Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

DeLorean Solstice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 10:41 AM

I doubt this will do anything. I doubt GM will sell rights to the Kappa platform. They might license it, but I still doubt that.

GM lost lots of money on Kappa. I don't see how DeLorean will be able to make money selling this car at the current price.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Plague
GM lost lots of money on Kappa. I don't see how DeLorean will be able to make money selling this car at the current price.
This is the first thing that ran through my mind - if GM can't make money off of it, how will a tiny company like DMC?
Old 10-07-2009, 11:49 AM

Charge more for it. I'd want one, but I'm afraid it's probably going to be like $40k for a two-seater from a boutique manufacturer.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:05 PM

It would be easier for them because they wouldnt have to pay for all the R&D GM threw into it. Im sure if GM sells it theyd end up selling it for pennies on the dollar. Delorean just needs to reskin it, maybe add a couple features and charge a premium. DMC Banshee is born.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:59 PM

i could make it wok. wok it to hell. but no one would buy this story.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by nightwave
Charge more for it. I'd want one, but I'm afraid it's probably going to be like $40k for a two-seater from a boutique manufacturer.
What would justify the cost going to $40k? The name? Different interior? Different drive train? All of this is going to cost money. GXP convertible starts at almost 30k. With the changes they would need to make, I see this car going over 50k to make a profit.

Originally Posted by 0toinsanein5.4sec
It would be easier for them because they wouldnt have to pay for all the R&D GM threw into it. Im sure if GM sells it theyd end up selling it for pennies on the dollar. Delorean just needs to reskin it, maybe add a couple features and charge a premium. DMC Banshee is born.
Yes GM did the R&D. That doesn't mean GM will sell it cheap. Again, I think the drive train would need to be upgraded as well. I think this would be 50k or more. I don't see this making much if any money.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:10 PM

I can see a number of hurdles for this thing, but I still think it would be really cool if they could pull it off.

First and foremost, it would be good for Wilmington if the the plant were able to stay open in some capacity. JZD fancied himself as a champion of ethics, and keeping a plant open in a struggling economy would probably be in line with his thinking. Before his death, he was tentatively planning on trying to get funding to build a composite bodied sports car, which the Solstice is.

Naming would be an issue if they wanted to use Banshee. I think its still trademarked by GM, so it would have to be used under liscense. Perhaps with Pontiac out of the picture, it may be freed up now. I would guess they'd go with a name like "DMCxx".

Does anyone know how the Kappa structure would hold up for future crash standards? I remember reading that that was part of what led to the 4th gen f-body's demise. If the crash standards are about to change drastically, it may not be feasible to build a car for a couple of years when it would need to be re-engineered fairly soon.

One way that DMC could get by with charging a premium for this car is by putting a V8 in it. Other tuners have done it, so that may be an option too. It may be more trouble than its worth if it has to be recertified.

Last edited by Sixer-Bird; 10-07-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:40 PM

Yes GM did the R&D. That doesn't mean GM will sell it cheap. Again, I think the drive train would need to be upgraded as well. I think this would be 50k or more. I don't see this making much if any money.
Why would the drive train need to be upgraded?
Old 10-07-2009, 07:29 PM

I doubt this will do anything. I doubt GM will sell rights to the Kappa platform. They might license it, but I still doubt that.

I can say without a shadow of a doubt - it ain't gonna happen. It got as far as you've seen here.

A drawing on a piece of paper. That's it.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:06 AM

I smell a Back to the Future remake!