Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

G8 ST Dead

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
Note I mentioned if it sold in sufficient numbers, it would actually help GM's truck CAFE.

However, it's hard to imagine how much money you'd save on a vehicle already in production with parts already used on the assembly line.
If GM wants trucks that are more CAFE positive, they need to start pushing the V6s as the everyman's trucks and save the V8s for the highend/high content luxury trucks/suvs.

I'm still confused as to why GM went with the 5.3L V8 for the AFM-truck version and not the more efficient but almost as torquey 4.8L V8.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:23 PM

I'm not a fan of El Caminos. While I'm sure the vehicle has its utility, they have more of a "mullet" reputation than Camaros do ("Earl" anyone?)

I'm personally glad the G8 will not have to be associated with that sterotype.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
If GM wants trucks that are more CAFE positive, they need to start pushing the V6s as the everyman's trucks and save the V8s for the highend/high content luxury trucks/suvs.

I'm still confused as to why GM went with the 5.3L V8 for the AFM-truck version and not the more efficient but almost as torquey 4.8L V8.
The V6 gets almost exactly the same mileage as the V8.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by guionM

However, it's hard to imagine how much money you'd save on a vehicle already in production with parts already used on the assembly line.
No one ever said you had to have intuition to be in management
Old 01-06-2009, 08:15 PM

IMO it is a simple sales principle used in most any industry that pertains to 'the customer always being right.' Auto companies will go for the larger engine if that is what the customer wants because the companies want the most marketing leverage they can have over the competition. Even if it brings up the price of the vehicle with a tax, why should GM care if the customer is willing to pay for it? Afterall, what good is a fuel efficient truck if no one wants to by it?

I do not think the cafe standards will ever change peoples desire for fast, torquey and large vehicles but just make them more expensive to obtain.

Last edited by matLT1; 01-06-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:31 PM

Well...I think most of it is they did not want to spend the money to market another vehicle with such low marging. I mean in a company where you are conserving light bulbs..I am certain the cost of marketing a car, printing the brochures and literature, crash testing, press fleet, etc is what has killed it. Especialy in a time when anything cool with a V8 seems irresponsible given the money they just took from the government.

I think from the beginning the G8 should have been lauched all at once as a "line" of vehicles (sedan, coupe, wagon, and truck) under one name. Kinda like how you can get a 5 series in a bunch of flavors..each one though is a "5 series"..not treated as an individual model, Then all the launch costs would have happened at once, and you could shift the product mix to what was selling rather than have G8 sedans piled on lots.

Last edited by formula79; 01-06-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by formula79
Well...I think most of it is they did not want to spend the money to market another vehicle with such low marging. I mean in a company where you are conserving light bulbs..I am certain the cost of marketing a car, printing the brochures and literature, crash testing, press fleet, etc is what has killed it. Especialy in a time when anything cool with a V8 seems irresponsible given the money they just took from the government.

I think from the beginning the G8 should have been lauched all at once as a "line" of vehicles (sedan, coupe, wagon, and truck) under one name. Kinda like how you can get a 5 series in a bunch of flavors..each one though is a "5 series"..not treated as an individual model, Then all the launch costs would have happened at once, and you could product what people wanted instead of having G8 sedans piled on lots.

Again, too logical for GM.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:58 AM
West South Central Moderator

Originally Posted by graham
The V6 gets almost exactly the same mileage as the V8.
Maybe because the V6 hasn't been updated in over 10 years? It is the last remaining engine based on the original Small block Chevy V8. It is almost the same size as that engine

I'm wondering if the trucks will ever get a V6 based on the LSx or if one of the modern OHC V6s will be used?
Old 01-07-2009, 02:24 AM

That sucks I thought it was an interesting niche vehicle that only GM (Pontiac) would have had. My father was also giving it some thought as his Dakota has to be turned in later this year.
But these are trying times for GM and things will get worse once a Car Czar is assigned as non bread and butter vehicles will face some harsh scrutiny if taxpayer dollars are needed to keep GM open.

I agree with formula79 in that if Pontiac gets scaled down it should have had a full line of G8 coupe, sedan, wagon and ST. Keep the Solstice and call it a day.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:30 AM

What are the chances of a Chevy El Camino?
Old 01-07-2009, 07:01 AM

Given our $AUD is around 0.65 US, I'm very, very disappointed with GM's decision... but not totally surprised given what could have been with the RWD architecture they happen to own... but won't utilize.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:15 AM
Banned

Is this really a shock to anybody here? Considering all the things that have been slashed because they weren't projected to sell enough units, I wasn't too hopeful of the G8 ST ever getting off the ground and being sold here.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by ImportedRoomate
...and the steering wheel moved to the other side...
That has already been done for years too.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:09 AM

It would be almost as easy to rebadge as a Chevy since the Holdens are sold in the middle east as Chevies.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by formula79
I think from the beginning the G8 should have been lauched all at once as a "line" of vehicles (sedan, coupe, wagon, and truck) under one name. Kinda like how you can get a 5 series in a bunch of flavors..each one though is a "5 series"..not treated as an individual model, Then all the launch costs would have happened at once, and you could shift the product mix to what was selling rather than have G8 sedans piled on lots.
I agree that the G8 might be doing better right now if there was a coupe & wagon. Not so much the trucklet. I think modeling the product line after BWM is a great idea. But, w/o proper advertising I'm afraid the G8 might do a GTO & be gone in a few years.

Quick Reply: G8 ST Dead