Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GM trademarks Firebird and Fiero....

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 11:08 PM

Re: GM trademarks Firebird and Fiero....

The old Grand Am looked like it could compete with the STI and EVO. Obviously the engineering was not there.

I know people at GM would like to think that the Grand Am is a damaged name...however no one was singing praises of the Imprezza or Lacer untill the STI and EVO came out.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by 91Z28350
Ddin't Warren Johnson campaign a Grand Am in NHRA pro-stock before they moved to the GTO? (not really the same I know )
Yes, I have the sticker, handed to me from John Sawruk, ex-GM (Pontiac) employee...
Old 09-09-2006, 11:23 PM

BTW, speaking of Sawruk, he talked a little at the GTOAA Nationals in July in Louisville about Pontiac performance - how it wasn't always V8 and RWD. He went on to mention that one of his/his wife's favorite cars was a turbo Sunbird they had. He also said that the Saab 9-2 (a/k/a Saabaru) was originally destined to be a Pontiac, before it was moved to Saab (I can't remember what component he said was lifted right from the Vibe - steering wheel, maybe?). He also said he wouldn't talk about future products, but both turbos and AWD were very interesting concepts to him. I'm not sure if he was trying to start the Pontiac winky club or not, but I remember all of the questions on AWD on the GM FastLane blog a year ago, and wonder if this is something that's in Pontiac's (and maybe Holden's) future...
Old 09-10-2006, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox
He also said that the Saab 9-2 (a/k/a Saabaru) was originally destined to be a Pontiac, before it was moved to Saab (I can't remember what component he said was lifted right from the Vibe - steering wheel, maybe?). .
Now that would have been interesting.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:50 AM

I agree with formula79, I am open to any technoligical advances- but it has to be cool. A 4 cyl just doesn't fit the model of a Firebird. I think there are enough names they can use so that they do not disgrace the Firebird. I still think if they sell enough Camaro's they will bring back the Firebird.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by formula79
What if Firebird was coupe version of the small RWD sedan Pontiac wants. What if this whole program had it's development based in say...Austrailia, which badly wants Torana?

Just throwing things out. I do think you need more than Ecotech for the car to be succesful. If it was limited production, Fiero would be fine because their are tons of Fiero enthusiasts still around.

Lets not forget to some people Camaro brings up images of trailor parks mismatched hubcaps..and now it is obvious that it would be dumb not to revive the name. To bring Fiero back, GM would need to design a car that reminded everything of what was right about the old one.

I would say put Fiero on the Solstice Coupe, and save Firebird for a more "substansial" car.
Why put Fiero on a Solstice Coupe when that Coupe has a great name that is getting alot of recognition? Call the Solstice Coupe a Solstice Coupe.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I hear what you are saying.

But the goal here would be to create excitement and sell cars. So, if such a RWD, 2 door, 2+2, 300 hp, great handling, Pontiac coupe/hatchback were built - and the Firebird name were available for it - but it was instead called Sunbird.......well, that would just be dumb.
If that were the case, why not build it on the same platform as the camaro? Oh yeah, that whole competition with each other sort of thing. Unless there is alot of change, a 300hp 2+2 RWD car wont be built for the same reason a camaro based firebird will not be built.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Plague
Why put Fiero on a Solstice Coupe when that Coupe has a great name that is getting alot of recognition? Call the Solstice Coupe a Solstice Coupe.

If that were the case, why not build it on the same platform as the camaro? Oh yeah, that whole competition with each other sort of thing. Unless there is alot of change, a 300hp 2+2 RWD car wont be built for the same reason a camaro based firebird will not be built.
Thats what hes suggesting, something thats significantly different from Camaro.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Plague
Completely different car. Completely different platform. Completely different niche.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:56 AM

Completely different car. Completely different platform. Completely different niche.
Completely new name.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by 97z28/m6
Completely new name.
Then everyone would say: Why didn't they call it Firebird?
Old 09-10-2006, 11:41 AM

Then everyone would say: Why didn't they call it Firebird?
i don't think people will call a turbo 4 powered kappa 2+2 a firebird....unless it looks like one.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by 97z28/m6
i don't think people will call a turbo 4 powered kappa 2+2 a firebird....unless it looks like one.
What does one look like?
Old 09-10-2006, 11:51 AM

What does one look like?

A angry Camaro on Steriods.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by formula79
A angry Camaro on Steriods.
That's it?

Quick Reply: GM trademarks Firebird and Fiero....