Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles
View Poll Results: AWD as an option on the 5th gen...
Yay
50.98%
Nay
43.14%
Ghey (undecided)
5.88%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

AWD Camaro OPTION, yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 05:28 PM

AWD Camaro OPTION, yay or nay?

It looks like we need to get this out of our system again, as nearly half of these threads are turning into Camaro AWD debates

I am personally all for an AWD Camaro model/option. I've stated numerous reasons in other threads, but I'll just stick to the main reasons for now.

For one and probably the most obvious, there are all the folks in the snowbelt who percieve (and rightfully so) AWD as being superior to FWD and RWD in the snow. If you own a 4th gen and drive in the snow, you know who utterly impossible it is to even get out of your own driveway on a lot of days from December to March. This isn't always the case with other RWD cars, some are very easy to navigate in the snow, but the 4th gen just doesn't want to. Regardless if the 5th gen does alright, the perception of it being bad in snow exists in the snowbelt. Many (thousands) potential customers will pass up on a Camaro for an AWD or 4WD SUV or another car just for the sake of it having AWD. It makes business sense to offer this on the Camaro for this alone.

Two, this somewhat new trend of autocrossing has a lot of people begging for AWD sport cars. GM will be one of a precious few companies offering a very competitent vehicle for these guys. Can you imagine an LS2 powered AWD muscle car competing in something like this? It will have the EVO face first in the dirt.

Then there is the off-the-line performance. Those of us that are going to want a track king from the factory will be very interested in an AWD Camaro. All of the little stop light warriors will almost be untouchable. A similar RWD Camaro would need slicks and a lot more low end torque to keep up.

So not only does an AWD Camaro open up the market for thousands of petential buyers, it also will be great for the enthusiasts that like to have a supercar-esque performing vehicle for much under $40K. It has versatility, great handling, and awesome off the line performance. If GM can engineer its platform for AWD, then why not do it? If its just an option it shouldn't tick off the enthusiasts too much, as it will only make up a portion of sales, the Camaro will still be a RWD muscle coupe. And its even been said, if GM wants the next Camaro to sell, they are going to have to listen to us a little less, and listen to the market a lot more.

Discuss...
Old 10-27-2004, 05:50 PM

Re: AWD Camaro OPTION, yay or nay?

I'd like a smaller, lighter Camaro. SN-95 Size and Weight. An optimized chassis coming in at 3,200lbs loaded, with nimble handling to match. But since GM, if they actually ever get around to producing a Camaro will probably make a battle tank, they might as well make it AWD. I mean shoot, if it's 3800lbs like a GTO, what's another 200 for AWD?
Old 10-27-2004, 05:57 PM

As I said in the other thread, if they offer the highest hp Camaro with AWD, and it doesnt have a glass-jaw transfer case, I'll buy it, have Victorracer V700s on it and have it on the autox course the same day. Well, maybe I'll break it in
Old 10-27-2004, 06:01 PM

Well since this thread was started because of my coment in the CTS thread I'll through my 2 cents in here too.

I vote yes.

And my #1 reason is because I live in minnesota and Minnesota equals SNOW. An AWD Camaro means I can sell my winter car (currently a 1997 Blazer worth $6500). Hell the traction is even better on dry pavement. So I say "why not, I WANT AWD".
Old 10-27-2004, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck!
As I said in the other thread, if they offer the highest hp Camaro with AWD, and it doesnt have a glass-jaw transfer case, I'll buy it, have Victorracer V700s on it and have it on the autox course the same day. Well, maybe I'll break it in
My thoughts exactly.

Really though, the way I see it, any V8 300hp+ AWD sports coupe is going to cost real close to, if not north of $40k in this day and age, and thats just too damn much. The R&D needed to avoid the glass transmission and transfer case is just too much for a $25-$32k car.

Would I buy one? Yes.
Do I think it will happen in the price bracket Im looking at? No.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:17 PM

voted yes...i love AWD (and turbos)
Old 10-27-2004, 08:58 PM

I don't like AWD because when you get going pretty fast, and you try to make a turn you get understeer. Understeer not goooood, very scary. Plus, I have years of insulting Subaru WRXes and Lancer Evos under my belt; I don't want to be anything like them lol.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:19 PM

AWD isn't as much fun to drive either. Where's my burnouts and fishtails?
Old 10-27-2004, 09:41 PM

I would much rather see AWD on the Monte and\or Impala when they move to Zeta. I can't see adding the cost and weight of AWD to a Ponycar. Ponycars should be light and cheap (in cost not quality).
Old 10-27-2004, 10:33 PM

heck, while we're at it, let's go ahead and develop awd for the vette?
just imagine how awesome that would be
i would definately buy an awd vette, let me tell you that..
Old 10-28-2004, 12:33 AM

A AWD LSx Camaro would be a force to be reckoned with on the street and strip, I'm all for it. Burnouts and fishtailing are a waste of time I'd gladly give them up for the benefit of a AWD launch on the street. Nobody could touch you from a stop as most cars aren't running slicks on the street...

If they make it right it could come in under 3600 lbs with the AWD, I'd take that...

Of course it's all just a pipe dream, I doubt GM will even seriously consider it...

Last edited by Ray86IROC; 10-28-2004 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:41 AM

As much as I hate to say it... I think its going to happen... if not at introduction, then within a year or two down the road.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:42 AM

So you guys that want AWD should realize that it would weigh 4000 pounds and get 15/21MPG and have a nice big gas guzzler tax placed on it. I wonder how many would actually buy it then?

Please, no AWD on Camaro!
Old 10-28-2004, 12:42 AM

As long as the RWD Camaro was still there i'd be up for it, the RWD would be my pick though i think, once the RWD gets goin, its gonna pass the AWD........but then again, how long is it gonna take to catch up to the AWD. AWD would be cool but not on the Camaro, its supposed to be RWD, and wouldn't adding AWD also add onto more front end weight which is a problem already, or does that sorta thing not matter with AWD?
Old 10-28-2004, 12:44 AM

Unless they can spead the R&D costs over from saab or something I doubt it would ever happen. I think $40 would be a conservative estimate by the time you get IRS and all the other lux items you want.

I am kind of suprised of the support for AWD on here. The GTO didn't have scoops which seems pretty minor and everyone was in a big uproar. Now you want to change one of the major parts of the camaro( 2+2, RWD, V8) and change it. I would think the complaints would be very high even if it was just an option. Could be wrong though

Quick Reply: AWD Camaro OPTION, yay or nay?