Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Good article on Toyota's secrative vehicle event recorders

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Melee Penguin
Not that I'm a Toyota cheer leader or anything, but I'm totally against Event Data Recorders in the first place.
There is room for either side in this I suppose.

As for me?

I'm OK with event recorders as they can vindicate in the process of indicating the actual facts.

Last edited by 1fastdog; 02-23-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by HuJass
I was against event recorders; but if they can be used to nail Toyota's *** to the wall, well, then bring 'em on!!
So you will change your mind on whether something is good or not based on whether it furthers your agenda? You should become a politician.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by 90 Z28SS
Not me , the event recorder in my SS proved I was not speeding and was decelerating and proved witnesses wrong . If u have nothing to hide an event recorder is really a non issue . If an accident is your fault , why is it wrong to know exacly what the situation was at the time of the accident ?
If I'm off on a completely empty back road in the middle of the day and I want to get on the throttle a little bit... I don't not want to be arrested or ticketed for it because my own car told on me. I'm glad neither of my cars have a little black box. It would do more harm than good for me.

Isn't there a way to remove the box without causing any other issues?
Old 02-24-2010, 07:58 PM

Now, in my generation, we've got mandatory tire-pressure monitors. (What people don't know how to check tire pressure?)
I find it interesting people (not a jab at you in particular Melee - but you do represent a fairly common attitude) fail to see the immediate value to the TPMS, they actively monitor tire pressure while the vehicle is in operation - I don't know of a single human being outside of a race venue that checks tire pressure after each time they drive, yet debris on the road can and does penetrate the tire while in operation sometimes leading to catastrophic and deadly failure. Not to mention the the effect it can have on saving resources over the life of the vehicle due to fuel effciency and just plain extending the life of a tire.

And while it adds expense to the vehicle, its an unobtrusive system that only activates once the tire is pretty much considered critically low.

However to extend the logic, why should manufacturers install anything other than a speedometer - does somebody operating a vehicle really need to know when the engine is losing oil pressure or going to overheat or isn't producing enough voltage? In the scheme of things, an engine going t!t$ up isn't nearly as dangerous as a tire blowing out.

Last edited by bossco; 02-24-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by 90 Z28SS
Not me , the event recorder in my SS proved I was not speeding and was decelerating and proved witnesses wrong . If u have nothing to hide an event recorder is really a non issue . If an accident is your fault , why is it wrong to know exacly what the situation was at the time of the accident ?
Thats great, the system worked to your advantage, but imagine in a scenario similar to what I had mentioned and you get pulled for something like a blown taillight and the officer DL's the EDR's stored info and then issues you additional tickets for speeding and not wearing your seatbelt when he wasn't even around.

Or even a linked system that transmits the data so taht it can be comapred againt local laws and citations are automatically issued without an officer present at anytime.

In Arizona, when a speed camera gets you, the fine is structured in such a way that it doesn't count against your liscence and you have no legal recourse but to pay the fine.

Granted, this is all far fetched, but I dont put anything out of the realm of possibility when the goverment is damn near bankrupt finacially.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by bkpliskin
Isn't there a way to remove the box without causing any other issues?
In GM cars it's tied into the airbag module, so there's no way to remove it. Best thing to do, if you're in an accident and it's possible, is to know where it is and remove it and take it with you.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
Thats great, the system worked to your advantage, but imagine in a scenario similar to what I had mentioned and you get pulled for something like a blown taillight and the officer DL's the EDR's stored info and then issues you additional tickets for speeding and not wearing your seatbelt when he wasn't even around.

fwiw , in my accident ... The police did need to obtain a search warrant to obtain the data recorder in my car . They law cannot just obtain that data without a search warrant granted by a judge ....and of course for that probable cause needs to exist . On a random stop , a police officer does not have any authority or means to read data from a event recorder .
Old 02-24-2010, 09:37 PM

It's not really a, "Big Brother" issue for me. It's just something that my step-dad and I finally see eye to eye about with cars.

He's damn near 60 and crotchety, and while he knows that it's unsafe he drives without wearing his seatbelt.

Reasoning? Oh, he thinks they're a great invention. Used them for quite sometime on previous vehicles. UNTIL the "Gubment" deemed them mandatory in his eyes it's more of an Eff-you sentiment.
That's like cutting a couple of roof joists off of your house because the government mandates safe building codes. Or like purposely shooting yourself in the foot if the government were to mandate trigger safeties.

Yea, let's put ourselves at risk! That'll show that pesky government!