Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

2013 Roush Mustang RS

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 04:39 PM

2013 Roush Mustang RS

How about a V6 Roush?

All new for the 2013 ROUSH Ford Mustang lineup is the ROUSH RS or "ROUSH Six" package. The ROUSH RS is based on the 3.7L-V6 Ford Mustang and receives an array of ROUSH engineered styling and handling components. Gary Jurick, General Manager of ROUSH Performance, states "The RS opens a new niche for ROUSH Performance, offering great fuel economy, a good level of power, at an economical price, while still embodying ROUSH's spirit of performance." The RS package starts at $4,000, pushes out 305 horsepower and gets up to 31 mpg highway.

Chassis improvements for the ROUSH RS Mustang include 19″ premium painted 2013 ROUSH RS Rear Sidealuminum wheels and tires, the same wheels and tires found on the factory Ford Mustang GT with Brembo brakes, and ROUSH lowering springs with progressive rate jounce bumper which will lower the car approximately one inch in the front and rear, thus reducing the car's center of gravity and providing quicker steering response and a better feel of the road. Enhancements to the RS body incorporate many of the R6 aerobody components featured on the ROUSH Stage vehicles including the high flow upper and lower grilles, front chin splitter, side rocker splitters and rear decklid spoiler.

The ROUSH RS Mustang comes with the distinct "R" fender badges and the "R" ROUSH faux gas cap. Also on display is the ROUSH windshield banner. Optional hood scoop, rear quarter window louvers, RS exterior side and hood graphics are also available.

Interior ROUSH RS Mustang upgrades include ROUSH embroidered floor mats, billet performance pedals and a ROUSH center console badge/button. Optional RS interior upgrades include GT charcoal leather seating or ROUSH sport leather seating along with white or black shifter ball and the suede wrapped performance steering wheel. ROUSH door sill plates are available with ambient lighting.

"We (ROUSH) are excited to offer a ROUSH package for all levels of the Ford Mustang line up," says Tim Wheeler, VP, Sales and Marketing of ROUSH Performance. "The RS will address the Mustang V6 owner that is looking for the ROUSH touch off the showroom floor." Great fuel economy, great price point, great fun, the ROUSH RS Mustang.
Autoblog story

The disappointing thing to me is that the engine is left completely untouched. On the other hand, at least you can say you have a Roush and the option is only $4000.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:20 PM

Re: 2013 Roush Mustang RS

There was a time when I would have poo-pooed this car, but I kinda like it
Old 06-07-2012, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by the pool boy
There was a time when I would have poo-pooed this car, but I kinda like it
I agree, those old V6's were trash. The roush packages on those were just a joke.

Now-a-days I think this package is well earned. Roush should of put a performance drive shaft in though (So they could remove the 113mph limiter). Wouldn't cost much, and would make this a good middle car between the V6 and the GT
Old 06-08-2012, 12:43 PM

I would think they would have at least put in some kind of cold air intake or exhaust upgrade. Something extra on the power side.

It's a good looking car.

And they found a good place to use all the extra Mustang GT wheels/tires they have left over from the other Roush conversions...
Old 06-08-2012, 02:47 PM

Roush needs to stop with the 70's window louvers.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Or at least install the flush mount louvers instead of the Lee Press-On stuff
Old 06-08-2012, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Originally Posted by bossco
Or at least install the flush mount louvers instead of the Lee Press-On stuff
You guys do know that the louvers are a Ford option, its $250. I believe its a dealer installed option though.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:00 AM
Lounge Moderator

Just like every Roush I used to drag-race...tons of appearance components and not a go-fast part in sight.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by King Moose SS
You guys do know that the louvers are a Ford options, its $250. I believe its a dealer installed option though.
Amazing the price people are willing to pay for tacky, I think CDC makes a much better looking flush mount setup.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
How about a V6 Roush?

Autoblog story

The disappointing thing to me is that the engine is left completely untouched. On the other hand, at least you can say you have a Roush and the option is only $4000.
I like it. I think the standard Ford dual exhaust work very well and subdue what is the typical V6 "blat-blat" exhaust sound. I understand the intake system is also already quite efficient, so there isn't much to do to the engine without getting serious and looking at heads or internal parts.

It's funny how barely a few years ago, top Mustang GT power was barely more than what the stock V6 puts out today... and gets 31mpg in the process.

Pretty soon, we'll have direct injection on those things and get not only a pretty sizable increase in horsepower, but also at least a couple more mpg as well.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Shockwave
Just like every Roush I used to drag-race...tons of appearance components and not a go-fast part in sight.
Thats because most people went in for the stage 1 or whatever they are calling it - pretty much suspension and appearence upgrades.

The full tilt Roush cars are pretty pricey close to the sort of bucks you would put down for a GT500 (caveat: 2013 GT500 - paying 65 large for a Roush which is essentially a GT with a suprcharger kit and tuned suspension doesn't seem worth it - so maybe there is some wiggle room again for the tuners).

Like someone mentioned above, just ditching the factory driveshaft and bumping or eliminating the speed limiter would make the Roush RS impressive without resorting to a full on tune.

Now if I were Roush and wanted to do a kick *** V6 car, I'd set my sights on the Boss LS and do what I had to do to embarrass it at someplace like VIR - a tall order, but that would certainly get people's attention.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by bossco
Now if I were Roush and wanted to do a kick *** V6 car, I'd set my sights on the Boss LS and do what I had to do to embarrass it at someplace like VIR - a tall order, but that would certainly get people's attention.
Certainly possible. But there is a problem.

This would be an expensive proposition. You may be able to come in under the cost of a Boss LS if you were good at what you were doing, but it wouldn't have as good of reliability. Then there would be the issue of making your money back, which would be difficult, as the number of people willing to buy a super V6 is very low when you factor in that they can simply go to Ford and get a comparable V8 with the full warranty direct from a dealership.