Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Future cars odds & ends

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2002, 09:26 PM

Future cars odds & ends

Just wanted to post a few odds & ends I picked up, and put them on one thread here. Some of you may have already heard of some of these, but I just wanted to put it in one place.

Most all are from people I know or feel are credible:

* The 400+ hp GTO of 2005 will be the 6.0 V8, not the 5.7.
* The next Corvette will also have a 6.0 V8 (and likely a 7.0 as well). Seems the 5.7 doesn't have much of a future.
* The SS concept is based on the upcomming GM "world" RWD chassis that's set to debut on Holden's redone RWD line in 2 years.
* The reason that the next DeVille will be FWD instead of RWD is primarily because there isn't enough capacity at Cadillac's plant, and not so much alienating the current model's base. The version after that just may be.
* Not only will the GTO debut here in LA's show, but so will Dodge's Charger Intrepid concept and some new high powered AWD Mitsubishi Lancer.
* If Holden imported the UTE to the US, it would be subject to a US 25% tarriff on imported trucks, and that's what has kept the UTE out so far (all development work to import the UTE as an El Camino has been, to a large extent, already done (from GTO).
* Ford of Australia simply doesn't have the capacity to produce enough Falcons to export any to the US, even if it wanted to (Holden's is far bigger, and is agressively looking to expand into new markets) & Ford (US) isn't eager to spend the money to expand Australia's facilities.
* Monte Carlo's future isn't certain, and may be replaced by a different model & nameplate (Chevelle?) when redesigned as RWD. Chevy will definately have a version of GTO "eventially".
* XLR is getting a supercharger the year the C6 comes out.
* According to those who've seen it, Vince Burlap's rendition of the STS is actually very close to the real car (for once).
* The new Mustang will be over a hundred pounds heavier than the current edition, but the Cobra will be close to the same weight as it is now.
* Ford will have at least 9 concepts this winter on the show circuit.
* Every GM division will have at least two production aimed concept cars this season (except, of course, Oldsmobile).
* Chrysler's New Yorker will look almost identical to the concept car displayed in it's current ads (same one on the autoshow circuit a couple of years ago).
* Ford's Ranger won't be restyled till at least the 2nd half of the decade (the F150 would have gone through 2 redesigns in the current Ranger's lifetime).
* Ford's GT will be "substantially faster" than Dodge's Viper, and is targeted to be brought out in time for the Indy 500.
* Audi has an A4 coupe comming within a year.

Think that about covers it for now.

Last edited by guionM; 12-07-2002 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-07-2002, 11:43 PM

Question

If Chevy uses the Monaro as a base to make a new Chevelle, and that replaces the Monte Carlo, do you think this SS concept will become the new rwd Impala?
Old 12-08-2002, 10:21 AM

Bring back the B-Body.
Old 12-08-2002, 10:51 AM

Looking good.
Old 12-08-2002, 11:21 AM

Now I'm really stuck...I don't know if I want a 2004 GTO so I can be the first one in town w/ one and turn all heads or wait till 2005 to get that GTO which will be hellaciously faster and still turn heads but won't have the first one in town...hmmm....
Old 12-08-2002, 11:31 AM
Prominent Member

Personally.....

Originally posted by Meccadeth
Now I'm really stuck...I don't know if I want a 2004 GTO so I can be the first one in town w/ one and turn all heads or wait till 2005 to get that GTO which will be hellaciously faster and still turn heads but won't have the first one in town...hmmm....
.....I'd wait for the horsepower!! Of course I'm an HP addict...

The GTO won't have some of the "teething pains" as witnessed by the new 350Z owners.....due to it's Monaro heritage (although I see some Aussies listing some problems) ...but you gotta' believe that the value of the '04's will tank when they add that much more horsepower.
Old 12-08-2002, 11:40 AM

They'll get attention alright, they'll say "theres the new Grand Am/Prix." Hopefully not, we'll see at the show. Buy 1 in 04 and trade in it for an 05 the next year. I think I heard something about them getting a hood scoop or a little revised look the year after along with the power increase??
Old 12-08-2002, 11:42 AM

Chevy will definately have a version of GTO "eventially".
Gotta be a Camaro, right? Or maybe the Monte Carlo?
Old 12-08-2002, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by IZ28
They'll get attention alright, they'll say "theres the new Grand Am/Prix." Hopefully not, we'll see at the show. Buy 1 in 04 and trade in it for an 05 the next year. I think I heard something about thm getting a hood scoop or a little revised look in 05 along with the power increase??
But wouldnt the '05s go up a lot in price too? And like Doug said, the 2004's value will fall dramaticly 'probably' w/ the power increase the next year...so with the trade in I'll probably take a big loss.

And I desperately hope the new GTO doesn't remind people of a Grand am/Prix. If it does I won't even think about the '04.
Old 12-08-2002, 11:59 AM

Then it'll be better to just see what happens in 04.

Gotta be a Camaro, right?

More like Chevelle maybe. A Chevrolet "GTO" isn't a Camaro.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:31 PM

More like Chevelle maybe. A Chevrolet "GTO" isn't a Camaro.
Exactly. A smaller, lighter car would make more sense as a Camaro. And this Chevy version of the GTO, to me anyways, should be the more stripped down, affordable car--in the same vein that the Trans Am came with more standard equipment than a Z28, and this should likely be done at the sake of not offering as high an output engine as the GTO. I'd like to see more differences in the cars than skin. Let the Pontiac have bragging rights between the two, and Chevy maintain the Corvette as overall champ.

Originally posted by guionM
* If Holden imported the UTE to the US, it would be subject to a US 25% tarriff on imported trucks...
Wait, now who's to say it isn't a car??
Old 12-08-2002, 12:40 PM

They'll get attention alright, they'll say "theres the new Grand Am/Prix." Hopefully not, we'll see at the show. Buy 1 in 04 and trade in it for an 05 the next year. I think I heard something about them getting a hood scoop or a little revised look the year after along with the power increase??
Almost forgot, there will be "some" changes to the 2005 GTO's exterior, so scoops or spoilers are what I'm guessing.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:52 PM

Almost forgot, there will be "some" changes to the 2005 GTO's exterior, so scoops or spoilers are what I'm guessing.
Well thanks for not forgetting
I know that you know the answer to this...are they good changes?
Old 12-08-2002, 12:54 PM

Re: Future cars odds & ends

* The next Corvette will also have a 6.0 V8 (and likely a 7.0 as well).
7.0?
Old 12-08-2002, 02:53 PM

it A4 isn't gonna be as round, more like a block

Quick Reply: Future cars odds & ends