Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Does G8 = Death of the Grand Prix?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 08:04 AM

Does G8 = Death of the Grand Prix?

Not sure of anyone has thought of this yet but the birth of the "G8" will mean the death of the Grand Prix, a model that has been in constant production since 1962 (that's before the Camaro in case your not paying attention). Has anyone noticed any outcry over this or is the G8 being seen as the continuation of the Grand Prix even though the name is dead?
Old 01-17-2007, 08:28 AM

The current Grand Prix dies this fall, because Oshawa is being shut down and rebuilt as a flex plant to build the Zeta series of RWD cars. For all intents and purposes, the G8 will hold the Grand Prix's place until the new Zeta-based Pontiac sedan is being built in North America (assuming there is one -- there seems to be some dispute on that point despite recent newspaper reports).

If I remember right, the "Grand Prix" name is tied to the Oshawa plant by union agreements. If that's true, then they CAN'T call the Holden import "Grand Prix". Whether they can call the North-American-built Pontiac Zeta "Grand Prix" may depend on where they build it... and whether they WILL depends on marketing and sales considerations.

So the answer is: yeah, the G8 is functionally the successor to the Grand Prix, but whether the name is dead or not remains to be seen.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:48 PM

If the name really is tied to Oshawa (I can't believe GM made so many "name deals" like that?? ) then I guess if it's gotta go, it's gotta go? (for now ).

I don't see how/why the "G8" won't be a successful replacement to the Grand Prix, and since it's sharing the platform with the Camaro, why it won't be built in Oshawa once things are up and running there in another couple years.

Will they re-introduce "Grand Prix" if/when the time comes is another question? Camaro took a break ... why can't it?
Old 01-18-2007, 07:04 AM

I'm sure the G8 will be more than a worthy successor to what is now the Grand Prix. I'm just surprised there isn't more outcry over the loss of a GM nameplate that has been running continually for 45 years. Apparently, the GP faithful aren't as numerous or as attached to their cars as we Camaro faithful.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:10 AM

I think they will let the "GP" name die, along with the other Pontiac nameplates of yore. Pontiac's heading in a new direction, more upscale, more BMWish, and the old names carry the wrong image in most cases.

G6
G8
GTO

instead of

Firebird
Trans Am
Grand Am
Grand Prix

They don't want you thinking about that crappy Sunbird your girlfriend had or your dad's old '87 Grand Prix when you go to test drive a G6 or G8.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:46 AM

Well, as the former owner of an '01 GP GT coupe and now sharing an '04 Comp G with my girlfriend, I am sad to see the name go. Sure, the base cars are rentals, but the name still carries some cache to it with a lot of people, especially die-hard Pontiac fans. My mother owned a '95 GP SE sedan, a '98 GP GT sedan she ordered, which she traded in for an '01 GP GT sedan that's now my sister's. Assuming Kristen and I get an '07 GXP one of these days (which I'd still like to do), that would mean we owned one every 3 model years for 12 consecutive years

I for one am a big W Body fan, and am sorry to see the name go. I thought Grand Am and Grand Prix sounded a helluva lot better together than G6 and G8, and I know I'm not alone...

I'd love one day for the Grand Prix to come back as the G8 replacement, and maybe even make a coupe?? How cool would it be to have the GTO be a high output version of a GP coupe????
Old 01-18-2007, 11:08 AM

The Grand Prix is dead for now (production ends in November of 2007). But, considering 74% of the 100k sales were fleet, only Avis/National/Enterprise and several company fleets (US Cellular et. al.) will miss it. Expect G6 to take up some of the rental slack (has the Lake Orion plant ever come close to its capacity since it stopped making G-bodies and went Epsilon with the G6? I understand they're also going to have the ability to build new Malibus on an overflow basis - as Fairfax is getting busy with Malibu and Aura production, and rumors that the old Malibu will stick around as another fleet "Classic").
Old 01-18-2007, 05:57 PM

Actual fleet #s for GPs are actually around 60%, but the message is still loud and clear

Go visit www.clubgp.com though if you think no one will miss the GP. LOTS of happy GXP, Comp G and blown GT owners, who don't want a RWD car, will miss it a lot.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:47 PM

would be cool if the G8 had a Grand Prix option..

"Introducing the Pontiac G8 Grand Prix..."
Old 01-18-2007, 08:33 PM

Anyone remember Nova/ChevyII ?

Wouldn't surprise me to see that again once Oshawa gets rolling on Zeta.

Hopefully it will signal the end of the absurd G# naming scheme.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Chris 96 WS6
They don't want you thinking about that crappy Sunbird your girlfriend had or your dad's old '87 Grand Prix when you go to test drive a G6 or G8.
I guess so!

Seems the words "Grand / Sun / Fire / Bird" have been buried by Pontiac?
Old 01-18-2007, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by CaminoLS6
the absurd G# naming scheme.
There are many Pontiac owners who agree with you, including me. Many of them are starting to get vocal about it on GM's Fastlane Blog. "Someone" at GM seems to be in the clouds on this issue. The Grand Prix has tremendous brand equity and name recognition. It won the J.D. Power Initial Quality Award in 2006 for the mid-size segment. The problem with GM is not the model names, but is in part due to a lack of product in many car segments. This wholesale renaming will lead to increased advertising expenditures and divert money which could be used for even more new product.

If the GP name is allowed to die, it will be the forth GM car to have won the J.D Power award over the last few years, only to be cancelled. The others were: Prism, LeSabre and Century. What kind of message does this send to your customers?
Old 01-18-2007, 10:58 PM

Grand Prix biggest market is Chicago. They sell tons of them up north to people who want a performance image, but need a sedan, and FWD because of the snow. I still think the GP would be selling well had they not turbed off the traditional GP buyers with the ugly 04 nose on it, and then screwed it up more with the GXP nose. I pought my 04 in black because it hit the grille. The 1997-2003 GP was a car that pretty much everyone loved from a exterior design standpoint. The 04 up, is much more love it or hate it, which really killed the list of potential buyers.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:56 AM

Where was the outcry when GM gave it's other divisions a version of the G-body in '73? Where was the outcry when GM stuck the GP name on a FWD car in '88? Where was the outcry when GM added a 4 door GP in '90 or '91?

The GP that we know today is so far from it's roots, that it doesn't really matter.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:22 AM

Hows about this compromise on the Grand Prix/G8 name: GP? It keeps some of the heritage of Grand Prix but fits the Gx naming scheme. Kinda like what Caddy did with DTS and STS.

Quick Reply: Does G8 = Death of the Grand Prix?