Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

The costly secrets of hybrid cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 10:54 AM

The costly secrets of hybrid cars

MSN Money

Thought this was interesting:

Then there's the issue of whether these cars actually get the mileage they claim. This is actually a pretty big deal with the vehicles that are the most fuel-efficient: the Prius and the Insight. Owners have been yowling for years that their mileage isn't anything like the EPA's numbers.

"I drove a Prius for a week and never saw 60 mpg," Perry said. "I averaged around 42 mpg."

Now, that kind of mileage should make any Hummer driver blush. But it's not that much better than a fuel-efficient small sedan, like a Honda Civic. (The EPA clocks the Civic with Honda's "Lean Burn" engine technology at 36 mpg city, 44 mpg highway.)

So while hybrids might not be a scam, they are pretty expensive for what you're getting.
Someone should tell the tree hugers to look for something else.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:59 AM

Re: The costly secrets of hybrid cars

This does not even include how expensive those Hybrid electric systems will be to fix after the warranty expires.

The Prius is a cool gadget (for those who prefer gadgets over the fun of driving) that should only be leased and then replaced every 3 years.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:01 AM
Banned

local dealer informed us that the gas motor is required for the A/C

so that could be where the milage is going to ... especially for places like here in florida.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:50 AM

ppl are dumb. If I wanted fuel economy I'd get a Jetta TDI and not worry about batteries...
Old 05-05-2005, 12:05 PM

At This Point In History, The Driver Is More Of A Factor In Gas Mileage Than The Vehicles Mpg
Old 05-05-2005, 12:46 PM

Hybrids are more of a personal statement and marketing ploy than anything else at this point.

Someone pays a bit more to show how much they care for the environment. The manufacturer gets to help their cars' average fuel economy and also look like they care about the environment. In public opinion, it looks like "something" as opposed to the same old: "at least they're trying."

Unknowns still exist over battery life and disposal. DOD and similar technologies should provide similar improvements in fuel economy. We'll see if it goes as noticed by the public.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TrackMagicWS6
ppl are dumb. If I wanted fuel economy I'd get a Jetta TDI and not worry about batteries...
exactly

gotta love the TDI fuel economy
Old 05-05-2005, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by TrackMagicWS6
Check out the European Honda Accord 2.2i CTDi diesel.
http://www.buyacar.co.uk/technicalSp...onyq5018.jhtml

Their accord is our Acura TSX, but they weigh around the same as our accord anyways. Their Diesel accord gets 42.2mpg city and 61.4mpg highway with a combined fuel economy of 52.3mpg. With fuel mileage like that, **** hybrids.

Honda will be brining this engine to the U.S markets. Even in our heavier accord, it'll still get better fuel mileage than the hybrid accord. And as far as diesels go, it's far more advanced and powerful than the VW units.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:15 PM

I drove one for a week (enterprise rental) and I avraged 44mpg. I kept trying for 50mpg but it was a pipe dream

anasazi I used no A/C, it was Nov. in Texas, 60° EPA ratings for testing Hybrids are off.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gold_Rush
Their Diesel accord gets 42.2mpg city and 61.4mpg highway with a combined fuel economy of 52.3mpg. With fuel mileage like that, **** hybrids.
The miles-per-gallon figures are based on imperial gallons. Imperial gallons are much larger than U.S. gallons. That inflates the fuel economy numbers.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:53 PM

Wow....this type of thread seems to show up about twice a month.

1st off....ALL cars usually underperform against their EPA rating. Why? Because their drivers don't know how to drive for fuel economy. This is even MORE pronounced when driving a hybrid. If you can drive it right, you can still have fun in it while demolishing EPA ratings. I've said this many times...I've often got 20-30 MPG MORE than what the EPA rated my Honda Insight. Its Lifetime MPG was well over 60 MPG for a vehicle rated at 55/56 MPG, and I had that thing under full throttle plenty of times. There are a few hybrid enthusiast sites out there with members doing the same thing...even a few guys averaging 100MPG in their Insights over the cars lifetime. When was the last time you saw a conventional vehicle get 33% better gas milage than its EPA rating on one trip? Nevermind the entire LIFE of the vehicle.

Next, we have the argument of diesels that always come up. Diesel technology is decades upon decades old. Its been studied, experimented, and utilitized in cars for almost a century, and yet they still only get equal to or less than the same gas milage that similar electric assisted vehicles get that have been around for half a decade. Give hybrid technology the same kind of time and resources that diesels got and it will blow it right now of the water. The new Lithium battery technology is alreaddy going to do that, and hybrid technology has only been available in cars for 6 years now.

Lastly, hybrid technology can do a lot more for performance of a vehicle while maintaining and even increasing its fuel efficiency. Why would you guys be against that? Because its human nature to affraid of new things and change. Just give the technology a chance before you dismiss it, we'll all be glad we did.

Originally Posted by Gold_Rush
Check out the European Honda Accord 2.2i CTDi diesel.
http://www.buyacar.co.uk/technicalSp...onyq5018.jhtml

Their accord is our Acura TSX, but they weigh around the same as our accord anyways. Their Diesel accord gets 42.2mpg city and 61.4mpg highway with a combined fuel economy of 52.3mpg. With fuel mileage like that, **** hybrids.

Honda will be brining this engine to the U.S markets. Even in our heavier accord, it'll still get better fuel mileage than the hybrid accord. And as far as diesels go, it's far more advanced and powerful than the VW units.
I'm not sure if you realized this, but that diesel Accord is slow as sh*t. The Accord hybrid is faster than the N/A Accord V6 Sedan.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:08 PM

A lot of it IS driver... My father used to be able to get 26-30mpg in stop and go city driving, with a 1992 Caprice with a TBI 305. Best I ever did with the same car was 22mpg.

On the flip side, hybrids have their place, which is a very specific operating range. Outside of that, and their efficiency goes down. Of course, in the vast majority of situations, IE: Outside the realm of their efficiency (mixed city/highway, in very hot or very cold conditions,) with a normal (read: only knows where to put the fuel and who to mail the loan payments to) driver, real world numbers are going to be much lower than advertised.