Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Chevy hints that the SS concept is based on the Chevelle!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by R377
The Chrysler Prowler was also made in small batches, much smaller than the SSR is planned for. And near the end they were sitting for well over 100 days on dealers' floor before being sold.

I'm sure SSRs will do well for a year or so, but I don't think the design has near the legs the Prowler or PT Cruiser had. Everyone who wants one will pretty much buy theirs in the first year, then things will slow down dramatically. Think Fiero, think Allante, think Reatta.
No debate there, though I think Fieros died down because of word of mouth about the problems of the 1st ones as much as market saturation.

After seeing the production SSR in person, I really couldn't see why something like that made it to production. It's one of those vehicles (like GM's "TransSport" vans) that works far better as a concept than a actual vehicle. It would be nice if some SSR sheetmetal made it to production, but a convertible hardtop pickup with modest power, modest (if any) hauling capacity, and a $40,000 price tag, and the fact GM won't make any money on it simply baffles me.
Old 01-11-2003, 04:05 PM

Thumbs up SSR

I think the SSR is awsome. First thing convertibles never looked right with the top up, SSR does. Second the small bed gives it a little utility, maybe to justify it to the wifes out there! Its not intended as a work truck obviously. When compared to the Prowler, power is anything but modest. That thing screamed fast and was anything but! When it (Prowler) came out, I was excited ( I'm A GM fan), then I found out it had a 6 cyl. and not even a powerful 1. With the SSR at least there is a motor in there you can work with(a V8). If I was ready to buy when SSR comes out I'd buy it, if I wasn't waiting for a Camaro! As for the whole 4 door thing (SS), IMO if they make it appear to be a 2 door, which I believe they have done, that is cool. The SS should be a welcome addition to the Chevy lineup. I hope they build it with the 430HP/TQ. It will also be awsome IMO.
Old 01-11-2003, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by guionM

After seeing the production SSR in person, I really couldn't see why something like that made it to production. It's one of those vehicles (like GM's "TransSport" vans) that works far better as a concept than a actual vehicle. It would be nice if some SSR sheetmetal made it to production, but a convertible hardtop pickup with modest power, modest (if any) hauling capacity, and a $40,000 price tag, and the fact GM won't make any money on it simply baffles me.

After seeing the "production intent" version last year, I felt the same way. The production version, certainly lacks alot of the flair that the concept had.

I think SSR was a relatively easy way (being another truck recipe), for Chevy to desperately show the world that they were still kicking.

I'm with R377 BTW, I think they'll sell like hotcakes (with a price premium), initially, and peter out horribly later on.
Old 01-11-2003, 06:17 PM

I don't think GM will produce the SSR for more than a couple of years. Its just a niche vehicle, and not designed to be produced long term. Sell it while its hot, and drop it before it gets cold. Unlike Ford, GM will not make any of their mainstream cars an all out retro design. So what do they do to cash in on the retro craze? Build a limited production model to bring in some customers and garner some advertisement.

I can't say that I'm a fan of the SSR though.
Old 01-11-2003, 08:05 PM

I think they should sell a lot of them, and they should continue to as long as anyone who has the dough wants one. This is the blueprint for the standard CHEVY pick-up roadster aka SSR. Call me a nut, say its , but I Love It. And IMO more people like it than do not. People will eat them up, and IMO they don't even have to change it much from year to year, just make it available loaded up or not. Don't count on every one selling for upwards of $40,000 not a lot of color options very bright like the concept. Why can't they Chevy have created a new market for the SSR to Dominate. With the popularity of Sporttrucks. Besides what I read on this site most I speak with like it. Someone even tried to tell me it (SSR) was from Dodge. They (Dodge) even thought there might be a market for it, and did their take on their own little sport truck idea.I forget the name of it. And how can there be a (Super sport roadster) SSR without a (Super Sport) SS? CHEVY SS anyone! Things could be better in my wacky world as none of this makes me forget about our dead friend. May she one day return to punish all those who doubted her. Give the truck guys their SSR's and SileradoSS's. But where the hell is my Z/28, HELLO chevrolet can u hear this? Figure out how to make it work Cadillac needs to learn how to share, or something. CAMARO Is The Original Z Car. , and S iSS not the only letter deeply imbedded in the Chevy's Heritage. Z06 Z/28 SS SSR.
Old 01-11-2003, 08:16 PM

