Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

the factory freaks of the 4th gen..bird and Camaro car parts mix?? possible??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2002, 04:23 PM

Cool the factory freaks of the 4th gen..bird and Camaro car parts mix?? possible??

just posting here if anyone that is in the know if factory oddities are rolling out..like RS Camaros with LS-1's or birds with LS-1 and no badging and maybee Camaros with Firebird seats or visa versa..or diffrent interiors and stuff..door panels. consols..stuff like that..just would like to see what if any know factory freaks or oddities might be seen, I have seen 2 2002 Camaros with Firebird twisties on a lot
and heard about 2 LS6 Camaros that were caught before purchasing...hmmmm just wondering if anyone in the trenches know if they might "sneak" some parts into another car thats not supposed to be there

------------------
thanks
David Morgan
the "Over Drive Gang"
94 Z28 A4, K/N FIPK!,AIT Relocator,TB bypass,99 SS MAF Airfoil,HPP+, Shiftkit,Cutout, Flowmaster 80 series American Thunder Exhaust with 3" Chrome tips GMS Strut Tower Brace, GMS Sub Frame Connectors AND 93-96 GM Export Tail Lights! GTS Headlight Covers and Tail covers.

http://overdrive-gang.tripod.com

Check it out !! you might know some of the cars, or my friends.and a few of their rides frequent the pages of muscle car mags

Congrats Tony L. of the "ODG" Owner of The BBC 6SP 81 Malibu

Making Hot Rod Mags top 10 cars of 2001!!
Old 07-23-2002, 04:39 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Caps94ZODG:

and heard about 2 LS6 Camaros that were caught before purchasing
</font>
Why would LS6 engines be laying around in St. Therese when the only car they are supposed to be used in, the Z06 Vette, is produced in Bowling Green? That'd have to be one heck of a mix up!

------------------
Mark

94 Z28, Red, A4, 3:23
Lone Mods--LPE CAI, !Lapeer Dragway.
(Hey, I'm a college boy I can't afford gobs of bolt-ons!)

Best time: 14.658 @ 95.1
with SES light on and Driver off! (First and only time at track)

The F-body will NEVER die.
Old 07-23-2002, 04:57 PM

well from what I heard they "badged" the engines with the bar code stickers at the plant where they are made as LS-1's and guess some employes were trying to do this to get something out there that wasnt a possibility..to the F Body plant..but were caught when one was scanned and the bar codes didnt match up. so thats how I guess the LS6 power got to the cars..one was made..and one was on the assembly line..could of been tracked and told where it went and then bought with the LS6 engine I guess..
it happened back in the 60's with some muscle cars with rare engines.or family cars with muscle car engines.

------------------
thanks
David Morgan
the "Over Drive Gang"
94 Z28 A4, K/N FIPK!,AIT Relocator,TB bypass,99 SS MAF Airfoil,HPP+, Shiftkit,Cutout, Flowmaster 80 series American Thunder Exhaust with 3" Chrome tips GMS Strut Tower Brace, GMS Sub Frame Connectors AND 93-96 GM Export Tail Lights! GTS Headlight Covers and Tail covers.

Check it out !! you might know some of the cars, or my friends.and a few of their rides frequent the pages of muscle car mags

Old 07-23-2002, 07:28 PM

Exclamation

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Caps94ZODG:
well from what I heard they "badged" the engines with the bar code stickers at the plant where they are made as LS-1's and guess some employes were trying to do this to get something out there that wasnt a possibility..to the F Body plant..but were caught when one was scanned and the bar codes didnt match up. so thats how I guess the LS6 power got to the cars..one was made..and one was on the assembly line..could of been tracked and told where it went and then bought with the LS6 engine I guess..
it happened back in the 60's with some muscle cars with rare engines.or family cars with muscle car engines.

</font>
Zero credibility in that story.

"Employees" just for the fun of it changed the bar code sticker on an LS6, yet were caught when that same sticker didn't match up (to what?)? Everything at Ste Therese was "just in time", so the idea of an LS6 "just laying around" is laughable.

