Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Checked out a Chevy Cruze today!

Old 02-17-2010, 08:33 PM

Checked out a Chevy Cruze today!

Been working in Mexico this week and on the way back to the US today we were riding behind, alongside, and in front of a Chevy Cruze.

What a great looking car. First I noticed the Chevy bowtie and thought what the heck is that badge doing on the car actually thinking it was an import from behind. First thought was Lexus IS with a little less flash and slightly smaller. Then I saw the "Cruze" badge and realized what I was seeing. Ending up passing it and then getting in front. From the side it looked nicely proportioned and very composed over the rough "new" highway we were on. From the front it looked very Malibu but better and I like the look of the Malibu front end. There happened to be a Fusion a lane over and the Cruze made it look bad IMO. Here's another vote for bring this thing over now!! It's being sold just across the border and this one was on it's way into the States. What's the hold up?!
Old 02-17-2010, 08:53 PM

We saw one in St Martin on our honeymoon last May. It is a good looking car when its in the wild.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Northwest94Z
Been working in Mexico this week and on the way back to the US today we were riding behind, alongside, and in front of a Chevy Cruze.

What a great looking car. First I noticed the Chevy bowtie and thought what the heck is that badge doing on the car actually thinking it was an import from behind. First thought was Lexus IS with a little less flash and slightly smaller. Then I saw the "Cruze" badge and realized what I was seeing. Ending up passing it and then getting in front. From the side it looked nicely proportioned and very composed over the rough "new" highway we were on. From the front it looked very Malibu but better and I like the look of the Malibu front end. There happened to be a Fusion a lane over and the Cruze made it look bad IMO. Here's another vote for bring this thing over now!! It's being sold just across the border and this one was on it's way into the States. What's the hold up?!
I'm of the same opinion. It looks classy in the metal. I don't think enough people gave it credit when they commented in another recent thread.

Obviously it had a profound effect if it makes you start a thread about it!
Old 02-17-2010, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
I'm of the same opinion. It looks classy in the metal. I don't think enough people gave it credit when they commented in another recent thread.

Obviously it had a profound effect if it makes you start a thread about it!
While looking at it I was thinking of how it stacked up at least visually to it's competition since I don't know how it performs and I think it stands out in a very positive way. If Corrola gets recalled it would be nice if buyers could step into a Cruze!!
Old 02-17-2010, 09:39 PM

Hopefully seeing it on the streets produces a similar effect for me, because to be honest, I was a little underwhelmed by it when I saw it at the Philly auto show. Don't get me wrong, it was nice, but a little too generic, especially from the rear.

The Volt on the other hand looked badass, something that surprised the hell out of me. It may have been the contrast of the lights with the black paint, but it looked very good.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Northwest94Z
While looking at it I was thinking of how it stacked up at least visually to it's competition since I don't know how it performs...
To be honest, the engine is its worst attribute - not the best performing small car nor the most frugal. That 1.8L donk is a dog. The diesel is supposed to be the pick although the 1.4L turbo might upstage it... time will tell.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:41 PM

people don't give the design enough credit because they wanted more flash. what gm gave was substance. cruze has a good---great stance. it has some good surface detailing. it has attractive but not standout fascias/graphics. it has an attractive profile that's not daring, conservative roofline. overall cruze is very good looking. it stands out in the small car crowd because it has a very very good stance and the surface elements are attractive. chevy caps it off with a good looking fascia.

cruze is like cobalt in this sense, although cobalt is much much much more underwhelming. while cruze could have upped the sex appeal a little more...it's not a downer by any stretch, nor is it something people can't be proud of. and it definitely is the antidote to the extreme nature of some of focus' curves. cruze is just basic fundamental goodness---it takes care of all the basics and makes sure to get them right. then it doesn't go overboard on any details. it's just right. though it could have been sexier.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:28 AM

I sat in one at the Toronto auto show a few days ago. I was impressed with both the interior and the exterior. Hopefully they don't screw up the pricing when it comes out.