Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Buick Regal GS exists, though a year late and without AWD...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 08:04 AM

Re: Buick Regal GS exists, though a year late and without AWD...

Wow, this car is really taking a beating here. I admit I haven't followed any of the lead-up hype of the Regal GS, but if you look at it as a quicker A4 competitor, it seems fine. A nicely equipped A4 will cost you around $40,000 if not more....

I'm sure GM could have done more with it, but with a base price over $40,000 for what you say you want, who's buying?

Last edited by Z28Wilson; 11-05-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by FUTURE_OF_GM
So this Buick is the perfect replacement for a car that according to GM, should've been a Chevrolet anyway? What's wrong with that statement?
Not a direct replacement in terms of market positioning. I meant that this car would be a logical step up for people like me who want something a little more upscale.

Although if the price really ends up being close to $40K, there's no way I would even consider it. Especially if they really did cut the Recaros
Old 11-05-2010, 08:26 AM

Here's what I don't get...

1) OPC version already in production has AWD, turbo V6, 300hp, all the bits
2) We know Americans are at least somewhat biased against 4 cylinder engines as cars get larger
3) We know people love AWD when they have the option to buy it...whether they need it or not.

Sooooo...what does GM do?

1) Gives us 250hp
2) Gives us a 4 banger
3) Skips the AWD

Basically, took everything "GS" about it and watered it down. This car makes 10 more HP than the 2006 G6 GTP. We see how that one went

Anyone remember how the G6 was supposed to get a turbo, AWD etc., and the bean counters cut those 2 items?? Doesn't this smack of the same damn problem? Consider, the milquetoast DODGE AVENGER you guys are poo pooing on here has 285hp, as does the Chrysler 200. Neither of those have AWD, but they sure will be a whole lot cheaper...
Old 11-05-2010, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jason E

2) We know Americans are at least somewhat biased against 4 cylinder engines as cars get larger
3) We know people love AWD when they have the option to buy it...whether they need it or not.

1) Gives us 250hp
2) Gives us a 4 banger
3) Skips the AWD

Basically, took everything "GS" about it and watered it down. This car makes 10 more HP than the 2006 G6 GTP. We see how that one went

Anyone remember how the G6 was supposed to get a turbo, AWD etc., and the bean counters cut those 2 items?? Doesn't this smack of the same damn problem? Consider, the milquetoast DODGE AVENGER you guys are poo pooing on here has 285hp, as does the Chrysler 200. Neither of those have AWD, but they sure will be a whole lot cheaper...
Thank you for pointing this out Thats the problem with this car..the GS should of just come over as what the Opel is. no change.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:35 AM

This car makes 10 more HP than the 2006 G6 GTP. We see how that one went
The G6 had problems well beyond the GTP package....

They wouldn't at least be compared to an Audi in terms of refinement, handling, etc. either. Again, I'd like to see if all those who swear up and down that they'd pay near-C6 money for an AWD Buick sedan actually would do so when the chips were down.

Originally Posted by Caps94ZODG
the GS should of just come over as what the Opel is. no change.
No change, except a magically lower price? Again, the Insignia OPC stickers for around 45,000 euros. Who is paying 50,000+ USD for a Buick sedan in this market?

Last edited by Z28Wilson; 11-05-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:54 AM

Cool car or not, GM is getting ripped a new butt-hole on the internet. Even the typically easy crowd on Facebook is angry. I mean, the expectation was AWD and slightly more power than the concept's 255. Did GM think no one would notice - or say anything?

Unless GM is currently in a coma, I'd bet phones are ringing at the Ren Cen over this.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Cool car or not, GM is getting ripped a new butt-hole on the internet. Even the typically easy crowd on Facebook is angry. I mean, the expectation was AWD and slightly more power than the concept's 255. Did GM think no one would notice - or say anything?

Unless GM is currently in a coma, I'd bet phones are ringing at the Ren Cen over this.
These same people would be ripping GM a new cornhole by introducing a 300 HP AWD Buick that stickers for $45,000+ too.

