Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Is GM ever going to have 5 or 6 speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 08:38 AM

Is GM ever going to have 5 or 6 speed

automatics in their mainstream vehicles? What the hell is up? They used to be the world leaders in powertrain and drivetrain and now they are lagging horribly. I know they are in the joint venture with Ford on the 6 speed automatic but when are we supposed to see them? It seems like every comparo you read in C&D and Motor Trend every vehicle has at least a 5 speed auto but the GM products. It seems like the only thing they have 5 speeds in are the Caddy's and the Equinox (Aisen Seiki trans).
Old 05-01-2005, 09:12 AM

Re: Is GM ever going to have 5 or 6 speed

GM has a 5 speed auto in the Sigma vehicles and V-cars with the DOHC 3.8. A 6 speed will be in the STS-V and XLR-v. There were spy photos taken this week of the 6 speed with tiptronic capability in the Vette. The Equinox has a 5 speed auto and the ION for the 1st year did also, till tests revealed that people liked the 4 speed unit better. All GMT900s should have Auto six speeds from day one. The AUS Zeta cars should have the 6 speeds starting in 07 and the reskinned CTS should have the 6 speed auto as production comes on line. In 07 or 08 the FWD GM/Ford 6 speed should be available quite widely with LOTS of applications.

The reason that you see 5+ speed autos from other manufactures is that their engines don't typically have as flat torque curves as GMs. This means that their engines don't stay in the power range as long and they need more gears to make up the difference. The typical GM engine has a broad flat torque curve and can use a 4 speed auto that will typically get better gas mileage with similar performance as a 5 or 6 speed auto from a competitor. The GM 6 speeds will be able to use further spaced gears to get a lower final 6th gear drive ratio to improve fuel economy (the main reason for the switch to 6 speed autos). Also the new 6 speeds like each new transmission before it will improve on shift quality and power handling.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:56 AM

Surprisingly, Ford is already using the 6spd auto's in their 500's and upcoming Fusion. Isn't this the Fwd 6spd auto joint venture with GM we've been hearing about?? Why does Ford have theirs out first? or this a different fwd 6spd auto?

I was looking at the maserati droptop vs corvette convertible shootout and was surprised to see that the 63k loaded vette vert had a 4spd auto .

Weird thing is that the corvette XLR has a 5spd auto. Wouldn't this 5spd auto work for the vette as well since they're built off the same platform?

Even the 5spd auto is a bit behind for such high-end cars. 6spd auto's are the norm, with some like BMW and MB stepping upto 7spd auto's now.

Weird when you consider that GM was considered the auto-tranny leader not too long ago. So it is off seeing them lagging behind with the use of the 6spd autos.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:26 PM

Here's some factage:

1) BMW buys GM's 5-speed transmission... the same one used in the Cadillacs.

2) 6-speed FWD and RWD trannys are on the way. Seen the planetary assemblies myself.

3) I believe is was just announced that the Corvette with get an "Auto-Stick" type 6-speed automatic in 2006.

Cliff's notes:

Soon, already got em in some cars, more coming.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Gold_Rush
..Isn't this the Fwd 6spd auto joint venture with GM we've been hearing about?? Why does Ford have theirs out first? or this a different fwd 6spd auto?
No Ford is using the Asini unit found in most Asian makes. It can't stand up to the torque of the 3.5/3.8 so GM couldn't use it.

I was looking at the maserati droptop vs corvette convertible shootout and was surprised to see that the 63k loaded vette vert had a 4spd auto .
And how much was that maserati?

Weird thing is that the corvette XLR has a 5spd auto. Wouldn't this 5spd auto work for the vette as well since they're built off the same platform?
The 5 speed RWD units can't handle the torque from the LSx motors. That is why the Corvette didn't get them.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:35 AM

CTS-V and Corvette get 6-speed auto for MY 2006; photos have been posted on public access website (autodeadline.com). Since CTS-V gets LS2 for 06, I'm hoping they don't ignore the only other LS2 vehicle (GTO) for MY 06.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:21 PM

What actually got me thinking about this in the first place is the Car and Driver article that tested the compact/midsize pickup trucks. Every truck had a 5 speed automatic [i]except[/b] the Chevy, which incidentially had the lowest hp, lowest torque and worst performance in pretty much every category other than fuel economy.

Let's not forget, pickups are somewhere in the neighborhood of 58% of the market. Let's hope the GMT 900's launch with a 5 or 6 speed auto.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by routesixtysixer
Since CTS-V gets LS2 for 06, I'm hoping they don't ignore the only other LS2 vehicle (GTO) for MY 06.
That would seem to be logical ... maybe it would dispense with the gas guzzler tax on the automatics. The auto should at least meet if not exceed the manual in EPA fuel consumption ratings. I was really surprised at the difference between the autos and manuals when I looked at a few 04's.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by routesixtysixer
CTS-V and Corvette get 6-speed auto for MY 2006; photos have been posted on public access website (autodeadline.com). Since CTS-V gets LS2 for 06, I'm hoping they don't ignore the only other LS2 vehicle (GTO) for MY 06.
Don't forget the Trailblazer SS and the SSR.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Hoodshaker
Don't forget the Trailblazer SS and the SSR.

My bad...........
Old 05-02-2005, 05:57 PM

I have your answer..Pics of the 6L80E

http://gm.wieck.com/forms/gm/*query?...rce=all&Page=2
Old 05-02-2005, 06:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PacerX
Here's some factage:

1) BMW buys GM's 5-speed transmission... the same one used in the Cadillacs.
Not anymore. BMW is using ZF's 6-speed auto in every car from the 1-series to the Rolls-Royce Phantom.

2) 6-speed FWD and RWD trannys are on the way. Seen the planetary assemblies myself.
The 6-speed transmissions are very, very late. It make you wonder why they're so late? Think about it.

3) I believe is was just announced that the Corvette with get an "Auto-Stick" type 6-speed automatic in 2006.
The 6-speed automatic was supposed to premier in the 2005 C6 Corvette. Like I said, it's running very, very late.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:01 PM

Even if they came out tomarrow, they're still 2 to 3 years late.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:05 PM

I agree, but better late then never. Get them to market already!
Old 05-03-2005, 04:55 PM

My dad works at the warren powertrain plant. They just retooled for the 6speed autos.

Quick Reply: Is GM ever going to have 5 or 6 speed