Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Is Chris Bangle history at BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 10:35 AM

Is Chris Bangle history at BMW?

This from Autoexpress:

"BANGLE ON HIS WAY OUT
It looks as though the controversial relationship between BMW and its chief designer,Chris Bangle,could be coming to the end of the road,Auto Express can exclusively reveal.

While the flamboyant stylists radical remake of the German company's range has divided opinion across the car world,BMW has remained fiercely loyal to him.Now however there are rumours that the American,whom we interviewed exclusively back in issue 773,will step down from the hot seat in less than a years time.
According to our source at BMW HQ in Munich,word has it that Bangle will stay for the Global launch of the 1 Series this autumn,before declaring that his daring brand rethink is complete and that the time has come for a new design boss to take over."
Old 01-16-2004, 10:44 AM

I think the guy gets bashed too much...

I know most people here don't like his stuff, but the only one that looks really awkward to me is the Z4...
Old 01-16-2004, 11:20 AM

Z4 does look too much like a shark to me. however, 5-series, while disliked by me initially, has grown, and I think it actually is a great design. Throw some GFX package with good wheels, or M5 - and it's an awesome machine.

I don't think I've seen his redesign of 3-series... Anyone knows anything about this?

Was 7 series his redesign as well? My only complaint about it is the rear end. That makes me think that BMW made the decision on third shift on Christmas day.

Speaking of which, aren't there rumors circulating that BMW is redesigning 7-series rear end?
Old 01-16-2004, 11:24 AM

I've tried very hard to view Bangle's BMW designs with an open mind. I think, in the future, people will regard BMW's of this era as unique and classic. But for right now, I find it hard to say that I like the 5 and 7 better than the previous gen cars.

Who knows, I may change my mind....maybe I'm a "late responder" to new trends.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:38 AM

Styling is so subjective it's like walking through a mine field.

Personally I like the shark look of the Z4 and would like to see some shark like agreesiveness in the 5th Gen.

Only ihstory will tell how these cars are percieved. Overall I like what he did but there are (to me personally, especially from a design background) many details in each car that just don't jive with the overall design.

I would wonder tho if there is a personality conflict growing at BMW. Designers tend to be extremely egotisctical and flamboyant, which I can image would cause friction at a conservative culture in Munich.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by Z284ever
I've tried very hard to view Bangle's BMW designs with an open mind. I think, in the future, people will regard BMW's of this era as unique and classic. But for right now, I find it hard to say that I like the 5 and 7 better than the previous gen cars...
The previous BMW designs to me looked great enough that I'd buy that design on any other car (regardless of brand) if the price was right. The proportions were just right, the lines were just right, and it was one of those extremely rare designs that could be both sporty or luxurious depending on the trim & the eye of the beholder.

I'm a very strong believer that design is subjective, but I every time I see a new BMW (especially the 7 series) I really wonder if they bought the car simply because of the name & not the design of the car. That's something I never wondered before.
Old 01-17-2004, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by guionM
I'm a very strong believer that design is subjective, but I every time I see a new BMW (especially the 7 series) I really wonder if they bought the car simply because of the name & not the design of the car. That's something I never wondered before.
Yes styling is subjective, but there are certain "rules" that generally make for a more attactive design. If you read Automobile magazine, I love Robert Cumberford's analysis of new car designs, and how he explains why some thing work while other don't.

With regards to wondering why some people buy BMWs, there's never been a question in my mind. I see it far too often where a person buys one for wrong reason, i.e. not for its real strengths such as its engine or handling prowess. And that's okay, it's their money. But aside from being able to show off a BMW key fob to all their friends, I'll bet they'd be far happier in a more comfortable, well appointed, reliable, cheaper, and more fuel efficient Camry.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by R377
...With regards to wondering why some people buy BMWs, there's never been a question in my mind. I see it far too often where a person buys one for wrong reason, i.e. not for its real strengths such as its engine or handling prowess. And that's okay, it's their money. But aside from being able to show off a BMW key fob to all their friends, I'll bet they'd be far happier in a more comfortable, well appointed, reliable, cheaper, and more fuel efficient Camry.
Hey. Get out of my head!