Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

2012 Corvette ZR1 Shaves 6 Seconds off 'Ring Time

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 09:14 AM

Re: 2012 Corvette ZR1 Shaves 6 Seconds off 'Ring Time

Originally Posted by bossco
I wonder how the 2nd gen GY Supercar tires would rate? The 1st gen tires were absolute crap.
I don't have firsthand experience with the 2nd gen Supercar tires but the consensus from those that have them is that they are marginally better and some have said they are even worse.

It's a shame it took GM 5 years to offer a tire on the Z06 actually capable of benefitting the cars performance as opposed to hindering it.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:36 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%BCrburgring_lap_times

ZR1 is now ahead of the Nissan GT-R and Viper ACR
Old 06-10-2011, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x

That is awesome, but the Z06 (might have been the Carbon) was keeping up with the 2011 GT-R in one of the magazine tests a few months ago with a pro driver behind the wheel. Anyone remember the details?

Just makes me think a new time for the Z06 would really surprise people. I think easy low 7:30's, which would put it in some pretty rare air.

Come on GM! Corvette sales can use all the positive media hype they can get these days!
Old 06-10-2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Northwest94Z
I don't have firsthand experience with the 2nd gen Supercar tires but the consensus from those that have them is that they are marginally better and some have said they are even worse.

It's a shame it took GM 5 years to offer a tire on the Z06 actually capable of benefitting the cars performance as opposed to hindering it.
I have only driven a C5 Z06 briefly that had Supercar tires. In what area was it lacking, and where are the improvements/failings of the new ones?
Old 06-10-2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x

Repost... in the same thread... heck, the same page!
Old 06-10-2011, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Northwest94Z
I can see marginally better, but no way they could be worse (well maybe wet weather) The G2 GYSC tires are repsonsible for much of the improvement in the current GT500 which we saw some months ago on a a VIR vid and the tires generate more lateral grip thanthe Pirelli Corsa fitted to the Boss Mustang -> I know there is more to a tire than hard numbers and thats an area Michelin really shines in. In a recent test with Michelin PS2's as the reference tire, it was middle of road in dry handling and good wet handling but offered the best feedback and recovery of the tested tires.

The Sport Cup is a completely different animal though and IIRC the Sport Cups fitted to the ZR1 aren't off them shelf components either (which is the case in alot of OE fitments).
Old 06-11-2011, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
I have only driven a C5 Z06 briefly that had Supercar tires. In what area was it lacking, and where are the improvements/failings of the new ones?
The GY Supercars the C5 Z ran versus the C6 Z were vastly different. Since the release of the C6 Z GY has released another version of the GY Supercar tire.

The C5 GY's were not runflats. There was a can of fix a flat in the trunk to use if a tire ever went down. Both versions of the Supercar tires for the C6 are EMT or runflats.

Going all the way back to the C5 Z Supercar tires I can tell you having owned a C5 Z as well that the GY's were worse than the first gen Supercar tires of the C6 Z. Dry traction was mediocre and forget about driving in the wet. I've driven on bald rears before on my 94 Z28 before I sold it and there were times that the C5 Z GY's felt like bald tires while driving in the rain. Bad enough that I made a point to avoid driving it in the rain until I went to a set of Khumo's once the GY's wore out.

The first gen GY Supercar EMT tires sold on the C6 Z were better than their predecessors in the dry specifically in the first 6 months in the dry and much better in the wet. You could actually drive in the rain without the back of the car moving sideways cruising down the hwy.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:56 AM

I can see marginally better, but no way they could be worse (well maybe wet weather) The G2 GYSC tires are repsonsible for much of the improvement in the current GT500 which we saw some months ago on a a VIR vid and the tires generate more lateral grip thanthe Pirelli Corsa fitted to the Boss Mustang -> I know there is more to a tire than hard numbers and thats an area Michelin really shines in. In a recent test with Michelin PS2's as the reference tire, it was middle of road in dry handling and good wet handling but offered the best feedback and recovery of the tested tires.

The Sport Cup is a completely different animal though and IIRC the Sport Cups fitted to the ZR1 aren't off them shelf components either (which is the case in alot of OE fitments).
Yeah no first hand experience to report on the new Supercars but my opinion was poor enough on the original Supercars that I just switched over to Nitto NT-05's since the GY's were shot at 14k. Much better dry traction especially from a stop and I'm seeing consistently higher numbers on the g-meter on my favorite on ramp. Only draw back is a softer ride but then they aren't EMT's.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:03 AM

Amazing ride. GM is very lucky to have Jim Mero at the helm after Heinricy.

7:19 is very impressive. Supercar territory at a Chevy price.

I'd like to see how ZL1 does.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
I'd like to see how ZL1 does.
Ford has been seen testing GT500 mules at the ring, hopefully we will start to hear about some lap times from both cars as it would seem odd for GM not to have the ZL1 there if only for the publicity.

Daygonit, whish I knew how to embed videos but here is the proof

http://youtu.be/yoy73vGwQWg

Last edited by bossco; 06-14-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:47 PM

Ford has been seen testing GT500 mules at the ring, hopefully we will start to hear about some lap times from both cars as it would seem odd for GM not to have the ZL1 there if only for the publicity.

Daygonit, whish I knew how to embed videos but here is the proof

http://youtu.be/yoy73vGwQWg
If Ford is gonna start doing some Nurburgring testing then I'd be very curious to see how GT500 SVTPP and BOSS 302 Laguna perform.

I'd imagine we'll get some ZL1 Ring info once it gets closer to production since we've all seen the ZL1 test mules there.

It's still amazing to me to see American nameplates that would have probably been laughed off Germany's green hell in decades past are now performing well there. I would have laughed too if GM had said they were gonna use the Ring to test/develop the 5th Gen Camaro.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:33 AM

Talking Re: 2012 Corvette ZR1 Shaves 6 Seconds off 'Ring Time

Originally Posted by Pentatonic
Either way, I never thought I'd see the day where you could walk into a Chevy dealership and buy a car for a bit over $100k that was one of the top dogs on a track like the Nurburgring; eclipsing cars like the Ferrari Enzo and every model Lamborghini out there.
I always knew it. Chevrolet is the best in the business. They build some pretty awesome vehicles.