I guess the big mistake GM made was elevating expectations with the concept. I guess I am just looking at this from a different angle. You know I can be critical of GM when warranted - comparing the prices of similar vehicles to the GS everybody "wanted"/expected I can't fault them for keeping this thing reasonable.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
The G6 had problems well beyond the GTP package....

They wouldn't at least be compared to an Audi in terms of refinement, handling, etc. either. Again, I'd like to see if all those who swear up and down that they'd pay near-C6 money for an AWD Buick sedan actually would do so when the chips were down.

No change, except a magically lower price? Again, the Insignia OPC stickers for around 45,000 euros. Who is paying 50,000+ USD for a Buick sedan in this market?
idk how well is the Opel selling over there at 45K?
GM presented a concept that was said to be what the production car will emulate. They take the two things that make this car. the hp and the AWD.

Basically the FUBARed on this. SOrry people wanted what they saw and were said to get. Now they get this. All the flack over this I say bring the car over as what was promised and eat it. Sorry. GM screwed up. Take the loss. get the praise of what a great car.
For the amount of money they spent in watering down this car they are now losign more in people bailing on what they thought they were going to get.

scrap this plan..bring the car over as it is with Opel, slap a 45K tag on it and people will buy it. Or bring it over as this detuned FWD car and lose more money for not selling as many as you would. What would you do?
Old 11-05-2010, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Caps94ZODG
scrap this plan..bring the car over as it is with Opel, slap a 45K tag on it and people will buy it.
Actually, 45k euros translates into about $63,000 USD right now. This makes a Buick-badged Opel OPC seem even more ludicrous....
Old 11-05-2010, 09:37 AM

I guess the big mistake GM made was elevating expectations with the concept. I guess I am just looking at this from a different angle. You know I can be critical of GM when warranted - comparing the prices of similar vehicles to the GS everybody "wanted"/expected I can't fault them for keeping this thing reasonable.
Sure. If decontenting brings it down to a reasonable price, then okay, they've done something. But if GM expects to sell these for $38 grand, then they've got a problem. Hey, if this car handles well and delivers acceptable acceleration, I'd still consider it for a daily driver. But not for A5/A4 money.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Hey, if this car handles well and delivers acceptable acceleration, I'd still consider it for a daily driver. But not for A5/A4 money.
If it's supposed to compete with the A4, then why not? Isn't that the goal, competing and priced competitively with the A4? Because an AWD turbocharged V6 Regal GS would certainly be more than A4 money.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:00 AM

If it's supposed to compete with the A4, then why not? Isn't that the goal, competing and priced competitively with the A4? Because an AWD turbocharged V6 Regal GS would certainly be more than A4 money.

The problem being that you can buy an A4 for $31,950 or add quattro for $32,850. Put a good price on the GS and I think most of the derision will fade away.

So if GM wants to decontent in order to reduce cost, then say so, and deliver fantastic value for the customer by undercutting Audi. They should make AWD at least optional though - just like the car they are trying to compete with.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:03 AM

1) Gives us 250hp
2) Gives us a 4 banger
3) Skips the AWD

Well look at it this way, they traded the AWD for a 6 speed manual. What would be more fun to drive, a heavier AWD car with an automatic, or the lighter FWD car with a manual?

You are also over looking the amount of torque this car has, 295 vs. 245 in that G6 GTP. With a stage 1 kit it should be good for at least 280HP/320tq. This car should also get around 30mpg, the Saab 9-3 Aero with the 2.8L V6 and AWD only gets 15/24mpg, SUV like mileage would turn off a lot of people.

I have no problem with their engine choice, but the AWD option would have been nice. Maybe it would have taken longer to get here if they did that, or maybe that is planned for 2013.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Z28x
Well look at it this way, they traded the AWD for a 6 speed manual. What would be more fun to drive, a heavier AWD car with an automatic, or the lighter FWD car with a manual?

It was never either/or. It was to get AWD and an M6.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by FUTURE_OF_GM
More OLD GM moves.
Some things will never change.

Quick Reply: Buick Regal GS exists, though a year late and without AWD...