Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Fiero...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 08:45 PM

Fiero...

I remember not too long ago, there was discussion on a new Fiero on Cheers and Gears. They had a drawing competition and photoshops and what not. Just wondering if one would ever come back out? Or were they just doing that for fun? I haven't heard anything about them since then. I remember one photoshop being absolutely gorgeous, that's what really kept this question in mind.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:47 PM

Re: Fiero...

One word: Solstice
Old 07-20-2006, 08:50 PM

I'd say they're pretty different cars. Their goal in the Pontiac lineup may be the same though.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:10 PM

I just don't see the need for a Fiero in the lineup if the Solstice is still there.

Personally, I think the Solstice is a better car to have in that position anyway.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:07 PM

IIRC I remember reading that Pontiac actually tossed around calling the Solstice the "new Fiero", but rejected the idea due to Fiero's quality issues giving the car a bad name. Personally I would have loved it to be called Fiero, but I understand the decision to dump the name and call it Solstice instead.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:16 PM

The Solstice is also not mid-engine, which would make it kind of a knockoff. Like if there was a FWD Camaro, ewww.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mikes25thAnnTA
IIRC I remember reading that Pontiac actually tossed around calling the Solstice the "new Fiero", but rejected the idea due to Fiero's quality issues giving the car a bad name. Personally I would have loved it to be called Fiero, but I understand the decision to dump the name and call it Solstice instead.
I would have liked that too, but then again I have a soft spot for Fieros having owned two of them. On the whole it's probably better to let the name rest in peace.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by tls2000
I just don't see the need for a Fiero in the lineup if the Solstice is still there.

Personally, I think the Solstice is a better car to have in that position anyway.
I can see where you are coming from, but Fiero does not = Solstice. Mid engine was something that gave the Fiero an exotic like quality in the 80s, and after the MR2 was discontinued you are hard pressed to find a midengine car for a reasonable price. I think the Boxster is the cheapest on the market, and it is by no means cheap.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:15 AM

That's the thing. Most car buyers don't go out looking for a car because it's mid-engined. They go out looking for the "cool" factor when it comes to cars in the same market as the Fiero and Solstice.

The Solstice fills the shoes of the Fiero quite decently, in that regard. It definately has the cool factor, and it performs fairly well for what it is supposed to be.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:10 AM

I wounder if the name fiero was derived from the french word meaning proud.. it sure sounds like it.

Kind of like how camaro was the beginning of comrade in french but with an "o" added in the end.

It would be funny if they did the same thing but with the english word.

Camaro would of been comrado
fiero would of been proudo
Old 07-21-2006, 08:25 AM

The Fiero name should stay dead.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:13 AM

The already have a two seater car liek that, no way a Fiero would be made with the Solstice.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by 2000SilverLS1
I remember not too long ago, there was discussion on a new Fiero on Cheers and Gears. They had a drawing competition and photoshops and what not. Just wondering if one would ever come back out? Or were they just doing that for fun? I haven't heard anything about them since then. I remember one photoshop being absolutely gorgeous, that's what really kept this question in mind.
They were doing that just for fun.

Also, just because some has good computer photoshopping skills, doesn't mean that some automaker is going to adopt that. There isn't a single internet photoshopped car that's ever influenced any design because by their very nature they're unoriginal, cobbled together, and an automaker spending millions per year on an experienced, creative, and talented design staff isn't about to risk the legal issues or the pay demended from someone just messing around on a computer.

As for Fiero coming back, Solstice is the new Fiero. Comparing the RWD front engine Solstice and the RWD mid engine Fiero to a FWD Camaro is off base. Although a mid engine sports car would be nice (I once considered and test drove a Fiero before I bought my 85 Mustang, so by no means am I slamming the car), Solstice is far more practical. It has a real trunk, it's a convertible (big deal in todays sports cars), it's based on a chassis and components that could be expanded to create other cars, and the investment to make Solstice is relatively low (compared to the machinary needed to make another Fiero).

In another 24 years (that's how long it's been since Fiero came out) there will be no doubt be people wanting another Solstice..... while ignoring something better that Pontiac might have out (assuming it Solstice doesn't last forever and become an automotive icon like Miata).

Everything looks better in hindsight, but Solstice is in almost every way better than Fiero.

Last edited by guionM; 07-21-2006 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
... Solstice is far more practical. It has a real trunk...
Nope, Fiero was a more practical car in terms of space utilization. The rear trunk was much bigger, it had a small bonus front trunk including a spare tire, and there was more room for taller people inside. Of course we're comparing apples to oranges here since Fiero didn't have to deal with a convertible top, and being mid engined could put its (admittedly tiny) fuel tank down the 'driveline' hump. You could use a Fiero for a weekend getaway car for two people, but not so a Solstice.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
(assuming it Solstice doesn't last forever and become an automotive icon like Miata).
soon as it came out that was my hope. They got the styling and the format down all they need is a better drive train. Then again Miata doesnt even intrest me to even look if the base is comparable. Solstice is slick where as Miata is something I would not want to be seen in.