Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GM extends employee discount program to Sept. 30

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 11:26 AM

Re: GM extends employee discount program to Sept. 30

Originally Posted by Buickman
Zero credibility, no concern for dealers or salespeople. Incomptency is bringing bankruptcy. GM is finished, wait and see the effects of foolish self-destruction.
??? What the hell? Its prefectly credible and very smart. More people are buying and they are seeing how good these vehicles are which raises their reputation. As for dealers and salespeople, most salespeople need to be knocked down a notch anyways. I sell Chrysler Jeep Dodge and this doesnt affect me at all, because I dont do that haggling greedy bull****.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Buickman
Zero credibility, no concern for dealers or salespeople. Incomptency is bringing bankruptcy. GM is finished, wait and see the effects of foolish self-destruction.
Buickman, why don't you just tell us how you REALLY feel. Don't be shy
Old 08-26-2005, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jason E
Buickman, why don't you just tell us how you REALLY feel. Don't be shy
No concern for dealers or salespeople! Yeah cuz they (dealers) have always been SOOOOOOOOOO good to GM customers, helping to continue their good name in the car business!
Old 08-26-2005, 08:58 PM

if GM is finished, you will see a hurt in the US economy greater than any other company going down the tubes. Be careful or what you wish for...
Old 08-26-2005, 11:28 PM

So, um, what happened to the Value Pricing Promise? Is the plan to shoot that in the head before it gains any traction? Why not just permanently cut the sticker price on the GMT800s? The employee-pricing promo may have been smart, but the real genius all along was going to be in executing a smooth transition.

When I saw a $48K sticker on a 2006 crew-cab Duramax 3500 SRW that the local dealer got in a couple of weeks ago, I knew that we'd be seeing discounts almost immediately (a similar '05 Cummins-equipped Ram 3500 DRW was still going for $35K down the road).

I don't think that this is GM's last step before bankruptcy or anything, but I also don't think that they've got an idea on how to keep their sales numbers up and their factories busy while still commanding a profitable price.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jason E
It is hurting GM at the bank. But what is more important? Profitability or inventory turnover? At this point, probably inventory turn is more important in order to get the '05s gone. But still...this is August. Typically, dealers have cars into NOVEMBER that people are still trying to gobble up.

I love the Employee Discount thing. It helped me sell quite a few cars. I love the one price idea as well, even though they can't (and won't) keep it forever. However, WHEN do you stop the continual discounting? WHEN do you sell your cars more on merit than price?

That is the question I cannot answer...nor can GM right now.

dont forget that GM is planning on having a very early 07 lineup for the GMT900... thats a small year, and I remember many months back (april or May) GM was making nearly all the truck plants work overtime for an expected large demand...
Old 08-27-2005, 01:53 AM

GM's "giving away of cars" is exceedingly good for the market right now.

the Salespeople is a good subject too... GM is teaching us by these discounts that there are people shopping GM that are not GM customers, and GM is forcing us, to go volume rather then Profit, and this is also forcing some of the lazier "i've been here for 20 years I only need 10 cars this month" kinda sales people to other non GM related stores... Right now many of my managers are really upset that we arent "selling" the cars we arent giving value to our vehicles, we arent telling the customers about onstar, we arent telling them how great the value of the vehicle is. GM's cars are market leading but no one really knows it, and thats what GM is trying to get the dealers to do. To give Value to their vehicles, and this will go right perfectly into the Value pricing, if its still in effect.