Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

what Do we want our new camaro to look like?

Old 07-18-2002, 09:32 PM

Post what Do we want our new camaro to look like?

Something different. What features would we want on our 5th gen. I would like a small amount of retro but not base the car on that. Like the idea of rear brake ducts, kinda like the Ferraris. I think that a little smaller body that bulged out at the wheels would be cool also. Wadda Ya'll think?
Old 07-18-2002, 10:02 PM

the feature i want most is it to kick the mustangs a$$ lol ,,a little retro would be nice,dont get me wrong the 4th gen is pretty aggressive but i would like it to be more aggressive looking like the 70 split bumper that was pretty sweet imo

------------------
97 Z28 t top a4 kenwood cd, alpine super tweeters 2 pair 6 1/2component speakers 4" alpines,v 12 alpine amp,jl 2 rockford xlc 12" sub,jl 500/1 amp,sticky tires,slp cai,160 stat,slp manual fan switch,tb bypass and air foil,hotchkis stb,jet chip stage 2 (removed do to powerloss )module ,flow master exhaust,cross drilled rotors,and auto optics headlight conversion 342's comeing soon.
Old 07-19-2002, 08:36 AM
Disciple

I hope they do like Apple has done with the iMac ... twice.

Start with a clean slate, define "must have" features ... then be creative and come up with a package that no one on the outside could have dreamed up.

Red Planet has defined the "must have" component to my satisfaction
Old 07-19-2002, 12:42 PM

I'm more concerned about size, proportions and stance. Those are the "hard points" that they've got to get right!

I trust GM design to do a good job on fascias and details now that Lutz has given them a freer hand.
Old 07-19-2002, 04:05 PM

Cues from all Gens (especially Third, and maybe leave out the 4th ) but new looks and designs also. A smaller car between the dimensions of the 1st and Third Gens or even smaller. Nice rims that every1 will like (like IROC rims) and the car should be an attention getter with a great sound stock and bring things back like stock cowl hood, stripes, tips, maybe functional louvers, engine ci/Liter emblems, (like 350 or 5.7) or engine name/code emblems, (like L98 and LS1) on the car somewhere, distinctivness that can't be confused with any other cars around and it has to have some of the best overall looks around. Oh yeah, it has to be faster than any M*****g then also.
Old 07-19-2002, 04:36 PM

I'd be happy if they resisted the temtation to stuff it full of every convenience on the planet. That was the only thing that gave me pause on the Monaro. It looks sporty, it is fast, but it's equipted like you'd expect a Cadillac to be.
Old 07-25-2002, 08:36 PM

I'd like to see something the size of 4th GEN Camaros but with a body slightly similar to the Corvette with it's swooping styles around the front of the car. The LS1 Camaros almost had that. I just don't want those Corvette back ends with the huge rear.

I want something designed which could take on body kits better. Mustangs kick Camaro any day for the quality and design of aftermarket body kits. The Camaros body just doesn't support any attachable kits,spoilers,ground effects, etc.

I DO NOT WANT SOMETHING WHICH LOOKS LIKE A LUXORY SEDAN! I WANT SOMETHING SPORTY LOOKING!
Old 07-26-2002, 01:56 AM

Sorry to rip these from Teds site (http://www.5thgencamaro.com/), but hes the only one I know with a repository of this stuff...

My idea of a 5th gen...

http://www.5thgencamaro.com/othersconcepts/o8.htm
http://www.5thgencamaro.com/othersconcepts/o7.htm
http://www.5thgencamaro.com/othersconcepts/o1.htm

The first two. Wow. Great stuff, heratige, but not retro. The basic body lines are VERY current, echoing both 1st Gen Camaros, and IMO, Supras.
The 3rd picture gives an Idea of what I agree with for scale. The current car is TOO DAMN BIG. It just doesnt fit well into any current market segment. Mustang has the size down pretty well. Also, more conventional seating, which means a slightly taller chassis. No more of this Get-in-and-lay-down stuff. basically, shorten the length, make it taller, and condense the passenger compartment, at the same time, moving it back towards the rear wheels slightly from the current cars.
Another current trend in design that I like: Put the wheels as far towards the corners as you can. Minimal overhang.
And How about some real bumpers for a change, instead of plastic? A thin chrome spear bumper on the rear, and one on the front. (I wont hold my breath for a split bumper)

Heratige cues are a must, this is what sets Mustang apart from Eclipse and Celica. I mean, its not like a Mustang is any faster...

As much as I hate to admit it, Mustang has the formula. Take it from them, and make it your own GM...Like you did in '66.

Old 07-26-2002, 03:40 PM
cmc

It's gotta be smaller. I would give up some of the low-seating position/low roofline (no more than two or three inches taller, though) to get a shorter overall car, wheels at the corners, muscular styling cues (smooth fender flares, etc.). It's got to have tigheter construction. It's got to have a simpler dash made of a less rough material. Hatchback is a must. Wide wheels out back are a must. A more colorful car with more appealing colors. Must come in at least the following colors:

- Bright red/torch red
- Metallic true blue (think Skyline blue)
- Deep black

Must come with bigger bolstered seats and more interior colors. Grey, black, tan, red (NOT BURGUNDY!)...

Little touches of chrome. Chrome Z/28 badge, thin chrome gauge bezels. Smallest things matter. Crystal, clear headlight lenses, and crystal-clear tail lights (think like Olds Alero).

Gotta have IRS, and SLA front suspension. I'd prefer to have the volume cars actually come with a higher-tech V6 that people would aspire to own. Much more aggressive exhaust note than today's car.