Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Are GM enthusiasts pushovers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 11:22 AM

Are GM enthusiasts pushovers?

I was thinking about the picture of what we all thought was a Buick Zeta mule. As it turns out, it appears that this car wasn't really a Zeta at all, but more probably, a W-car replacement for the Regal, which will be going to China for MY '06.

Fair enough....easy to get duped by a photo and a story.

What I find surprising though, is all of the "high fives" going on, at all of the GM sites, regarding this car's design. Camo or no camo........there is nothing special about the look of that cars design, proportions or interior. Certainly, not enough to drive home an advantage against the Lexus LS430, (which remember, is what we all thought it was supposed to be designed for).

Here's some samples of the responses from various GM site:

- "Sweet!"

- "WOW", that looks promising!"

- "The interior looks awesome!"

- "It'll fit an LS7".

I have a strong feeling that, if those pictures had been represented as the first spy pics of a mule on a "new" architecture for: DCX, Toyota, Nissan, Lexus, MB, etc....the response from their enthusiast sites would have been more like:

:blah:
rather than:

- "Sweet!"

- "WOW", that looks promising!"

- "The interior looks awesome!"

- "It'll fit an LS7".

Are GM enthusiasts actually helping GM justify mediocrity?

Last edited by Z284ever; 03-04-2005 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:28 AM

Re: Are GM enthusiasts pushovers?

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Are GM enthusiasts actually helping GM justify mediocrity?
Not this one.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:34 AM

Nor this one.

But, in answer to your question, everyone likes their own brand. I'm sure there are Chrysler guys who have convinced themselves they really, really like the Charger's styling.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by centric
Nor this one.

But, in answer to your question, everyone likes their own brand. I'm sure there are Chrysler guys who have convinced themselves they really, really like the Charger's styling.
Bingo.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:47 AM

Buick is the conservative brand from GM, I don't expect them to make any crazy designs. Leave that to Chevy, Pontiac, or Saturn. What I expect from Buick is something classy and not ugly. GM needs a crazy breakthough desinn that doesn't cost Caddy money. You won't get it from Buick.

The Buick Rainer will also fit an LS7

Last edited by Z28x; 03-04-2005 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:54 AM

People on the sites often praise anything from GM, but there are a select few like FOG (you know who he is Z) Camino, Guy, yourself, and myself who are not afraid to speak our minds and say it like it is.

When we do, we get pushed and shoved back from the same people that praise any and everything coming out of GM. I do believe that if GM took enthusiast sites more seriously they would be in a better position product wise than the one they are in now.

A perfect example is when I slammed the GTO for its looks and lack of physical appeal. I got an email from an employee that tore me a new @$$hole. I also got an email that praised it because it needed to be said.

Can't please everybody.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Josh452
People on the sites often praise anything from GM, but there are a select few like FOG (you know who he is Z) Camino, Guy, yourself, and myself who are not afraid to speak our minds and say it like it is.

When we do, we get pushed and shoved back from the same people that praise any and everything coming out of GM. I do believe that if GM took enthusiast sites more seriously they would be in a better position product wise than the one they are in now.

A perfect example is when I slammed the GTO for its looks and lack of physical appeal. I got an email from an employee that tore me a new @$$hole. I also got an email that praised it because it needed to be said.

Can't please everybody.
Congratulations.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:50 PM

Don't lump us all in that category...

I think you'll find the same mentality on MANY other non-GM boards...they are not immune to the fanboy syndrome.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:18 PM

Yeah, generally people like to be loyal to their own brands and that can be completely blind "ill take anything" loyalty. They can also just be excited that something they dont like is getting replaced with something nicer. I used to be like that, now im not afraid to speak what I feel about GM, and if i dont like something ill say it. My opinion may change but opinions do that some times.

about this car, i thought it had a nice interior
Old 03-04-2005, 02:40 PM

What others have said. There's a loyalty thing. We as a group are more accepting of our brands shortfalls than we are other brands and makes. But its not specific to the GM loyalists. All groups are guilty of this from the Ford guys to the BMW guys.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:43 PM

I have seen plenty of GM "enthusiasts " here who look at things objectively and based in reality. They want Gm to succeed very much yet also at the same time can see GM's mistakes when they happen.

The problem is there are also many GM "nuthuggers" here who see things through blinders, and would ride GM's nuts no matter how pitiful they perform
Old 03-04-2005, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by 2MCHPSI
The problem is there are also many GM "nuthuggers" here who see things through blinders, and would ride GM's nuts no matter how pitiful they perform
That's odd on a site called CamaroZ28.com, huh

Again...it is resident on EVERY board, not just those that are GM based.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:09 PM

That's odd on a site called CamaroZ28.com, huh
And our first nutthugger comes forward
Old 03-04-2005, 03:15 PM

I guess simple facts confuse your feeble mind. I apologize for you having to lead such a pathetic attempt at life.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:22 PM

A GM nuthugger that is now all getting upset over nothing?? Calm down there wonderboy.

Quick Reply: Are GM enthusiasts pushovers?