Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

G8 coupe slip-up..

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 10:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by teal98
I believe you're over-thinking this.

Firehawk is the name for the SLP version of a sporty Pontiac, and that's it.
How many Firehawks have there been other than the Firebirds?
Old 09-23-2008, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by shock6906
A Superhero, a rollercoaster, a helicoper, a 1993 movie, a tire and a computer game. But from SLP, none that I know of
Old 09-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
A Superhero, a rollercoaster, a helicoper, a 1993 movie, a tire and a computer game. But from SLP, none that I know of
Well I was just talking about from SLP. But my point is the Firehawk, for its entire life-span, has *only* been a Firebird. If the name had been previously used on a different model then it might not be such a big deal, but Firehawk has never been anything other than an SLP modified Firebird. Calling the G8 a Firehawk just makes no sense to me, and the argument that "Firehawk is a modified Hi-Po Pontiac" just doesn't hold water with me. If that was the case, then the Grand Prixs that SLP modified would have been called Firehawk, but they weren't.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:23 AM

I'm not wild about it

I think the general population hears "Pontiac" and "firehawk" they automatically think of a Firebird with a big bird across the hood.

How about
Pontiac G8 T/A? (not Trans Am)
G8 X?
G8 GXP W? (like wide Track and WS options?)

Volvo uses R
MB uses AMG
BMW uses M
Cadillac uses V

Chevrolet uses SS

Pontiac needs to create a brand identity for their performance sedan.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:23 AM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Jason E
I sadly wasn't able to go to the Summit (missed seeing guys like Charlie, Joe and Doug ) due to financial constraints, having bought my new house back in June. It killed me to cancel my registration Anyway, I would've wanted to smack Dave Hamburger upside the head, and ask him what the hell he was thinking, if I was handed that card. I sold 10 Firehawks in 2002. These were special cars, sold to die-hard enthusiasts. They were performance SPORTS CARS. Not 4 door sedans.

SLP has lost it...seriously. This honestly lessens the respect I have for the company. I've always been a die-hard SLP fan. The only aftermarket parts on my Z28 are all SLP. I've always respected the quality of their products, and the conviction with which they helped shape the 4th gen years. Were it not for them cancelling virtually EVERY decent third and 4th gen part they had in their catalog over the years, I'd still be buying their stuff for my RS resurrection.

But this is an embarrassment. If I was Dave Hamburger, I'd be ashamed. They were so controlling over the collectability of the old Firehawk, it was impossible to even get a hood unless you had a damaged hood to send back. Now? Throwing Firehawk logos on a 4 door, 4,100 lb sedan? I love the G8...

But this is downright embarrassing. Re-do a Camaro. Re-do a G8, and call it something else. But this? I can see the auto mags now, ragging on the name, but loving the car...
+1
Old 09-23-2008, 11:59 AM

It's as queer as a Cobalt Z28.

IMHO, Pontiac needs to come up with a new name, or perhaps follow the other big brands with a letter or number designation. Or screw the "G" series entirely, the letter alone makes me think "bling bling" --and not in a good way.

I think it's funny when people put wheels of other model cars on their own cars (like Z06 wheels on a Z28). Essentially, Pontiac is doing the same thing with branding. It might look/sound good, but it kind of belongs to, and looks better on, a different car.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 97QuasarBlue3.8
(like Z06 wheels on a Z28)
*looks at sig*
Old 09-23-2008, 03:42 PM

As an aside, I believe this means that we might as well give up on the Firebird returning anytime soon, as SLP would surely save the name for that.

So maybe this means that even though Pontiac is willing to let a storied name die, SLP isn't, so they're putting it on a corporate cousin of the Camaro, since there is no corporate brother.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
Your underthinking this.
No. I spent way too much time on my apparently unconvincing reply
Old 09-23-2008, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by teal98
As an aside, I believe this means that we might as well give up on the Firebird returning anytime soon
I was under the impression this was a dead issue years ago. Not that I am happy about it, but have accepted reality.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:14 PM

*looks at sig*
You know my opinions aren't always popular, but I voice them anyway.

FWIW, your Z looks good, but I see it and think--"hey, those wheels didn't come on that car...those are...Z06 wheels!"

Kind of like if I ever see a G8 Firehawk, I'm going to think..."damn, I wish they would have brought back the T/A, because the 'Firehawk' was a really hot car when I was growing up."

GM especially has a way of bastardizing names, so this isn't anything new. Who would have ever thought "SS" would have ended up on a front-drive 4cyl car? Or a V6/auto Impala? ...Or that the Malibu came back as a front-drive family hauler/rental car?
Old 09-23-2008, 08:21 PM

Couple of things here:

First, don't confuse GM with SLP - Pontiac has nothing to do with this car or the name beyond supplying the base car. This is SLP's baby alone.

Second, I have owned two one of a kind Firehawks and I'm fine with the name going on the G8. Not so much on the V6 cars though.

And lastly, here is my post from the Firehawk board. :

Potentially, this could yield the most perfect ride for me ever built.

Provided that it is available on the upcoming G8 ST as well.

2-doors, a supercharger, and a Firehawk badge on my default bodystyle.

It would be heaven for me.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:56 PM

I dont think its that serious. When it was announced at teh CZ28 summit, I knew it was going to turn into yet another GTO debate.
G8 ST Firehawk would be bad ***...
Old 09-24-2008, 02:36 AM

Looks like a great car...but I think putting that name on it will make more people angry than happy. I would hate to be a guy that pulls up at a SLP track day with his G8 Firehawk...
Old 09-24-2008, 07:33 AM

What type of supercharger are they planning on using? A roots type or a centrifigul? Sounds pretty good, however I agree with 99% on here it should be called something else.

Quick Reply: G8 coupe slip-up..