Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles
View Poll Results: did it?
Yes
15.00%
No
85.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

did it anger you when the CEO's flew to washington?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 05:11 PM

Whether or not they deserve to fly in separate jets because of status or wealth isn't really the question.

The only pardon would be if the collective cost of flying in separate private jets was justified in support of other business activities that would have cost the business MORE had they not chosen that option.

In the eye of the public, and especially since they were flying to ask for large sums of money, it's a poor example of stewardship.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EKO
Management agreed to it. Not entirely the union's fault. Why don't you guys get this?
I understand that perfectly well, but who knows what would have happened had GM not agreed to it. They might have found themselves in the midst of a strike which would have rendered them sitting ducks.

Originally Posted by onebadponcho
Yeah, and GM let the union push them into doing that. Again, it wasn't such a big deal when they weren't losing money hand over fist.
The union is finally seeing this and opening up the contract. I think it finally clicked that if GM, Ford, and Chrysler aren't around, then they won't get any money.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:15 PM

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by robvas
I'm sure the AIG guys flew in on jets too
It's all about who ya know.....
Old 12-04-2008, 05:18 PM
EKO

Originally Posted by shock6906
I understand that perfectly well, but who knows what would have happened had GM not agreed to it. They might have found themselves in the midst of a strike which would have rendered them sitting ducks.

The union is finally seeing this and opening up the contract. I think it finally clicked that if GM, Ford, and Chrysler aren't around, then they won't get any money.
From this thread: https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=648803

Originally Posted by Me
You gotta understand a union/management negotiation. Union aims high, management aims low, they meet in the middle on a compromise that's best for the company and employees. It just seems in this case the union aimed high, and the company said, meh, ok! Typically, if the union plays hardball and goes on strike, then the company comes back to the table after a few weeks, and makes the offer a little better. By that time, those on strike are hurting enough financially (usually through poor financial planning) that they accept.
Remember, when on strike, you don't get paid either.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:20 PM

The union is finally seeing this and opening up the contract.
i am not ok with this move! We only make 30 and some change for team leaders at my plant here in texas thats the max and 28 for us normal folk i already only make 14.12 but the want us to lose 30 cents off each dollar that drops the 28 to 20 or so and me to 9.88 and i for one am not ok with that!
Old 12-04-2008, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by robvas
I'm sure the AIG guys flew in on jets too
Sheesh, they probably came in on their own private ocean liner, fresh off their retreat at their own private resort.

***k AIG!
Old 12-04-2008, 05:24 PM
EKO

Originally Posted by onebadponcho
Sheesh, they probably came in on their own private ocean liner, fresh off their retreat at their own private resort.

***k AIG!
Dressed in baby seal pelts from their hunting trip.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by UnknownWarrior
i am not ok with this move! We only make 30 and some change for team leaders at my plant here in texas thats the max and 28 for us normal folk i already only make 14.12 but the want us to lose 30 cents off each dollar that drops the 28 to 20 or so and me to 9.88 and i for one am not ok with that!
Sucks, man, but if GM goes into bankruptcy, then your union's contract is dissolved anyway, which could mean instead of $9.88, you could be making $0.00 per hour.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:27 PM

Sucks, man, but if GM goes into bankruptcy, then your union's contract is dissolved anyway, which could mean instead of $9.88, you could be making $0.00 per hour.
so true i will have to look for another job then lol
Old 12-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by UnknownWarrior
so true i will have to look for another job then lol
Which might be what you'd have to do anyway if 9.88 wouldn't pay the bills. I'm not trying to seem heartless. I hate to see anyone on here suffer as a result of the economy going down the crapper.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:36 PM

Yeah, it ticked me off a bit. If it were up to me, they wouldn't get a dime. But hey, now the GM main dude is sitting shotgun in a Cobalt.

There asking us to bail them out with a few billion dollars because of the ****ty cars they build. Hell no. Yeah, I said ****ty cars.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Johnnynsac
Yeah, it ticked me off a bit. If it were up to me, they wouldn't get a dime. But hey, now the GM main dude is sitting shotgun in a Cobalt.

There asking us to bail them out with a few billion dollars because of the ****ty cars they build. Hell no. Yeah, I said ****ty cars.
and you drive a GM Vehicle for what reason?
Old 12-04-2008, 05:38 PM

Which might be what you'd have to do anyway if 9.88 wouldn't pay the bills. I'm not trying to seem heartless. I hate to see anyone on here suffer as a result of the economy going down the crapper.
yea at 11 bucks and hour at my last job i was barely able to make my bills lol
Old 12-04-2008, 05:49 PM

very stupid if you ask me. They need to show what they are doing to "change". That is just more of the same from GM. Waste cash when they don't have too. I'm guessing it was only a few hundred bucks for them to drive.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Killaz
very stupid if you ask me. They need to show what they are doing to "change". That is just more of the same from GM. Waste cash when they don't have too. I'm guessing it was only a few hundred bucks for them to drive.
How much time did it take?

Most were driving prototype cars, I am sure there was a whole entorage of mechanics, and a trailers with equipment and maybe even some replacement vehicles.

The last thing they needed was to have one of there new "premier" vehicles break down along the way and leave them stranded, that would do great for sales with the public. Understandable since they are prototypes. Wouldn't surprise me if the roadtrip cost more.

I think its funny people don't see some of the biggest companies in the US might require having a private jet.

LOL Regal Cinemas has a private Jet. Yeah I can gurantee Regal Cinemas is nothing like the big 3 in size/money/jobs.

Its rediculous, its the liberal media, and a bit of a liberal congress just showing their hate for the automotive/manufacturing industry.

If anyone has Playboy, there is a really good article about the decline of manufacturing jobs and how our economy has really suffered from it.

Biggest thing being from 40s-70s, middle class was much better and controled a bigger part of the nation's wealth. Hell think about it, only 1 parent worked.

Think of today, the top 1% control much more of the wealth, and almost seems rediculous/impossible if someone stays at home now.

Quick Reply: did it anger you when the CEO's flew to washington?