Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Cadillac Escalade Armrest... Inexcuseably Bad...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 10:40 AM

Cadillac Escalade Armrest... Inexcuseably Bad...

While shopping for what eventually turned into our HHR purchase, we also went to a Cadillac dealer to look at CTS's.

While there I hopped in an Escalade to check out the interior, at which point I was presented with a TRULY AWFUL armrest.

The armrest is nicely styled from an appearance standpoint, but the hinge system is TERRIBLE.

The armrest flops all over the place with so much side-to-side free movement (sometimes call "chuck") at the hinges that it was embarrassing. Were I driving the vehicle, the thing would be dancing around over bumps like it had Mexican Jumping Beans in it.

Truly AWFUL.

Fix the hinges. Do it now.

It's a Cadillac for Christ's sake!!!
Old 07-10-2006, 10:52 AM

Re: Cadillac Escalade Armrest... Inexcuseably Bad...

You sure it wasn't a defect in the one you looked at? Or is it like that in all of them by design?

There seem to be a few seeminly minor oversites in the new Escalade design, but in a luxury SUV priced in the 55-70k range... those 'minor' things become the main detracting points for potential buyers.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Threxx
You sure it wasn't a defect in the one you looked at? Or is it like that in all of them by design?

There seem to be a few seeminly minor oversites in the new Escalade design, but in a luxury SUV priced in the 55-70k range... those 'minor' things become the main detracting points for potential buyers.
1) I'm sure.

2) Still the best large SUV on the market, by a W-I-D-E margin.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by PacerX
2) Still the best large SUV on the market, by a W-I-D-E margin.
"Best" from an engineering standpoint I'd agree from what I know - but again, the seemingly minor little 'details' is what I hear most luxury brand buyers complaining about. And they're the ones that buy 'em. If the arm rest is that bad, they WILL complain about it.

BTW - is the GMT-900 Escalade's suspension system considered a true semi-active design? Does it control the shocks and the sway bars or just the shocks?
Old 07-10-2006, 11:18 AM

"Best" from an engineering standpoint I'd agree from what I know - but again, the seemingly minor little 'details' is what I hear most luxury brand buyers complaining about. And they're the ones that buy 'em. If the arm rest is that bad, they WILL complain about it.

BTW - is the GMT-900 Escalade's suspension system considered a true semi-active design? Does it control the shocks and the sway bars or just the shocks?
From Cadillac's website:

"SuspensionCoil-over-shock front/5-link rear with bi-modal mono-tube shocks and computer-controlled real-time damping

Stability SystemStabiliTrak, computer-controlled, 4-channel stability enhancement system"
Old 07-10-2006, 11:21 AM

From Cadillac's website:

"SuspensionCoil-over-shock front/5-link rear with bi-modal mono-tube shocks and computer-controlled real-time damping

Stability SystemStabiliTrak, computer-controlled, 4-channel stability enhancement system"
So sounds like true semi-active shocks? Though nothing on the sways.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:28 AM

So sounds like true semi-active shocks? Though nothing on the sways.
I'd guess it's the magnetic spooge in the shocks GM uses all over the place.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:32 AM

I'd guess it's the magnetic spooge in the shocks GM uses all over the place.
Delphi's Magneride? I was told in another thread on this board was not a true semi-active suspension?
Old 07-10-2006, 11:50 AM

Delphi's Magneride? I was told in another thread on this board was not a true semi-active suspension?
Since I have very little seat time with either (truly "Fully Active" or "Semi-Active"), I'm not in any position to evaluate whether the "Fully Active" suspension is honestly any better - or can justify the added cost.

I beat on a MagnaRide Corvette for a awhile a few months back, hot-lapped an STS 4 a few times, and pounded on a CTS-V for an hour or so... But apart from those I can't give you any insight.

They all handled phenominally, with the Corvette pretty much being in a class of it's own.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:50 PM

Since I have very little seat time with either (truly "Fully Active" or "Semi-Active"), I'm not in any position to evaluate whether the "Fully Active" suspension is honestly any better - or can justify the added cost.

I beat on a MagnaRide Corvette for a awhile a few months back, hot-lapped an STS 4 a few times, and pounded on a CTS-V for an hour or so... But apart from those I can't give you any insight.

They all handled phenominally, with the Corvette pretty much being in a class of it's own.
I didn't ask if fully active was better, I asked if magneride, from a technical/defined standpoint was considered a true semi-active suspension (it's definitely not a fully active suspension). And if what the Escalade has is Magneride, or if it works differently.

And FWIW the CTS-V to my knowledge doesn't use Magneride or any other active suspension tech.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:42 PM

I didn't ask if fully active was better, I asked if magneride, from a technical/defined standpoint was considered a true semi-active suspension (it's definitely not a fully active suspension). And if what the Escalade has is Magneride, or if it works differently.

And FWIW the CTS-V to my knowledge doesn't use Magneride or any other active suspension tech.
My comparison was intended to point out that I've driven two performance vehicles lately, one a Cadillac with Stabilitrak and the other a MagneRide Corvette.

FWIW, the Corvette was a machine capable of stunning handling - the CTS-V obviously wasn't bad, but not the same.

In short, I don't know the answer if MagneRide is fully active or semi-active or semi-fully active.

I just know that on a Corvette, it works. And the CTS-V's Stabilitrak is also impressive.