IMO, since we're gonna see something great suppossedly at the next show, its gonna be a fast Chevy, and since I don't see them bringing back the Nova right now, I say we are gonna see a Camaro concept, or the "SS" concept turned into a revised, 2 door, new Chevelle.

I'm going with the Chevelle because it seems to be the only realistic thing. I mean you got the SS concept car, Chevrolet saying they want a Chevy "GTO", the Camaro still a few years away, and GM wanting to bring back RWD, V8, and performance. Then on their own website they obviously hint at it. BTW, we know GM can work really fast these days and secretly, and when is the Chevelle's next Anniversary?? That would be 04.

Last edited by IZ28; 01-12-2003 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-12-2003, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by Z284ever
After seeing the "production intent" [SSR] version last year, I felt the same way. The production version, certainly lacks alot of the flair that the concept had.
The wheels are my biggest disappointment. The concept's wheels must've been a foot deep and looked like some bad-a$$ turbines, while the production wheels have been dumbed-down significantly. They look more like pretty little flowers than anything else Other than that, the overall cosmetics are nearly identical to the concept. Might I add that the looks of the seat design is a direct ripoff of the 1982 Viscount bucket seat used by Pontiac on multiple models, primarily Firebird. Regardless it strikes me as one of those vehicles that will sell out very fast and keep its appeal a few years at least. Also strikes me as a vehicle born to be stored away in heated garages and barely ever driven, and then maybe 5 years later pop up all over the place in "one owner; for sale" ads with super low miles not too far down from sticker price. Anyway I think they'll sell but I prefer the seriously cool concept wheels.
Old 01-12-2003, 01:32 AM

Wheel and tire selection along with ride height can make or break a vehicles looks and attitude. If the production SSR had the concepts wheels and lower ride hight, it would look mean and aggressive again.
Old 01-12-2003, 01:39 AM

All that and.....

Shorter wheelbase, longer length, longer overhangs, different windshield, different mirrors.
Old 01-12-2003, 08:21 AM

IZ28 said the nova?

Dude I dont think they want to bring back that name after what they did to it in the 80's.It was the first name they CHOPPED to all hell making it FWD.(B4 the Impala,Grand Prix,Monte) With me loving Novas I was heart broken when they butched the name.
Old 01-12-2003, 04:58 PM

I think its gonna be a Chevelle, and I think I'm gonna hurl. That thing needs some serious reworking before I consider it. I know it's a concept, the production version will be toned down, but that is flat out ugly IMO. I'll stick with my 69 Chevelle, thank you very much. You wanna see some good Chevelle concepts, a guy over on Team Chevelle does his own renderings and they look pretty good. He even did a new Camaro concept, I would buy it in a heartbeat.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:23 PM

Yes, I said I don't see them bringing back the Nova now. I wish they would though, but correctly!!

I'm guessing it's gonna be the basis for a new Chevelle, but if so it'll probably look a good amount different then the SS concept, hopefully.

Last edited by IZ28; 01-13-2003 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-12-2003, 07:08 PM

Chevelle is a smoke screen for what is really going down. IMO in a few years Chevy will have to decide whether they want a Camaro or Monte Carlo...
Old 01-13-2003, 07:16 AM

Big damn deal - SS! This brand comprises of the SSR and the Siverado SS. Imagine that, two trucks! And if they actually produce the Chevy SS from the concept, you get 4-doors. How about going out on a limb and offering it as a 2-door as well?

I am telling you, I am so sick and tired of looking at GM's products and being disappointed. Why does everything have to have 4-doors or be V6/FWD.