Mustang GTs, Z28s, & Trans Ams have buyers who tend to be much older than the buyers of the base models. There are exceptions, but as the word indicates, these are exceptions.

As someone mentioned earlier, these are "aspirational vehicles". Sure, you'll probally see alot of them in the hands of youth some years into the future (Much like those really expensive Impala SSs & Monte Carlo SSs of the 80s......those things WERE NOT CHEAP when they were new either).

It's amazing how as time passes many myths take hold.

Last edited by guionM; 11-21-2002 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by guionM
I said this along time ago, youth DO NOT walk into a showroom & drive out with a new performance car. Mustang GTs, Z28s, & Trans Ams have buyers who tend to be much older than the buyers of the base models. There are exceptions, but as the word indicates, these are exceptions.
Not the way it should be since they are where the market really is and needs to be. That is where the sales are. Why try to take away some import sales?? Why try to make musclecars the absolute biggest thing for them to want and be able to buy??

Last edited by IZ28; 11-21-2002 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-21-2002, 06:06 PM

Putting the GTO in the next XXX is a good move. I cant tell you how many people here at U of Dayton have XXX posters with Vin and the GTO on their walls, and how many people like the GTO. The reason muscle cars moved out of the youth market is because they were not packaged right and imports were. Well this is the right way to package them to get them back into the market. Sure it may have the Burt Reynolds effect in 10 years, but live for the now, right?
Old 11-21-2002, 09:16 PM

[i]Originally posted by guionM

That's right. Their parents usually buy these types of cars for the 'youths'. The insurance is usually much cheaper that way.
Old 11-23-2002, 07:36 PM

(Much like those really expensive Impala SSs & Monte Carlo SSs of the 80s......those things WERE NOT CHEAP when they were new either).
There was no Impala SS in the 80s...the last was 1969, until the 1994-96 arrived.
Old 11-24-2002, 05:47 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Chuck!
Putting the GTO in the next XXX is a good move. I cant tell you how many people here at U of Dayton have XXX posters with Vin and the GTO on their walls, and how many people like the GTO. The reason muscle cars moved out of the youth market is because they were not packaged right and imports were. Well this is the right way to package them to get them back into the market. Sure it may have the Burt Reynolds effect in 10 years, but live for the now, right?
Product placements are a great idea, but the decline of the muscle car has little to do with their packaging. The fact remains that youth culture is centered around SUV vehicles and trucks. Is it any wonder that the Cadillac Escalade has become the accidental focus of the current "Hip Hop" scene? I seriously doubt that Cadillac intended to market this $50k+ vehicle to the "youth" market. I also doubt that the appearance of the Escalade in so many rap videos was the result of paid "product placement."

There is a very real muscle car market, but it belongs to an older, more affluent demographic. A new Camaro, much like the upcoming GTO, should be directed towards sales to multi-car households and empty nesters. After all, that's where the sports cars are currently being sold.

Anyway, I wish Vin Diesel and the GTO the best of luck, just like Tiger Woods and his Buick Redevous. Burt would be proud.
Old 11-24-2002, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by IMPALA64
There was no Impala SS in the 80s...the last was 1969, until the 1994-96 arrived.
It should have said Impala SS of the 90s & Monte Carlo SS of the 80s.

Darn proofread button's broke.