Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

2007 Ls460

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 03:00 PM

2007 Ls460

Lexus' new flagship sedan has been spied. Caught on a testing run at a filling station in Kingman, Ariz., the new LS mules reveal more about the future of the Toyota brand's big four-door.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/imag...YPAYYJXWTR.jpg
Among the test fleet of four vehicles, there was also the current LS430, nicely parked next to the prototype of its replacement. At first sight one might not notice the difference between the two cars, but looking closer it is quite obvious. The new one on the left has bigger tires, is wider, and parts of the body look handmade. Also note the fender bulges front and rear, needed to cover the extra-wide tires mounted on large-diameter wheels. Along with the Lexus cars they had company from a BMW 7-Series and a Mercedes S-Class, which were included in the test fleet to give a direct side-by-side driving comparison of the Lexus with its top competitors.

The replacement LS sedan is expected to have a 4.6-liter V-8 engine, which would naturally result in the car being renamed as the LS460. Along with the more powerful engine will come the usual improvements to luxury, safety, and electronics that Lexus builds into each new vehicle.

Lexus will also offer a hybrid version of the LS460. The hybrid version is rumoured to be named the LS600h, and will combine Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive with a V-8 engine.

The 2007 Lexus LS460 is expected for fall 2006, and the hybrid model will likely be introduced several months later. The computer rendering above shows what the production model might look like.

Last edited by Gripenfelter; 10-05-2005 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:41 PM

Re: 2007 Ls460

I'm glad you said the first image was a computer rendering - in other words a guess - because I was about to say that looks way too much like the IS and GS that are already out. I mean the whole LF-X concept styling is a much needed and appreciated boost to their lineup's previously conservative styling themes, but if that's really what the LS ends up looking like I think too many people are going to have a hard time telling the IS apart from the GS apart from the LS. Not that I couldn't, but I just know how non-car people are.

And yeah the 4.6L V8 has been known about for quite some time now... safe/conservative power estimates are 350hp SAEII... LS600H should be at or over 400hp with great gas milage to boot. The LS600 may only be available in extended wheelbase version though, which I can understand from a marketing perspective but from an enthusiast perspective it still kinda sucks.

The current LS430 is still the most silent and smoothest riding car under 100k dollars on the road today, so one can only imagine the LS460 will be even more impressive.

The nicest thing about the LS460 is the fact that they've stroked out the new motor to 5.0 liters and are considering putting it in the new IS and calling it the IS500 - made to compete with the BMW M3. 400hp naturally aspirated and a price significantly lower tham the M3 as well.

Kinda cool to see Lexus finally give a damn about competing in the luxury performance arena as they never really have in the past.