Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Anyone think that the '05 Mustang is beginning to look alittle stale......already.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 07:24 PM

Anyone think that the '05 Mustang is beginning to look alittle stale......already.

I think I am.

I've seen some on the street, and...I don't know...they don't do a thing for me anymore, (THAT WAS FAST!).

I don't know what it is, maybe their proportions, maybe their long rear overhangs, maybe their larger size, maybe the way that their wheels don't fill their wheelwells. Maybe a combo of all of those things... but they are already looking abit stale to me.

Anyone else feel that way?
Old 11-20-2004, 07:34 PM

Re: Anyone think that the '05 Mustang is beginning to look alittle stale......already.

I see what you are saying, but, no, not yet. I still think it looks quite good.

TS
Old 11-20-2004, 07:37 PM

Re: Anyone think that the '05 Mustang is beginning to look alittle stale......already.

I haven't seen any on the roads yet, so no on my side. I'll try and test drive a GT next week (have this thing from Ford where i get a $50 mastercard gift-card for test driving any new Ford). I'll be able to get a better impression and overall feel of it come next week i guess after the test drive.

I hope we see an SE by next spring/summer to spice things up a bit more.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:41 PM

Re: Anyone think that the '05 Mustang is beginning to look alittle stale......already

Had a chance to visit local Ford dealership, saw my first GT. It was black with red leather interior. I am not a fan of the dashboard, that is retro and there's no denying that. Nothing wrong with retro, but just not quite my style. Having said that, the rest of the inerior (seats, door panels) looked just awesome.

I love the look of it from the front. It's very mean, and the proportions are aggressive, sporty and the design is just way cool. I like that the front wheels are moved closer to the front (BMW-like), it gives the car a much more refined look.

I dislike the rear overhang a little, but nothing too much. The rear is unimpressive as well. Appears that the front and side got all the treatment, while the rear leave a little to be desired.

All in all, a wonderful machine. I didn't think the wheelwells were particularly large, Z284ever, and I thought that the front wheel filled the gap VERY well. Maybe on closer look or after some time I will shape my opinion a little, but as it is, I like the car very much.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:55 PM

I saw my first one yesterday, and well it didn't do much for me, and I like mustangs too... and the back kinda sucked, but that's my opinion.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:06 PM

Blame the *** on it's platform; look at the Lincoln LS...Which, no doubt is also responsible for the "what? front overhang, where?"

Tab and I checked one out pretty closely at the TX State Fair and my only complaint were the tiny 235 series 17-inchers. They look as bad as base 16" wheels on 4th gens (in size at least). I'd like to see a car with 18 inchers, 245 F, 275(+) R. (Waiting patiently for the next Cobra)

But by no means do I think the styling is stale...I've still yet to have a road sighting...
Old 11-20-2004, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I think I am.

I've seen some on the street, and...I don't know...they don't do a thing for me anymore, (THAT WAS FAST!).

I don't know what it is, maybe their proportions, maybe their long rear overhangs, maybe their larger size, maybe the way that their wheels don't fill their wheelwells. Maybe a combo of all of those things... but they are already looking abit stale to me.

NO!
Old 11-20-2004, 08:20 PM

I agree, the styling seems a bit stale to me already. The long rear and short front overhangs do give it odd proportions. The wheels aren't the best on either model. Even the "tuner" concepts don't seem very exciting. Right now, the interior is probably the most attractive part of the car to me, but even that is a stretch with the thick, hard plastics that give a second-rate impression.

But it is a Mustang. Mustang people seem to like it. I'm sure there will be no lack of them on the road for the next few years. It's just not enough to rope me into the herd.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:39 PM

Outside of the concept Mustang, the real one doesnt do much.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:42 PM

No.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Stale? Are you kidding? If by "stale" you mean "doesn't blend in with every other family car on the road like the 'I look like the love-child of a Cavalier and Dodge Stratus' GTO" then YES the new Mustang is "stale".

The Mustang is one of the most easily recognizable cars on the road right now. It is unique and, in my opinion, very stylish. My friend loves his 05 Mustang GT and he gets a TON of attention when he's driving it.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:09 AM

It most definitely isn't stale. You should see the looks I get when I drive people. They stop whatever it is they are doing and stare. There is nothing I dislike about the car except the wheels and small tire size. Outside of that it's great. Here is a link to some pics if anyone is interested http://forums.modulardepot.com/showt...threadid=43178
Old 11-21-2004, 03:36 AM

I can't say yet because I just haven't seen any on the road. I went to a dealer to see in person. I find the car plain and boring, and the front bumper and lights in grill are terrible looking. I don't think the rear overhang is excessive and I don't think the car is too big. The last ones were too little but looked alot better than this car. I don't like M*stangs, but the previous cars were more aggressive and styled better. The front bumper overhang is just odd on the 05, you can put decent sized objects on it. I think the retroness in and out is kinda dumb and will lose popularity faster than many anticipated. Of course it will get alot of attention at first, that's what happens when new designs and styles come out. The ability to sustain that is the real factor.

But that's OK though, because F*rd sees and listens when it comes to the M*stang. If that should happen, they'll probably redesign or fix this and that and get it done quickly, the complete opposite of what the unresponsive and slow GM did with 4th Gens and everything else in recent years.

Last edited by IZ28; 11-21-2004 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:36 AM

Arrow Re: Anyone think that the '05 Mustang is beginning to look alittle stale......already.

Just curious how the '05 can have "more" overhang with an overall length of 188" and a wheelbase of 107.08" compared to the '04 car's overall length of 183.2" and wheelbase of 101.3". The '05 has 80.1" of total overhang, the '04 has 81.9" of total overhang.

FYI...the 4th gen F-body had an overall length of 193.5" on a wheelbase of 101.1", for a total overhang of a whopping 92.4". That's over a foot more than the '05 Mustang!
The 3rd gen F-body had an overall length of 192.6" on a wheelbase of 101", for a total overhang of 91.6".

Criticism of the '05 Mustang's overhang dimensions by F-body owners is almost funny and hypocritic at the same time.

In person, the rear overhang looks to be no more than the '99-'04 or '94-'98 Mustangs. The front gives the illusion of being less, but with the slightly rounded nose, it's probably close.
S.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:42 AM

can't say it looks stale to me... haven't even seen one in person yet. LOL maybe the styling isn't a big deal in st. louis.

Quick Reply: Anyone think that the '05 Mustang is beginning to look alittle stale......already.