Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

After stereo install my speakers will stop working after i hit a bump?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 09:23 AM

Angry After stereo install my speakers will stop working after i hit a bump?!?!?!?

What is going on. If i hit a bump hard enough the head unit still shows on and it shows that it is still playing(equalizer) and it seems to work fine except the fact that it doesnt come out from the speakers.

Then i hit some small bumps and it starts to come back for like 1 second at a time. Then i hit a big bump and it will come back completely until i hit another large bump.

Almost like the wires are grounding out or something.
What can i look for and where to see what is going on?

I would take it back to the stereo place but they are closed till tuesday and i will be outta town anyway.
Old 08-02-2002, 10:33 AM

If you just replaced the head unit, I'd say the either a ground wire or a speaker wire at the back came loose from its electrical tape. IF you replaced speakers as well, it could be a loose wire at a speaker.

Or its skipping really bad?
Old 08-02-2002, 10:51 AM

Nope it doesnt skip at all.

And would a speaker wire make all the speakers stop working???

They all just stop with a bump.
Old 08-02-2002, 11:08 AM

Are all the speakers running of an amp? or right off the deck?

You said the CD player stays on when the sound is gone?

Shon

------------------
2000 Mercury Cougar Special Edition
----------------------------
http://www.geocities.com/bustatail.geo/smith.html
Old 08-02-2002, 11:13 AM

Nope no amp and no subs. Speakers run straight from the deck. My stereo isnt all that yet.

Where would they ground it at?? Maybe i could check there
Old 08-02-2002, 11:19 AM

If your CD player stays on, I'd check the plug behind the head unit. Most decks have a plug for power/ground/dimmer, etc, and a seperate plug for your speaker outs. My guess would be one of the plugs isn't quite locked in.

If the CD player is turning off too, then I'd def. check that ground.

Shon

------------------
2000 Mercury Cougar Special Edition
----------------------------
http://www.geocities.com/bustatail.geo/smith.html
Old 08-03-2002, 11:55 AM

Hmm took the whole head unit out of the car. All of it was plugged in. Turned on the car and the unit came on and the equalizer showed it was playing music.(but there was no sound) So i beat on the head unit seeing if it was the unit that was messing up and when i hit a bump if it was just something internally wrong with it.

But it didnt do a thing. So i put everything back and got in the car to go get something to drink. Hit a few small bumps the music scrathes in then out hit a big bump and it comes to life like nothing was wrong.

Then on the way back hit the same hard bump and it goes off again. Get at home turn off the car. And it sounds as if the stereo is playing ever so softly but could never make it out.

Something has to be wrong. I dont think its the head unit(it used to be in my truck and it never once did this) plus i beat on the head unit by hand.

So something has to be grounding out somewhere right? But what can make all 4 speakers just stop playing?

I am sooo confused i love to hear music and drive WAY too much not to have anything to listen to.

Thanks for all your help
Old 08-03-2002, 02:39 PM

Did you replace speakers too? It sounds to me like one of the speaker wires is shorting to ground.

Drive the car until the stereo stops working then with it still not working remove the HU and test the speaker resistances with a DMM (digital multimeter). One should be different from the others. When you find which one you can remove the speaker and see what's going on.

------------------
'96 Firebird Formula M6
Performance
Custom cut-out, Homemade 4" CAI with 9" cone filter, !CAGS, TB Bypass, Energy Suspension Trans. Mount, Taylor 8mm Wires, Pro 5.0 shifter, LCAs, Stock 3.42 gears
Stereo
Sony Xplod MP450X MP3 Headunit, Sony XE-90MKII Half DIN EQ, MTX RTX01A Crossover, 2 12" Clarions, powered by 2 Bridged Kenwood KAC-728S amps, Infinity Reference Series component set up front, powered by Kenwood KAC-628, EFX 1 farad cap, 4 gauge wire to cap, 10 gauge to amps

Pic