Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles
View Poll Results: Which styling direction should the 6th gen Camaro take?
An evolution of the 5th gen.
58.76%
Something completely fresh.
41.24%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

6th gen Camaro styling poll.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 07:28 PM

Something fresh could turn out amazing, or absolutely horrid. It is a tough call.

I think it should stay with the trunk like the 5th gen instead of the hatch like the 3rd and 4th. Styling needs to say Camaro, that can be taken many ways, but at the end of the day it needs to be a hot car that stands out and lets people know it is a Camaro. I think the 5th gen did this perfectly. Great mix of modern (almost A&S) meets 1st gen.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:59 PM

I'm still not quite sure where I'm at on this. One thing I wonder about, is what carrying forward the current car's styling themes to a smaller car might bring as far as proportions and stance. Imagine the current design, but on an architecture with a lower cowl, lower beltline, and without dependence on 729 mm diameter tires to proportion it.

Could look very agressive and fresh while retaining evolutionary styling.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:44 PM

I'm having a hard time envisioning the "new" car because of the size. I just wonder what kind of proportions it will have. The long hood and short deck are what make it a pony car, will it be able to keep that? Or are we looking at something that might be proportioned more like a 2 door cobalt?
Old 02-15-2010, 02:08 AM

2nd gen offers more possibilities for an evolved design. I'd really like to see something based on that gen if "heritage styling cues" must be retained.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:26 AM

Don't go radical and don't make a Camaro 'Vette is my basic message to GM.

I voted 5G derivative. That applies to both inside and out styling cues but altered enough to give the car a fresh appearance.

One thing the 6G Camaro shouldn't morph into is another 'Vette. I hope GM learned a valuable lesson when they produced the 3rd and 4th Gen Camaros, when their popularity sunk to unprecedented lows. If that is what people are wanting, then you are almost guaranteeing the Camaro's premature demise, IMHO.

If the 6G will be smaller, then there is no need for a blown V8 motor, IMHO. A 7L GenV would be more than enough for most. Yes, I love my normally aspirated motors and never been a fan of blowers!

PS: Not that long ago I was also a fan of the same heritage renditions posted in this thread. Now, I'm not as convinced. In fact, those images look almost ghastly compared to the production 5G.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:28 AM

I voted for an evolution of the 5th gen...but when you think about it the 2nd gen was a radical departure from the 1st, the 3rd radical from the 2nd, the 4th radical from the 3rd and the 5th from the 4th.

I kinda think that's why the Mustang sells better, they maintain a lineage and the car is never a completely radical design just sort of an evolution of the car that came before.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:09 AM

Actually, I always saw the 3rd to 4th gen transition as evolutionary. The 1st to 2nd gen were completely new as were the 2nd to 3rd gen.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
I hope GM learned a valuable lesson when they produced the 3rd and 4th Gen Camaros, when their popularity sunk to unprecedented lows. If that is what people are wanting, then you are almost guaranteeing the Camaro's premature demise, IMHO.
GM can only pray to have a Camaro which sells in the same volumes as the old 3rd gen.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

I think that the limitations imposed on the car by the current design are too much, and I think they should start from scratch again. The blind spots are enormous, and the trunk opening is too small. If those two traits carry to the 6th gen, I won't buy one of those either.

That said, I love the way the 5th gen looks. If there's a way to evolve the design that solves those two issues, I'd be all for it. I just don't think it's possible, hence my suggestion that they start from scratch.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I think that the limitations imposed on the car by the current design are too much, and I think they should start from scratch again. The blind spots are enormous, and the trunk opening is too small. If those two traits carry to the 6th gen, I won't buy one of those either.

That said, I love the way the 5th gen looks. If there's a way to evolve the design that solves those two issues, I'd be all for it. I just don't think it's possible, hence my suggestion that they start from scratch.
Great points.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by zq8colorado04
I kinda think that's why the Mustang sells better, they maintain a lineage and the car is never a completely radical design just sort of an evolution of the car that came before.
The 79-93 cars were the odd guys out and the 94-2004 cars somewhat so, however the rest generally fall in line with Mustang's design heritage.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by zq8colorado04
Mustang II?

I would vote for evolutionary exterior, completely modern interior. I think one of the biggest reasons the 5th Gen will start to look dated is its size, not necessarily the styling queues.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:48 AM

SSbaby, you should review production numbers for 3rd gens. They were INCREDIBLY popular! Also I don't see how the 3rd to 4th gen transition can be seen as anything but evolutionary. the structure from the firewall back is nearly identical and just about everything swaps between them.

For the 6th gen, honestly I don't know! I can see either direction being great or a trainwreck... it all depends on what kind of emotional reaction it gives me when I see it.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:57 AM

I voted new design. I'm growing tired of all the retro 'cues' the Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, and supposed C7 are getting. Time to make something that's born in the 20-teens, instead of the 1960's.

I think the 5th gen looks good, but I don't want to see a 6th gen look much like a 5th gen, which looks a lot like the earlier generations. I feel the same way about the Vette. The C6 looks a lot like the C5. Time for something new (and by new I don't mean rehash the 2nd or 3rd gens...)
Old 02-15-2010, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Mustang II?

I would vote for evolutionary exterior, completely modern interior. I think one of the biggest reasons the 5th Gen will start to look dated is its size, not necessarily the styling queues.
Mustang =/= Mustang II....it's like Germany talking about the 1940's "Nothing happened here!"

Quick Reply: 6th gen Camaro styling poll.