Also, comparing the way the auto industry (especially the plants) is run today compared to almost 40 years ago is also laughable. Even so, if anything was "snuck" out of the factory, it was with either by the order or approval of someone in the position to give it.

Otherwise, classify it as internet "urban legend".
Old 07-23-2002, 09:33 PM

What about the "urban legend" reported by GMHTP the year before Z06 was released.

According to the story....somehow, some way...a number of LS6's were mistakenly (ooops) put in white '00 Corvette coupes and sold to the public.

One of these "white" cars purportedly showed up at a New Jersey drag strip and aroused suspicion with it's high 12 sec. time slips.
Old 07-24-2002, 07:29 AM

The possibility of the Corvette getting a LS6 is much more plausable than a F-body since the LS6 never goes to St. Therese. But in Bowling Green LS6's now account for 30% of all C5's sold, Z06. SO the possibilty is there but highly unlikely that "Joe A Customer" would end up with a LS6 in a regular C5. If the GMHTP legend is true then those were test cars that were seen.

------------------
2002 Z28 white/neutral A4 3.23
13.33 @ 104.7 - 650 miles
286rwhp/311rwtq - 1300 miles
STOCK for now!
Gone but not forgotten,
1999 Silver SS 6M #3956
1997 Black Z28 A4 3.23
------------------
Ryan S.
Old 07-24-2002, 11:00 PM

Wink

are the LS1 and 6 made in the same plant?? if so then case closed on "rebadging" the engine to say its a LS1 engine and shipping it to a Camaro body..could happen..but urban legend..well it was posted on here as 2 cars were built with LS6 engines.. but were caught! hmmm ohh well..legends dont die they just get bigger!

------------------
thanks
David Morgan
the "Over Drive Gang"

Old 07-25-2002, 03:40 PM

Both the LS1 and the LS6 are built at the St. Catherines, Ontario plant.

I don't know how many factory freaks there are nowadays, but my dad has been a car salesman since 1969 and he used to tell stories about how in the dark, dark days of the mid 70s when U.S. quality was at its worst they used to get Skylarks with Nova steering wheels and door panels, LeSabres with Oldsmobile wheelcovers. That kind of stuff.
Old 07-26-2002, 07:37 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Eric77TA:
Both the LS1 and the LS6 are built at the St. Catherines, Ontario plant.

I don't know how many factory freaks there are nowadays, but my dad has been a car salesman since 1969 and he used to tell stories about how in the dark, dark days of the mid 70s when U.S. quality was at its worst they used to get Skylarks with Nova steering wheels and door panels, LeSabres with Oldsmobile wheelcovers. That kind of stuff.
</font>

Isn' tthat stuff AMAZING that it could get assembled and out of the plant that way?

I remember at my local Chevy lot back in 1991... there was a Z28, with RS badges all around the car...

Old 07-26-2002, 03:36 PM

Talking

well if they are made in Canada here would be the situation..someone in the engine plant putting together LS6 engines get together with a friend that ships engines to the FBody plant and says hey lets get some LS1 bar codes on an LS6 engine and sneak it out to the Fbody plant. with the shipment of regular LS1's for that month..simple to do..if you look under the hood of our cars you can see alot of bar codes IM assuming they are there to scan and make sure that the right parts are going to the right engine..well he put LS1 parts stickers on most of the LS6 engine and "officially" its an LS1 in the computers mind destination...FBody plant..not hard to do if a few people can do it..and track that engine to what car it goes to and where its going and buy it..think about it as okay the person scanning the engines to make sure isnt going to look at anything but the code..and if they all match it get shipped..and off to where its supposed to..I suppose you could have tried to ship it to any GM product that had LS1 power to get away with it...I know there are tight control issues on parts and destination but if enough people or high enough people get together things sometime happen

only we can wish..and the LS6 Corvette thing at the dragway..yea I remeber..that was a story but it had LS6 badges on it???? where?? was it a prototype that got shipped?? hmmm...if so thats a screw up big time GM did and didnt catch till it was too late...should ask the resident GMHTP guy if it was true..

------------------
thanks
David Morgan
the "Over Drive Gang"